• The KillerFrogs

ESPN Hemorrhaging

Pharm Frog

I could not stop laughing after this. Sergio Dipp? Surely ESPN is doing a bit? No? OK, they hired him to make Beth Mowins look competent as a comparison? Or maybe as a compliment to Sexy Rexy Ryan? What a total clownshow of on air "talent" for Monday night football.

Now we know a bit more of "the rest of the story".... Sergio was from ESPN Deportes and has been with ESPN since 2013. Seems like it was an effort in bringing the racial minority and immigration story lines into the football broadcast.

“It’s been a couple of hours now, trying to digest what just happened to a 29-year-old Mexican guy like me, It’s 9/11, I’m in Denver, Colo., and this is the NFL, a ‘Monday Night Football’ game between the Broncos and the Chargers, the biggest stage possible. I was starting my elementary school Sept. 11, 2001, in Caliexico, Calif., born in Mexicali, Baha California, but growing up in the American environment as a minority — a minority like head coaches Vance Joseph [of the Broncos] and Anthony Lynn [of the Chargers].

“So all I wanted to do was show some respect, making my debut as a minority on American national TV, the biggest stage out there on the most heartfelt day in this great country made up by immigrants. And on some people’s perspective, it all went wrong. But I truly meant no disrespect, because all I wanted to do was to show some love to those two historical head coaches.”

FBallFan123

I could not stop laughing after this. Sergio Dipp? Surely ESPN is doing a bit? No? OK, they hired him to make Beth Mowins look competent as a comparison? Or maybe as a compliment to Sexy Rexy Ryan? What a total clownshow of on air "talent" for Monday night football.

Same here. My sides hurts after about 30 minutes of laughing at this.

That "you watch him him now on the screen" part had me on the floor.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Mrs. Brewingfrog had just come in from work and was sipping her first glass of wine when that imbecile Dipp appeared on the screen. While wine did not shoot out her nose, she did ask incredulously "What the hell is that? Are they trying to impress the ladies or something?"

We put the mute on after that. Not long after that, we switched over to 'Antiques Roadshow' which was far more exciting than the game...

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
Same here. My sides hurts after about 30 minutes of laughing at this.

That "you watch him him now on the screen" part had me on the floor.

Dipp is a cross between Johnny Weir and Ricky Martin. He makes Miss South Carolina look like a rocket scientist. At least she's nice to look at.

jake102

Not trying to be political and I'm not a trump supporter but Hill should be fired for that. Such a double standard. I only turn on ESPN for games or 30 for 30. Can't handle any of the other stuff any more.

Yeh I don't care which way the political slant is, I don't want it with my ESPN/sports. Get that garbage out of here. Had to stop reading Deadspin because of it. Get halfway through the article and there's some political hot-take

MAcFroggy

Yeh I don't care which way the political slant is, I don't want it with my ESPN/sports. Get that garbage out of here. Had to stop reading Deadspin because of it. Get halfway through the article and there's some political hot-take

Totally agree. Deadspin used to be great. It is now pretty much unreadable.

I am not a Clay Travis fan, but I agree with one thing I have heard him say multiple times. It is something like... When Joe Six pack pops open a beer and sits on the couch when he gets home from work he wants to watch sports, sports highlights, and sports debate. The last thing most people want is to be lectured by sports casters about what they should believe or listen to issues outside the sports realm.

ESPN seems to believe that Travis is wrong because they have pushed politics and other issues a lot recently. I do not know what the truth is, but I do know that my habits have greatly changed over the past few years. I hardly ever turn on ESPN to watch SportsCenter anymore. For years, I would turn ESPN on in the morning to listen/watch while getting ready in the morning and would flip it on when I got back from work while cooking or doing chores. ESPN is never on my TV in the mornings anymore and I hardly ever have it on as background noise in the afternoon. I am not 100% sure if I just decided I didn't care for ESPN opinions on sports issues anymore, the shows got stale, or I was tired of politics in my sports talk, but I think it is a combination of all three.

FBallFan123

I never go on Deadspin but from time to time I see links posted on Twitter....and you can't even get through many of their headlines without it getting political.

Armadillo

Deadspin used to be a great site. Used to be is the key there.

Wexahu

Totally agree. Deadspin used to be great. It is now pretty much unreadable.

I am not a Clay Travis fan, but I agree with one thing I have heard him say multiple times. It is something like... When Joe Six pack pops open a beer and sits on the couch when he gets home from work he wants to watch sports, sports highlights, and sports debate. The last thing most people want is to be lectured by sports casters about what they should believe or listen to issues outside the sports realm.

ESPN seems to believe that Travis is wrong because they have pushed politics and other issues a lot recently. I do not know what the truth is, but I do know that my habits have greatly changed over the past few years. I hardly ever turn on ESPN to watch SportsCenter anymore. For years, I would turn ESPN on in the morning to listen/watch while getting ready in the morning and would flip it on when I got back from work while cooking or doing chores. ESPN is never on my TV in the mornings anymore and I hardly ever have it on as background noise in the afternoon. I am not 100% sure if I just decided I didn't care for ESPN opinions on sports issues anymore, the shows got stale, or I was tired of politics in my sports talk, but I think it is a combination of all three.

I don't do any of those things either anymore but I think it's just that I'm getting older and am not interested in all the "extras" anymore. Highlights, listening to talking heads debate games, pregame/postgame interviews, etc etc etc, I really don't care to watch stuff like that anymore. I want to see the game, that's about it.

GoFrog Yourself

I don't do any of those things either anymore but I think it's just that I'm getting older and am not interested in all the "extras" anymore. Highlights, listening to talking heads debate games, pregame/postgame interviews, etc etc etc, I really don't care to watch stuff like that anymore. I want to see the game, that's about it.
Used to get up early enough on school days so I could watch espnews highlights before breakfast. Great thirty minute segment and you got all the scores and big games from the previous day. Made me a bigger baseball fan because it was easier to keep up with scores from the out of market teams.

Now I stick to MLB Network, Golf channel, etc to get actual content. Espn is only on my screen for college game day (though that's not close to what it used to be) and live games. If espn didn't have NCAA football, basketball and baseball coverage it would probably never be watched

MAcFroggy

Used to get up early enough on school days so I could watch espnews highlights before breakfast. Great thirty minute segment and you got all the scores and big games from the previous day. Made me a bigger baseball fan because it was easier to keep up with scores from the out of market teams.

Now I stick to MLB Network, Golf channel, etc to get actual content. Espn is only on my screen for college game day (though that's not close to what it used to be) and live games. If espn didn't have NCAA football, basketball and baseball coverage it would probably never be watched

If somebody is not using MLB Network to get their baseball news and analysis, then they are doing it wrong. It is absolutely the only way to go for baseball news.

FBallFan123

MLB Network and MLB streaming has replaced a lot of my ESPN watching.

Sometimes I still try to watch Sunday Night Baseball but Aaron Boone and Jessica Mendoza are so bad that I rarely end up watching much more than bits and pieces of a Sunday night game except when it's a really good match-up.