• The KillerFrogs

2017 Baseball Season Thread

Pharm Frog

Worth watching - there is a distinct possibility that the NCAA will force any region that hosts BYU to start on Thursday to avoid the potential of Sunday games. If this happens, the schools in that regional should revolt (as should the teams in the paired regional). Either play by the rules and schedules of the sponsoring organization or do not and find some other organization to play in. DBU and Campbell have both changed their policies to allow for Sunday-play.

1. Regionals | June 2-5, 2017
Regionals for the NCAA Division I Baseball Championship will be held June 2-5, 2017 on 16 campus sites. At each campus site, a four-team, double-elimination tournament will be conducted and the 16 winning teams advance to the Super Regionals.

1. Super Regionals | June 9-12, 2017
Super Regionals for the NCAA Division I Baseball Championship will be held June 9-11 or June 10-12 on eight campus sites. At each site, two teams play in a best-of-three tournament format. The winners from each site advance to the NCAA Men’s College World Series.

From D1 Baseball

WEST COAST
– BYU
Holy freakin’ Toledo. I know Mormons are clean-living people, but the Cougars bats might need to be drug-tested. They went out and took a pair of games vs. Gonzaga to win the WCC auto-bid in a bludgeoning fashion, 10-3 and 16-3. If you’re not good at math that means they beat the Zags by a combined 26-6 in two successive games on Saturday. BYU lost its first game in the WCC tourney back on Thursday to LMU, but since then the Cougs scored 49 runs in five games to take the crown.

Pharm Frog

There's a possibility that the #7 RPI conference gets 5 teams into the post-season. If so, that would be a crying shame especially considering that last year's #3 RPI conference only got three teams in.

Pharm Frog

Northwestern beats Maryland in the B1G semis. This means either Northwestern or Iowa will get the auto bid and we'll test the NCAA selection committee to see if they want to put 5 teams from the B1G into the post-season from the conference with the 7th best RPI.

In other news, Illinois State is leading Missouri State 5-0 in T3 (ISU is the home team). MO State has committed three errors already and could very well come back to win this game as they better than ISU but have had to work their way back to through the loser's bracket. Winner to face DBU in the championship game following. If Missouri State doesn't win both games today, another Big 5 bubble team will be left out because Missouri State is getting in.

And, as if Ag didn't have enough to sweat today, Okie State could steal a spot as could Rice.

Pharm Frog

Talking about sending BYU to Lubbock and making the Raiders start play on Thursday since they were eliminated early in the Big12 tournament. That's just wrong IMO and another reason why elite teams should shut it down in conference tournaments. Hope there's a thousand lightning delays in Lubbock if this happens (possible this time of year and the early weather forecasts don't look exactly clear for late next week)

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Talking about sending BYU to Lubbock and making the Raiders start play on Thursday since they were eliminated early in the Big12 tournament. That's just wrong IMO and another reason why elite teams should shut it down in conference tournaments. Hope there's a thousand lightning delays in Lubbock if this happens (possible this time of year and the early weather forecasts don't look exactly clear for late next week)
Tcu needs to announce we only play football games in prime time in perfect weather and definitely never before 2PM. For religious reasons of course.

Pharm Frog

Not that it makes one bit of difference, but I applaud BYU for their religious convictions.

I do too. That's why I think it will be great for them to forfeit. Too easy to maintain convictions when you are consistently accommodated by exception.

Just wondering how the teams that they eliminated along the way feel about being eliminated by a team that had prior knowledge that they could not complete the tournament.

Pharm Frog

Okie Lite has taken the lead against Whorns. Apparently Shugart can't be expected to pitch this much in an 18 hour span. And Missouri State falls in semis of the MVC. Either DBU or Illinois State will claim the autobid. Ag probably restless.