• The KillerFrogs

OT-Best Crappy Boss Story

mc1502

I realize this could go in general, but I need to vent. I'm a Business Development Manager for a custom injection molding manufacturer. I've been there 2 + and worked very hard and done very well. It's a family run company and my buddy from TCU actually brought me in to work for his dad. After having a previous discussion about buying the 40+ shop employees food out of my own pocket, I was told by the president (my boss and the owner) every once in a while I could expense it on the company card. He said they used to do it before and he would buy pizza. This was two/three weeks ago. Fast forward to today. I buy pizza for the employees and so they don't thank me, as it's with company money, I write a note from our president. Roughly, it says, "Thank you for all your hard work. We appreciate all that you do and lunch is on me. Keep it up!" Pizza came. All the employees were so happy and made sure to say thanks! Well....I get called into his office and he asks me to shut the door. I proceed to get my ass chewed for buying pizza and putting his name on the Thank You note and not telling him that I was getting pizza today. I'm talking fists on the desk, teeth grinding mad. I've never lost my temper on a boss, but I've also never been so disrespected by anyone for doing something I was told I could do. I proceeded to tell him how I felt and as I got to the juicy/messy part I asked to excuse myself before I said anything too damaging. I'm not fired...Wish he would...And I can't quit yet...I'm going through a Wedding. He shut my phone and email accounts off, but yet he wants me to come to work on probation. I'm in a [ crappy ] situation and I thought I would vent. Needless to say, I am sending out resumes. The funny part is all his family came to me and apologized. They don't even like him. Anyone had a boss that had small man syndrome and likes to micromanage the crap out of you?

Yes, my last boss was a 5 foot nothing, balding, ahole, with a serious nepolian complex. I got the heck out of there as fast as I could. He once threw a proposal I had worked on for five months into the trash because he didn't like the PowerPoint template I used to create it. I had numerous discussions with him that required me to close the door. This dude was a transfer from Germany that had been given the job as a stretch role. He literally had three months experience in the job when he hired me. I had over twenty years experience, and was hired to esentially serve as a guide for this guy, but he couldn't handle his subordinate giving him any direction. It got to the point that I started telling him straight out that he didn't know what he was doing ,and that he was dong long term damage to this fortune 500 company. No kidding, one of the best days of my life was the day I gave him my resignation letter. It more than likely saved my marriage because I no longer hated getting up in the morning.

My advice is to go back to work, but dedicate yourself to finding a new place to work.

Last edited:

Deep Purple

Working for a large Corporation, when I was young I really loved and admired my leaders. Maybe I was young and didn't know any better. As I got older, the Yeahoos stared coming out of the woodwork. So much so, that I started naming their management styles:

1. "The Floorwalker". Work was about punctuality. Showing up on time and leaving on time. Didn't matter whether you did anything while you were there. I used to antagonize him by continuously asking to telecommute!

2. "Kiss up Kill down" Was a retired Rear Admiral, all of his superiors loved him. All of his subordinates hated him. Called us all "cockroaches" and our work was "cockroachery"

3."Let Em Eat Cake" The first and last time we saw this woman in our office, was her first day on the job. She came and greeted everyone, and we never saw her again. In a peer review she got downgraded for being unapproachable, so she called in all of the Directors and blamed them for not covering for her.

I used these management style descriptions on a case I presented at the Neely School....
I once had a boss who subscribed to the "barefoot and pregnant" management style...

Barefoot = Pay employees on the cheap
Pregnant = Screw them every chance you get.

BABYFACE

Back in my younger 20’s, I worked for a large company. Things were hectic for about a week when it appeared that union workers of our company might strike. My boss assigned specific tasks to me that I was not to stray from. He also said if any other department head needed me, they would have to go thru him first. Well, that happened and I followed my boss’s instructions to the letter.

I found myself the following week. having to answer for insubordination. My boss left me to wither in the wind and denied his instructions to me. His boss didn’t fire me, because it seemed amiss to him.

I then tried for over 9 months to transfer out, but my boss blocked it every time. I then decided to quit.

Funny thing, a dozen years later, I received a vendor call from a gal to book a meeting with me for her boss. She told me his name, and it appeared it was my old notorious boss, but I didn’t say anything. The day of the meeting had arrived, and that bastage walked into my office. Before I had a chance to acknowledge him or say anything, that coward did a 180 and walked out without so much as a word.

Bob

I'm in the military and on my previous deployment to Afghanistan, my boss would not let us fire weapons at bad dudes unless we could visibly see them firing at us. No ambushes, no mortars, no TOW missiles into the homes they run into and hide in, etc. This boss determined that in the big scheme of things, we are expendable in order to keep the media happy. My boss became unemployed on Jan 20th, and whether you are lefty, righty, or center... I can tell you that the US military appreciates the recent changes to our Rules of Engagement.
Bad army bosses don't qualify if they are officers. Its like singling out 1 [ Finebaum ] from the rest cause it stinks.

TCURiggs

Just took a quick glance at the top of the page and thought this thread title was "OT - Best Crappie Bass Spot."

Thought someone started another random "OT" thread that was dedicated to some hybrid fishing. I got interested for a second.