• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

HToady

I watched "Bullit" last night on TCM. A movie classic in anyone's book. I noticed during the car chase that they passed the same green VW bug 4 times, so I guess they were just circling the block a bunch of times. Also, the black Charger loses a hubcap every time it rounded a corner. I counted 6, but remarkably it still had all 4 i the final shot.

The funniest though, was watching them trying to receive a photograph from Chicago to San Francisco in 1968. They had this great big machine sitting on a table that they attached a phone receiver to the top, loaded it with mimeograph paper and watched this drum spin around until the photo finally came out of one end. In the scene the 4 men stared at this machine for at least two minutes with no dialog at all while waiting for this picture to pop out. It was quite funny.....

P

purplePPO

I'm starting this because I've kind of been wanting to start one for a while and also because I just watched one of the worst westerns I've seen in a long long time and am hopeful that this thread will stop others from wasting money on certain movies like The Last Jedi or wasting time on a western like In a Valley of Violence.

So feel free to suggest movies worth seeing and those worth avoiding, be they old or new and famous or not well known.

As to In a Valley of Violence....it's bad, just really bad. I was kind of taking it in a ho hum way grinding through it until one of the last scenes with John Travolta standing in between two gun fighters. AVOID THIS MOVIE unless you like long winded badly written badly acted laughable stupidity.

I usually refer to Rotten Tomatoes as a gauge for movies that I will see at the theater. If its anything 80% or above I will usually spend money and see the movie, anything less I will wait till it's out on DVD if then.
Having said that I broke one of my own cardinal rules and spent money on The Last Jedi. It was rated at 58% approval. I should have listened, very disappointed in that movie.

Chongo94

I usually refer to Rotten Tomatoes as a gauge for movies that I will see at the theater. If its anything 80% or above I will usually spend money and see the movie, anything less I will wait till it's out on DVD if then.
Having said that I broke one of my own cardinal rules and spent money on The Last Jedi. It was rated at 58% approval. I should have listened, very disappointed in that movie.

Same here. I figured it was just super Star Wars fans that were hating it...noooope. That's just a bad movie.

Badly written. Tremendously weird and forced humor. Couldn't care less about any of the new characters now. Still am not certain what the actual point/plot of this one was about. Just awful.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Same here. I figured it was just super Star Wars fans that were hating it...noooope. That's just a bad movie.

Badly written. Tremendously weird and forced humor. Couldn't care less about any of the new characters now. Still am not certain what the actual point/plot of this one was about. Just awful.
There’s still only 3 Star Wars movies to me. And darn Rogue One for officially taking Shadows of the Empire out of official canon.

Chongo94

There’s still only 3 Star Wars movies to me. And darn Rogue One for officially taking Shadows of the Empire out of official canon.

Definitely had to google that. I liked Rogue One a lot though. Far better than any of this other crap they've put out. Seemed like it captured more of the originals feel than any of the other new ones.

jack the frog

Don’t know who Elvis’ granddaughter is, but I’m guessing she’s hot.

She is Riley Keough, The Girlfriend Experience chick. Surprised me when I first heard that but she has a family resemblance when you look. There may be another actor granddaughter in the mix but she is the most famous I believe.

Chongo94

Don’t know who Elvis’ granddaughter is, but I’m guessing she’s hot.

Riley Keough
rileykeough-bikini03.jpg

Paint It Purple

Good Modern Movies List
I will avoid the movies that most everyone will have seen and are on television often.

Westerns:
Bone Tomahawk
The Salvation
Forsaken

Comedy:
Klown
What We Do In The Shadows (you will like this one or hate it)

Foreign Films:
El Secreto De Sus Ojos
Relatos Salvajes
The Hunt
The Lives Of Others
Memories Of Murder
Timecrimes
Subtitled in English. Terrific film and story. "Run Boy Run" tells the true story of Yoram Israel Fridman, who was smuggled out of the Warsaw Ghetto at age eight. Escaping WWII and the death camps.

PurpleBlood87

Hope black and white movies are acceptable
John Wayne and Robert Montgomery in "They Were Expendable" at PT Boat Skippers during the fall of the Phillipines.
A zany comedy "Arsenic and Old Lace."
And one is a little more recent "The Numbers Station."

Oh one more Russell Crowe in "The Water Diviner."

Last edited:

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Hope black and white movies are acceptable
John Wayne and Robert Montgomery in "They Were Expendable" at PT Boat Skippers during the fall of the Phillipines.
A zany comedy "Arsenic and Old Lace."
And one is a little more recent "The Numbers Station."

Oh one more Russell Crowe in "The Water Diviner."
Water Diviner was great. It just came on whatever movie channel I had on during a lazy weekend and it was a treat.