• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

Dogfrog

Love going to good theaters. The ones with lounging seats, alcohol, and relatively expensive to keep small kids away. I find people who frequent these theaters are less likely to be obnoxious during the movie. Really liked the Angelica / Sundance in Houston and 7th st movie tavern in FW.

I like the big screen and pretty much get lost in a good movie.

Last movie I saw was All the Money in the World and I liked it. Folks who like constant action and noise might not care for it. True story (as much as a movie can be)

Bob

This is the least shocking thing you’ve ever said on kfc, and I don’t even know what it means.
Get the picture?
imagesca3s53ba.jpg

Anybody else here have moviepass? It is greatness. $9.99 a month and you can see as many movies as you want per month (limit one per day). I see so many more movies now that I used to. My wife and will go to studio movie grill during the week and all we have to pay for is the dinner. Sometimes movie theatres can be hassle and less than ideal way to watch a movie but if it is just $10 a month then each movie is pretty cheap.

I have the Kodi app and can watch movies in theaters for free.

PurpleBlood87

I loved Dunkirk. Thought it was great, the way they did it. If you want character development or something like that stay away. But if you want to see what those men went through, it definitely fills that tank.

For me the Spitfire glide was ridiculous. That plane didn't have enough altitude to do what it did. Plus I like a continuous story line.

SwissArmyFrog

I watched "Bullit" last night on TCM. A movie classic in anyone's book.

I actually decided to get a matching set of one of McQueen's outfits from "Bullitt". Took a couple of weeks:

- Gray slacks - easy find.
- Blue turtleneck - went to a number of stores, but found a good one
- Brown herringbone jacket - had issues. Found one, didn't care for it. Found some corduroy, but didn't care for them. Found a like-new brown jacket, 85% cashmere, 15% mink for $150 at an upscale used clothing store. Completely forgot the herringbone :)

Movies

Highly recommend "Downfall". Bruno Ganz is the best Hitler, ever. By far. Then watch some of the Hitler rants parodies on YT. Here's one of my favorites (though it is not a rant):

We saw "Darkest Hour," the Winston Churchill movie. It was good, but not great. Oldman is great, but the movie doesn't rise about 'good' for some reason.

Tons of people keep telling me to see "The Greatest Showman," but for some reason I can't get excited about it. When we went to see "La La Land" I knew nothing about it. 30 seconds in, I ask my wife, "is this a musical?" Told yes, I spent half of the movie in the lobby and in the bathroom.

If you liked "Hacksaw Ridge," you will LOVE the documentary on Desmond Doss's life, "The Conscientious Objector". Full length, and is on Youtube. As impressive as Doss's feats are in the movie, when you watch the documentary, you see that the movie just couldn't include everything - incredible.

sketchy

Just watched IT. I’m not afraid of clowns, but I do get freaked out when movies have demons in them.

IT was perhaps the most boring movie I was strong armed into watching in the last year or so.
Unfortunately, now my kids are strong arming me into watching Stranger Things.....the most boring TV show I’ve watched in quite some time.

I need to man-up, and stop letting my kids rule the roost.

Frog DJ

I'm starting this because I've kind of been wanting to start one for a while and also because I just watched one of the worst westerns I've seen in a long long time and am hopeful that this thread will stop others from wasting money on certain movies like The Last Jedi or wasting time on a western like In a Valley of Violence.

So feel free to suggest movies worth seeing and those worth avoiding, be they old or new and famous or not well known.

As to In a Valley of Violence....it's bad, just really bad. I was kind of taking it in a ho hum way grinding through it until one of the last scenes with John Travolta standing in between two gun fighters. AVOID THIS MOVIE unless you like long winded badly written badly acted laughable stupidity.
Everyone do yourselves a favor and watch "Godless" on Netflix.

With music by T. Bone Burnett - with whom I graduated from Paschal.

It's truly magnificent!

Go Frogs!

Chongo94

I actually decided to get a matching set of one of McQueen's outfits from "Bullitt". Took a couple of weeks:

- Gray slacks - easy find.
- Blue turtleneck - went to a number of stores, but found a good one
- Brown herringbone jacket - had issues. Found one, didn't care for it. Found some corduroy, but didn't care for them. Found a like-new brown jacket, 85% cashmere, 15% mink for $150 at an upscale used clothing store. Completely forgot the herringbone :)

Movies

Highly recommend "Downfall". Bruno Ganz is the best Hitler, ever. By far. Then watch some of the Hitler rants parodies on YT. Here's one of my favorites (though it is not a rant):

We saw "Darkest Hour," the Winston Churchill movie. It was good, but not great. Oldman is great, but the movie doesn't rise about 'good' for some reason.

Tons of people keep telling me to see "The Greatest Showman," but for some reason I can't get excited about it. When we went to see "La La Land" I knew nothing about it. 30 seconds in, I ask my wife, "is this a musical?" Told yes, I spent half of the movie in the lobby and in the bathroom.

If you liked "Hacksaw Ridge," you will LOVE the documentary on Desmond Doss's life, "The Conscientious Objector". Full length, and is on Youtube. As impressive as Doss's feats are in the movie, when you watch the documentary, you see that the movie just couldn't include everything - incredible.

According to my mom, who hated La La Land and wanted to walk out, that Greatest Showman or whatever is amazing.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
IT was perhaps the most boring movie I was strong armed into watching in the last year or so.
Unfortunately, now my kids are strong arming me into watching Stranger Things.....the most boring TV show I’ve watched in quite some time.

I need to man-up, and stop letting my kids rule the roost.
Uncommon opinion about Stranger Things.

Chongo94

Watched The Boxer again tonight. Think you can find it on amazon or iTunes. I own it so can't remember where you can find it. Anyway, if you liked '71 (which if you didn't see, whoa, see that) you'll like this. Plus, your wife/significant other should also be able to get into it, kinda has a bit of a war torn love story.

It's about an ex-IRA member who gets out of prison but messed around with another IRA member's wife which is a no no apparently. Daniel Day-Lewis stars.

Chongo94

Also, if at all interested in the Troubles period, here's another movie to check out that's based on a true story, Fifty Dead Men Walking. Throwing in the trailer to '71 as well cause that's worth watching too.

SwissArmyFrog

Most enjoyable movie I saw last year was the Tom Cruise movie about him 'working' for the government flying drugs between the USA and Central (South?) America. Lots of fun.

True story, too.