• The KillerFrogs

OT - Movies thread

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Is anyone else in a marriage where your wife loves going to the movie theater and you hate it?

I love movies, but hate going to the theater. My TV at home is awesome, I’ll just wait.

We tried Wonder Woman the other night after a couple of her friends recommended it to her. It was mediocre and we didn’t finish... the chick was hot though.

And while it isn’t technically a movie, Godless is awesome. It’s only 6 or 7 episodes, so it’s kind of Lonesome Dove length, so it could be considered movie-esque.

Has anyone seen Gold with McConaughey? I recorded that the other day and am planning on giving it a watch.
Completely agree, I can’t stand to go to a theater.

Do you know what kind of people go to the movies?

Other people.

Chongo94

Good list.
To the Western genre I would add the Austrian movie Dark Valley and to the WWII/Cold War theme of The Lives of Others I would add Downfall. Dark Valley is a good movie with a great soundtrack while Downfall is just a great movie period.

Downfall sucks you in. That's a great movie. Plus that one scene has earned all time meme YouTube status ha.

Chongo94

Is anyone else in a marriage where your wife loves going to the movie theater and you hate it?

I love movies, but hate going to the theater. My TV at home is awesome, I’ll just wait.

We tried Wonder Woman the other night after a couple of her friends recommended it to her. It was mediocre and we didn’t finish... the chick was hot though.

And while it isn’t technically a movie, Godless is awesome. It’s only 6 or 7 episodes, so it’s kind of Lonesome Dove length, so it could be considered movie-esque.

Has anyone seen Gold with McConaughey? I recorded that the other day and am planning on giving it a watch.

Report on your thoughts of Gold when you watch it please. I've heard middling things but I've been wanting to give it a chance.

Peacefrog

Degenerate

Completely agree. I have so many issues with movie theaters but the biggest are:

1. Other people. And their noises. So many noises. Stop squeaking your darning straw already. And eating popcorn shouldn't be louder than a THX theater.

2. No pause button. So I pay a ridiculous amount to watch a movie one time but if I have to take a leak I just have to miss part of it and no way to get it back? Nope. Would rather spend the $20+ to buy it when it comes out.

3. Unless a theater sells adult beverages I'm not going. I can have a drink at home while watching. I should be able to do so at the theater. However this leads us back to issue #2. See above.

4. My couch/chair is more comfortable.

5. I spent hard earned money to be able to watch a movie at home on a big screen with superior sound. Why would I leave the house to pay money to do the same?

My theory is this: movie theaters are for kid movies and action blockbusters that you dont really care about. They are not the place to see the movie you really want to see and/or requires full attention. Some jackwagon will ruin the experience. Guaranteed.

flyfishingfrog

Cars 3 was awesome. If you want to sell a kidney and take your kid to Disneyland California Adventures, Cars Land is amazing. It makes you feel like you’re in Radiator Springs.

As for movies, taking my 5 year old to see Jumanji tomorrow. Darn you PG-13 rating!
Zoology [ hundin]!

My 10 yr old grandson loved it
A few unnecessary cuss words like the one above but overall it’s pretty tame - not sure what got it the 13 rating really

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Movie geekdom confirmed - my watch list:

Molly's Game
The Post
Black Panther 16 Feb 18
Annihilation 24 Feb 18
Red Sparrow 2 Mar 18
Wrinkle in Time 9 Mar 18
7 days in Entebbe 18 Mar 18
Mary Magdalen 30 Mar 18
Avengers Infinity Wars 4 May 18
Han Solo 25 May 18
Oceans 8 8 Jun 18
Ant-Man and The Wasp 6 July 18
Alita 20 July 18
Predators 3 August 18
Mary, Queen of Scots 2 Nov 18
X-men: Dark Phoenix 2 Nov 18
Fantastic Beasts 2 17 Nov 18
Star Wars IX 20 Dec 18
Avengers Five 3 May 19
Bond 8 Nov 19
Toy Story 4 2019
Captain Marvel 2019

PurplFrawg

Administrator
My theory is this: movie theaters are for kid movies and action blockbusters that you dont really care about. They are not the place to see the movie you really want to see and/or requires full attention. Some jackwagon will ruin the experience. Guaranteed.

blazing-saddles-355.jpg

BABYFACE

Completely agree. I have so many issues with movie theaters but the biggest are:

1. Other people. And their noises. So many noises. Stop squeaking your darning straw already. And eating popcorn shouldn't be louder than a THX theater.

2. No pause button. So I pay a ridiculous amount to watch a movie one time but if I have to take a leak I just have to miss part of it and no way to get it back? Nope. Would rather spend the $20+ to buy it when it comes out.

3. Unless a theater sells adult beverages I'm not going. I can have a drink at home while watching. I should be able to do so at the theater. However this leads us back to issue #2. See above.

4. My couch/chair is more comfortable.

5. I spent hard earned money to be able to watch a movie at home on a big screen with superior sound. Why would I leave the house to pay money to do the same?

Rave has luxury recliner lounge chairs. Very comfortable. Some of them serve alcohol. Movie Tavern 7th street also meets the booze criteria.

TCUBetterThanYou

Agree with Godless. Really fun watch.

I started watching The Deuce this weekend. Pretty damn good, but you have to have a strong stomach for sleaze.