• The KillerFrogs

2017 Coaching Carousel

Wexahu

So a program that has averaged over 9 wins a year for over 40 years doesn't have staying power?

Curious who exactly is a blue blood in your opinion.

USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Michigan and Ohio State. Could maybe throw Penn State and LSU in there too. I just think Florida State is a notch or two below, that's just my opinion.

W

Way of the Frog

USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, Michigan and Ohio State. Could maybe throw Penn State and LSU in there too. I just think Florida State is a notch or two below, that's just my opinion.

If Texas, Michigan are on that list it is my belief that FSU belongs on that list as they have outperformed either program for the past 40 years.

LSU?

W

Way of the Frog

Invented Gatorade Steve Spurrier years??? Tebow total domination of SEC before Bama took over? It is subjective and they have sucked lately a lot.

Could be wrong, but I think Spurrier won 2 conference titles in his time at UF.

And I don’t remember Winston being guilty of sexual assault. I remember him being accused and the state attorney saying there is no evidence to prosecute and that her story changed so often she wasn’t credible. And I don’t care if both coaches are cheaters.
I know this will sound like a conversation at Chipolte, however, I have a very close friend that is very connected at Florida State. If Jimbo leaves, my friend will throw a lavish party. He has said that if all of the facts regarding James Winston were ever made public, FSU would probably get the death penalty. He was so upset about the "dirtiness" involved over it, he gave up his 50 yd. line season tickets he has had for 30 years, and ceased any contributions. Said he didn't want to be associated with the scum that was running the football program.

Moose Stuff

The issue was whether Fisher was a good coach. He took over for Bowden and immediately had a better season than any of the previous 10. I’d say he must be a good coach. And I said he took over an established program, then you posted three paragraphs about Bobby Bowden being great.

And I don’t remember Winston being guilty of sexual assault. I remember him being accused and the state attorney saying there is no evidence to prosecute and that her story changed so often she wasn’t credible. And I don’t care if both coaches are cheaters. Jimbo did better with bowden’s players than Bowden did, so hard to say he wasn’t a good coach.

While he may not have been found guilty of sexual assault, he and the school both gave that girl a boat load of $$$ to make it go away.

W

Way of the Frog

While he may not have been found guilty of sexual assault, he and the school both gave that girl a boat load of $$$ to make it go away.

Winston paying that girl $950K to settle a civil lawsuit really doesn't mean a thing.

I am sure the lawyers among us agree it is a sound legal strategy to pay that much to settle a baseless lawsuit.

PO Frog

Winston paying that girl $950K to settle a civil lawsuit really doesn't mean a thing.

I am sure the lawyers among us agree it is a sound legal strategy to pay that much to settle a baseless lawsuit.
he didn't pay $950k, and baseless lawsuits settle all the time. I settled with an employee for $8k last year because she claimed I didn't let her take lunch breaks. Would have cost me $50k to defend it. Great lawyer you must be.

W

Way of the Frog

he didn't pay $950k, and baseless lawsuits settle all the time. I settled with an employee for $8k last year because she claimed I didn't let her take lunch breaks. Would have cost me $50k to defend it. Great lawyer you must be.

My mistake. FSU settled for the $950K and I believe his was undisclosed.

Not a lawyer, but I am a ass and based upon your example if would have cost FSU $4.5M to defend or do they just throw that type of money around when there is no basis for claims.

Mean Purple

I just never considered them that type of program. Miami had a great run too for about 15-20 years, I just think of FSU as more like Miami than the real blue bloods. Very good program, of course, but a lot more suceptable to having an extended period of average than the other real blue bloods. I don’t know, maybe I’m nuts.
No more so than Ohio State.

Wexahu

You still watch a black and white tv, don't you...

Not sure what you're getting at. I don't think "blue blood" is defined by how many wins a team has in the past decade, or anything like that at all. Otherwise, TCU would be a blue blood.

FSU has had a really good team for a long time, but they don't have near the history or football tradition that the others have. Prior to the late 80's, they were nothing special at all.

Another way to put it is if there was conference free agency and all of the teams were bid on for conference membership, do you think FSU would be picked over any of the others? I don't.

W

Way of the Frog

Not sure what you're getting at. I don't think "blue blood" is defined by how many wins a team has in the past decade, or anything like that at all. Otherwise, TCU would be a blue blood.

FSU has had a really good team for a long time, but they don't have near the history or football tradition that the others have. Prior to the late 80's, they were nothing special at all.

Here is the catch. You list Texas, but from 1972 until 2005 Texas had some very rough years. Go back and look at the history and since 2008 they have once again struggled.

Same with ND. Long stretches of mediocrity intermingled with some very good years.

Wexahu

Here is the catch. You list Texas, but from 1972 until 2005 Texas had some very rough years. Go back and look at the history and since 2008 they have once again struggled.

I just said results aren't really the be-all, end-all. It's not that. If results were what mattered TCU would be considered just as much a blue blood as Texas. Prior to 1985 Florida State was basically NC State, and Texas was Texas.

Of course FSU has been a really good team for most of the past 30 years, but that doesn't mean they are as much a blue blood as Texas. "Blue blood" doesn't mean great team.

PO Frog

My mistake. FSU settled for the $950K and I believe his was undisclosed.

Not a lawyer, but I am a ass and based upon your example if would have cost FSU $4.5M to defend or do they just throw that type of money around when there is no basis for claims.
You have to take into account exposure of a jury trial as well. Lower burden of proof required so they could lose 51/49 and get dinged for millions. You’re out of your league here. Let’s just get back to talking about how Jimbo sux because he inherited an elite program and only won one national title.