• The KillerFrogs

SMU point spread

Tom Brown

SMU makes me nervous. They have a high flying offense and their defense has been good enough to get them to a 2-0 start. I suspect that their defense may even be better than Arky's. The Arky defense wasn't really all that good, and our passing offense was subpar. I think the TCU defense needs to step up for the 3rd game in a row this weekend. I think we really need to bank on the defense all season long. I truly hope we don't need to depend on them to win all games all season long. I'm not saying they are bad at all (they have been nothing short of stellar so far), but they are bound to have at least ONE off game this season. Hopefully that happens against a team that our offense goes off on.

I guess what I'm saying is, our offense needs to find their feet now and keep it up the rest of the season. Defense is more than sufficient if we can punch it into the endzone on a more regular basis.

Their defense is not better than Arky.

SuperTFrog

Their defense is not better than Arky.
I agree. I know starsies aren't everything, but Arky averaged a recruiting class for the previous 4 years of 23 (per 247). SMU is 77. Pardon the pun, but hard to believe that SMU would have the horses to have a better defense than Arky.

WhatTheFrog

I agree. I know starsies aren't everything, but Arky averaged a recruiting class for the previous 4 years of 23 (per 247). SMU is 77. Pardon the pun, but hard to believe that SMU would have the horses to have a better defense than Arky.
Starsies aren't everything, but starsies are everything?

Do you think the coaching at SMU could somehow be superior to the coaching at Arky? TONS of teams have had better recruiting classes than TCU, yet TCU has schooled those fools.

Deep Purple

SMU has shown good offense against teams with the defensive caliber of Stephen F. Austin and North Texas. They haven't yet been tested by a defense of TCU's caliber. Those who think SMU's offense will be as effective against us as against SFA and University of North Texas must think TCU is in the same class as SFA and University of North Texas.

Do you really, honestly, believe that??

FrogsMcGee

We won 33-3 last year in Dallas. Pretty similar roster at least at the skill positions. Their QB is 29/58 passing = 50% against subpar competition. Most of their blowout over SFA was in the running game. They ain't gonna do that against us. Stop Sutton and it should look pretty much like last year. 42-10.

SuperTFrog

Starsies aren't everything, but starsies are everything?

Do you think the coaching at SMU could somehow be superior to the coaching at Arky? TONS of teams have had better recruiting classes than TCU, yet TCU has schooled those fools.
My point is that athletes can make up for coaching deficiencies. If you put Nick Saban at SMU and Chad Morris at Alabama, I have no doubt that Char Morris would school Nick Saban. As they say on college sports radio on CBS, you might know X's and O's, but you have to have the Jimmy's and the Joe's.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
SMU defense won't have many answers for us but their offense looks much improved. This game always worries me a little just because of recent history.

berryfrog95

After watching our offense against Arky, the smart money would take the points. The days of the sling it around Frogs are over.

Just when you think......watch us throw 50 times and run 35.

The SMU D will enable us to be enticed to throw. We also need a more balanced offensive output with Ok St looming. My guess is we try more with the passing game

Moose Stuff

We won 33-3 last year in Dallas. Pretty similar roster at least at the skill positions. Their QB is 29/58 passing = 50% against subpar competition. Most of their blowout over SFA was in the running game. They ain't gonna do that against us. Stop Sutton and it should look pretty much like last year. 42-10.

Sutton is good. He's the only one I worry about.

f_399

The days of the sling it around Frogs are over.

I think it will eventually get there.

Not the quick offense we were used to in 2014-2015 but I think as the WR's get more reps, we will at least have the option to sling it around.

That run game will open up the field.

I think Patterson knew the toll his defense took when the offense could not stay on the field. Maybe a reason Meacham had to go.

Moose Stuff

At least for now. They don't trust Hill to sling it around 40-50 times per game. What does that work out to? 3 or 4 picks per game?

We have no idea what the coaches actually think. What we do know is that knew they could beat Arkansas running the ball so that's what they did. What you call lack of confidence could also be called being flexible and making adjustments.

Last edited:

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
After watching our offense against Arky, the smart money would take the points. The days of the sling it around Frogs are over.

Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. The game plan against Arky was brilliant. It was perfect for that opponent. But nothing in the offseason led anyone to believe that we've gone back to a Fuente offense. In 2012 and 2013 GP saw that we needed to have a more dynamic offense to succeed in the B12. So he brought one in. Cumbie is still a Pirate disciple. Obviously he's a more flexible playcaller than Meach was, and played to the strengths against an Arkie team that does not have the ability to score early and often.

But that same offensive philosophy will not work against OSU and OU. We will have to "sling it around" to win those games. I'm sure that we will RTDB more than we did under Meach, but Cumbie has not transformed overnight into a Bielema disciple.