• The KillerFrogs

Bizarre NCAA basketball news

BankerFrog

Reddit thread about it. So far 4 asst. coaches have been named.

Has to do with a major international sportswear company as well. Apparently it's Nike and Adidas

dawg

Shocking. And by that I mean NOT shocking.
casablanca-your-winnings.jpg

BABYFACE

So, payola to players and recruits is at the discretion of the NCAA of potential violations, but involve a sportswear/goods company into the mix and it opens the door for the Feds to come in? Interesting.

W

Way of the Frog

So, payola to players and recruits is at the discretion of the NCAA of potential violations, but involve a sportswear/goods company into the mix and it opens the door for the Feds to come in? Interesting.

Curious if it becomes a Federal matter when the businesses are the ones providing the funds to have the kids sign with schools that rep the apparel.

Not a new story in any stretch of the matter, but the difference here between this and a regular NCAA investigation is the Feds have the ability to track the money. if you recall the Michigan basketball scandal with Chris Webber and other players it was first the IRS and then the Feds who were able to show the transfer of money. Something the NCAA just does not have the ability to do and why Bob Knight years ago said the best group to end cheating was the IRS.

Pharm Frog

http://newsok.com/osu-basketball-as...ged-with-fraud-and-corruption/article/5565560

NEW YORK — Oklahoma State assistant Lamont Evans was among four college basketball coaches facing federal charges Tuesday in a wide probe of fraud and corruption in the NCAA, authorities said.

The other coaches identified in court papers were Chuck Person of Auburn University, Emanuel Richardson of the University of Arizona and Tony Bland of the University of Southern California. It was not immediately clear who would represent them at initial court appearances.

They were among 10 people charged in Manhattan federal court. Others included managers, financial advisers and representatives of a major international sportswear company. The details were to be discussed at a news conference on Tuesday afternoon.

Evans was brought to Stillwater from South Carolina as a part of Brad Underwood’s staff in April 2016. According to court documents, Evans took at least $22,000 in bribe money to steer athletes to financial advisers.

W

Way of the Frog

BABYFACE

Busting people that cross the line between the merely unethical/reprehensible and criminal money-laundering or tax evasion is a pretty good start.

You quoted me about my statement about AAU and select sports for youths. There could be zero corruption and club sports will continue. I am all against stopping corruption. My point in my last post was I wish it was they way when I grew up and parent/volunteer coaches coached the kids thru 8th grade and then handed them off to the high schools. However, the reality is that it is easier for college coaches to scout showcase tournaments than trying to go to a bunch of HS games. Trust me when I say that I don't like the way things are.

BABYFACE

You really can't because of the money flowing through it and how it corrupts all the parties involved in something that portrays that it is all about promoting the kids.

Consider the rise of Josh Pastner, his father, and their relationship with shoe companies.

http://www.chron.com/sports/cougars/article/AAU-Success-leads-to-scrutiny-of-Hal-Pastner-1713389.php

I know club sports aren't going away. Hell, myself and another member on this board coach a high school aged select softball team. While I am involved and coach select/travel, that doesn't mean I like the way things have evolved.