• The KillerFrogs

Mike Leach on the CFP

Wexahu

Somebody may have been saying that. I’ve kinda been darting in and out today doing my own thing. I was suggesting the 5 P5 champs, plus a G5 champ and 2 at-larges picked by committee.

I'd like to see that. No system is perfect, but that might be the best mix of everything. The G5 leagues would love it, I know that, because they'd have a seat at the table every year.

Frog-in-law1995

I'd like to see that. No system is perfect, but that might be the best mix of everything. The G5 leagues would love it, I know that, because they'd have a seat at the table every year.

I think so. Notre Dame wouldn’t like it, I’m guessing. They’d probably want some sort of “top 8 and we’re in” guarantee. But frankly, darn them. Join a conference or shut up and play for an at-large.

Goliath has fallen but David never ends up winning the whole thing, and they really never come close. I don't know what the stats are but in the 30+ year history of the 64-team NCAA hoops tournament I think there may have been one 15-seed even make the Sweet 16. An 11-seed has been the highest seeded team to make the Final 4, and they promptly got blown out in the semifinals.

The point is, weeks are too precious in college football to waste them on non-competitive games, and that's what you'd have almost 100% of the time with a #16 seed G5 team playing an Alabama-type team. Football is just different that way. A team that has no chance of winning the whole thing shouldn't be allowed to play in the tournament, not in college football anyway.

I think the upsets make it more popular not less. Troy beat LSU! Upsets all over the place give them a chance. TCU rose bowl season do you believe we could have beat auburn? I did !

Tumbleweed

Herbstreit is a politician.
Herby is following orders of the suits who made suggestions to the producers who made suggestions to the talking heads, (all of them but in particular) Herbstreit who is the chief talking head..Somebody has to coordinate the direction of the season inorder to make money.

Disney is dangerous especially to ESPN or is that the other way around.. And you're right, we'll see what TCU does from here.

Score: whoever has the most sustained emotion for four quarters. In Manhatten, anything can and will happen.

Limey Frog

Only way this works is if the OOC games count toward conference standings, otherwise those game mean nothing. Then the problem with that is there'd be a huge disincentive to play anyone good in OOC.

I don't know, seems a little too NFL-ish to me.

On the contrary, if losses didn't affect your championship hopes schools would schedule good OOC games because that's what people want to see. They always used to do so.

Wexahu

On the contrary, if losses didn't affect your championship hopes schools would schedule good OOC games because that's what people want to see. They always used to do so.

They used to do so because beating good teams improved your ranking, and when there was no playoff, rankings were all that mattered.

What’s so great about watching a “big” game if there was nothing riding on it? You really think our game with OSU next year would be just as important or as exciting if there were no playoff implications?

They used to do so because beating good teams improved your ranking, and when there was no playoff, rankings were all that mattered.

What’s so great about watching a “big” game if there was nothing riding on it? You really think our game with OSU next year would be just as important or as exciting if there were no playoff implications?

Yes that would always be a great game two great programs! Your point is well made losing and being out of playoff.contention makes it more meaningful. Which is why I laugh when teams we beat say they didn't play their best game.

HG73

P5 champs in automatically, with #4 and #5 (as seeded by the committee) playing a wild card game with the winner in the final four. Committee basically taken out of the process, just seeding the 5 teams is their only job, plus better scheduling since OOC games don't count. OOC games would be better matchups for more $$.

Or blow the whole thing up, create 8 geographic conferences/divisions of 9 teams each. Each conference plays 8 conference games, 4 home and 4 away. The 8 champs playoff with quarterfinals (or conference championship games if divisions), winners advance to semis then championship game. This would bump ND and 7 G5 teams up to the major conferences/divisions to get to 72 teams. Nobody deserving is left out of the playoff.

Wexahu

Committee basically taken out of the process, just seeding the 5 teams is their only job, plus better scheduling since OOC games don't count. OOC games would be better matchups for more $$.

Are you serious? Those two concepts do not go together. Ever been to a preseason NFL game, the ones that don't count? They are boring as hell, almost unwatchable. Nobody cares about them, not even the teams playing, they just want to get them over with.

How anyone could think games where the outcome is basically irrelevant would be compelling is mind boggling to me. It is MUCH more likely that coaches would just rest players in order to keep them healthy for the "real" season than it would be for them to go all out trying to win a meaningless game.

netty2424

Have you ever thought that maybe TCU wasn't quite as good as our rankings suggested? Is it even possible for someone else to believe that and not be considered an anti-TCU a-hole? Heck, I thought we were overrated the whole first half of the 2015 season. We maintained a Top 5 ranking through about the 8th week of the season even though anyone who watches football and has a brain could've seen we weren't one of the best 5 teams. Half our defense was hurt for gods sake and we were down to playing 200 lb safety converts at linebacker. It took a miracle or three for us to only lose two games and sneak into the Top 10.

I watched every play of the game Saturday. I think it's perfectly reasonable if someone determined at this point in time that a #4 ranking might be a bit high at this point. A couple weeks earlier things might've been different. Things change because more games are played and people have more information at their disposal. Big freaking deal if "Herbie" has us a #4 one week and we drop out of the Top 4 the next.

It's so dumb that supposedly the litmus test for how good an analyst is is what they think of TCU and how much they talk up TCU. Somebody that really really knows their stuff might not be as high on TCU as someone else. That wouldn't be unreasonable. Who cares?
Re your paragraph in bold font, what season are you talking about?

I mean, what were they supposed to say? Sometimes the truth hurts. I still say a 1-loss Big 12 champion will get in the playoffs, I'd bet good money on it. It;s just now the chances of having a 1-loss Big 12 champion are lower than what they were a week ago.[/QUOTE]

Sad, but that only might happen if it were Texas or Oklahoma. ESPN rule of thumb.

Have you ever thought that maybe TCU wasn't quite as good as our rankings suggested? Is it even possible for someone else to believe that and not be considered an anti-TCU a-hole? Heck, I thought we were overrated the whole first half of the 2015 season. We maintained a Top 5 ranking through about the 8th week of the season even though anyone who watches football and has a brain could've seen we weren't one of the best 5 teams. Half our defense was hurt for gods sake and we were down to playing 200 lb safety converts at linebacker. It took a miracle or three for us to only lose two games and sneak into the Top 10.

I watched every play of the game Saturday. I think it's perfectly reasonable if someone determined at this point in time that a #4 ranking might be a bit high at this point. A couple weeks earlier things might've been different. Things change because more games are played and people have more information at their disposal. Big freaking deal if "Herbie" has us a #4 one week and we drop out of the Top 4 the next.

It's so dumb that supposedly the litmus test for how good an analyst is is what they think of TCU and how much they talk up TCU. Somebody that really really knows their stuff might not be as high on TCU as someone else. That wouldn't be unreasonable. Who cares?

Scoreboard is what counts. All we we are asking is equal consideration based on on field and not based on the size of alumni eyes for TV. I really believe that smaller P5 schools (except ND) will never be picked under the current system. We don't stand a chance vs a 1 loss Ohio St even if we go undefeated (and that includes beating OU even though OU beat OSU). We need to hope for a 8 team playoff where ESPN won't mind as much that a smaller P5 school is included. They will be too busy pushing for the inclusion of one of their P5 favorites rather then the best of the non P5 schools. I hate ESPN and hope to live to see their influence go to zero on this matter, so the championship can be won on the field and selection to compete not based on perceived popularity.

Wexahu

Re your paragraph in bold font, what season are you talking about?

I know I let it bother me too much, but its a major pet peeve of mine, every single time an analyst comes out with a ranking that isn't to our liking or says something even slightly negative about TCU, 95% of our fan base gets all freaked out and fires a bunch of insults at whoever said it. Those guys have no chance. If ranking the teams was netty2424's responsibility instead of the AP, the coaches, or the CFP committee, 5 minutes after your ranking came out 98% of the people on these message boards would be calling you an idiot and your poll would be called a joke, no matter how you ranked the teams.

I was just responding to a poster who was ridiculing Herbstreit for dropping us out of his Top 4 after the WVU game. I watched every play of the game, it was a good win and all, but I don't think we looked like the 4th best team in the country. I'm not sure we really even looked like a better team than WVU. So I don't think its that big a crime if a national analyst would drop us from #4 after that game. It's early in the season, keep winning and I'm sure we'll jump back up, Again, these analyst guys have absolutely no chance no matter what they say.

Which is why I and the group I sit with were alarmed when people at our game cheered when the video board showed the OU/ISU score. WTH?

Because it's college football, and that's what makes it great. We would cheer just as loud if Wake hade knocked off Clemson.

Wexahu

Scoreboard is what counts. All we we are asking is equal consideration based on on field and not based on the size of alumni eyes for TV. I really believe that smaller P5 schools (except ND) will never be picked under the current system. We don't stand a chance vs a 1 loss Ohio St even if we go undefeated (and that includes beating OU even though OU beat OSU). We need to hope for a 8 team playoff where ESPN won't mind as much that a smaller P5 school is included. They will be too busy pushing for the inclusion of one of their P5 favorites rather then the best of the non P5 schools. I hate ESPN and hope to live to see their influence go to zero on this matter, so the championship can be won on the field and selection to compete not based on perceived popularity.

I hate to bring this back up again, but do you really honestly think that if TCU had lost to Minnesota in 2014 but then went on to finish 12-1 with a 59 point win in the Big 12 championship game you'd have been ok with being left out of the playoffs? Because by saying TCU deserved to be in over OSU, that is what you are saying. And I call total BS on that. If we had OSU's resume and were left out, we might've started a riot. I can tell you right now that there is no freaking way on earth you would've accepted that outcome.

So they really are making decisions based on results on the field, you just refuse to accept it.