• The KillerFrogs

TCU Golf

JogginFrog

Can't invest the time and knowledge to do it justice like Jared's Tennis thread, but thought it'd be worth starting a thread for golf on the day that the Horned Frog ladies earned their latest NCAA tournament bid. They're the 10-seed in the Lubbock regional. Six teams will advance. http://golfweek.com/2017/04/27/ncaa-womens-golf-division-i-regional-fields/

Also, Frog alum Angela Stanford in the news as the LPGA visits the Metroplex. LPGA article on her bid to make her seventh Solheim Cup team. She's currently ninth in the standings; top eight get automatic bids. Mentions that she's a Frog: http://www.lpga.com/news/2017-volunteers-of-america-texas-shootout-wednesday-notes-and-interviews

Also, Angela's annual Let Your Light Shine charity tournament is Monday at Mira Vista: http://www.angelastanfordfoundation.org/home/let-your-light-shine-charity-golf-tournament

Other news/notes/perspectives (men's or women's), feel free to post. Or the golf adventures of Frog alums.

PO Frog

Thank god he skipped nationals and bailed on his teammates so he could rocket up to that 807 ranking with the jumpstart he got in playing in the Colonial that year.

JogginFrog

Henry and Hoge T19 after round 3 in New Orleans.

Stanford T6 at Las Colinas. She played with Cristie Kerr today -- usually not a good thing for Angela. Kerr got into Stanford's head a few years back, coming from 8 back on the final day to win the Canadian Women's Open. Happened again in the 2011 Sybase Match Play semis; Stanford was 2 up with 4 to play; Kerr won 1 up. Today, Kerr shot 70 to Stanford's 73.

Paul Barjon was in 9th through two rounds at the Web.com event in Mexico but shot a third-round 76 and dropped to T48.

Thank god he skipped nationals and bailed on his teammates so he could rocket up to that 807 ranking with the jumpstart he got in playing in the Colonial that year.
I'm not sure he bailed on his teammates. Correct me if I'm wrong, but TCU did not get past regionals that year. Brun qualified as an individual, so he'd have been the only Horned Frog at the NCAA tournament.

PO Frog

I'm not sure he bailed on his teammates. Correct me if I'm wrong, but TCU did not get past regionals that year. Brun qualified as an individual, so he'd have been the only Horned Frog at the NCAA tournament.
You're correct. I tend to think his teammates would have liked to have been able to say they played on the team with an NCAA champion but maybe not. To be more accurate, he bailed on the school that offered him a scholarship and the opportunity to play. So basically anyone with loyalty to TCU.

You're correct. I tend to think his teammates would have liked to have been able to say they played on the team with an NCAA champion but maybe not. To be more accurate, he bailed on the school that offered him a scholarship and the opportunity to play. So basically anyone with loyalty to TCU.
I'm pretty sure Montigel and Del Conte supported his decision to play at Colonial, so his loyalty to TCU should not be questioned. As for his teammates, I'm pretty sure they'd rather say they won the NCAA themselves.

This notion that he'd have won the NCAA as an individual is pretty ridiculous, anyway. Do you have any idea how hard it is to win that tournament? Look at the top 100 players in the world and tell me how many of them won the NCAA.

PO Frog

I'm pretty sure Montigel and Del Conte supported his decision to play at Colonial, so his loyalty to TCU should not be questioned. As for his teammates, I'm pretty sure they'd rather say they won the NCAA themselves.

This notion that he'd have won the NCAA as an individual is pretty ridiculous, anyway. Do you have any idea how hard it is to win that tournament? Look at the top 100 players in the world and tell me how many of them won the NCAA.
He got second two years before so Calling it ridiculous is ridiculous. If baseball players sat out the post-season so they could prepare for the draft, I would qu

i have a pretty good idea. He previously had been runner up. I like that it's ridiculous that he could win that but not ridiculous that playing as a sponsor's exemption would somehow help his career. Cant be both imo.

JogginFrog

Brun played the 2014 Colonial as an amateur; shot 77-76 to miss the cut by a mile.

He was on track to graduate the following December, turn pro and skip his senior season. When he didn't earn Web.com tour status, he opted to return to TCU for his senior season.

Here's how Golfweek reported Brun's decision to skip the NCAA finals at the time.
http://golfweek.com/2014/05/20/julien-brun-tcu-pga-tour-crowne-plaza-invitational/

And his return: http://golfweek.com/2015/06/01/ncaa-golf-college-men-tcu-julien-brun-match-play/

The latter article with some very complimentary words from Montigel.

JogginFrog

Brun's senior season didn't match his first three, but he's by far the most decorated golfer in TCU history. Take a look at the last three pages of the TCU men's golf record book: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...016-17/misc_non_event/2016-17_Record_Book.pdf

3 lowest season scoring averages
3 of the 4 highest season-finish percentages in TCU history (% of field beaten, which is probably the best measure of performance across years/eras -- J.J. Henry the only other Frog to post 90% or higher for a season)
9 individual tournament wins (next-most: 2)

Only TCU player with a sub-par career scoring average, while playing the most career tournament rounds of any Frog.

He got second two years before so Calling it ridiculous is ridiculous. If baseball players sat out the post-season so they could prepare for the draft, I would qu

i have a pretty good idea. He previously had been runner up. I like that it's ridiculous that he could win that but not ridiculous that playing as a sponsor's exemption would somehow help his career. Cant be both imo.

The experience at Colonial was going to be valuable no matter how he played. The only thing better about playing in the NCAAs would have been winning it. And as I said previously, it's one of the hardest tournaments to win regardless of how good you are. He made the right choice, IMO. Had he played the college event and not won, he would have learned very little that he already didn't know.

flyfishingfrog

I think after Julien won the European challenge tour tournament while in school as a sophomore, the thought at the time was he would benefit a lot from the experience at Colonial since he had that level of game

Unfortunately it seemed to have hurt his confidence some and he has struggled with getting status at any meaningful level on a tour - which I admit was pretty unexpected given his success in competitive golf as an amateur

JogginFrog

Let's take a moment to honor the longest string of post-season appearances for TCU in any sport, which is likely to come to an end this week. NCAA men's golf bids go out on Thursday; selection show is at 11 Central on Golf Channel.

TCU men's golf has made 27 straight NCAA appearances, all under coach Bill Montigel. Last year the Frogs slid into the tournament on the bubble (ranked 52nd) after finishing 8th at the Big 12 championships. They went on to finish second in the regional and advanced to nationals.

This year the Frogs stood 59th in the GolfStat rankings going into the Big 12 tournament. The cutoff based for bids appears to be 55th; TCU's 8th-place finish at the Big 12 championships makes advancement unlikely.

So, thanks for a great run, TCU men's golf! Fans can pull for the TCU women, whose regional begins next Monday in Lubbock.

JogginFrog

Congrats to the TCU men!

TCU women are in action in the Lubbock regional this week. Scoring is here. Top six advance.

Yesterday, the Frogs shot 308 (+20), which had them 15th in the 18-team field. They've moved up to 13th today but a lot of work to do today/tomorrow to advance.

Edit: Frogs finish Day 2 in 13th at 611. They shot a 303, which was a five-shot improvement from Monday, but that still leaves them 19 shots outside of the Top 6. Other Big 12 teams are Tech (582, 2nd place), Texas (589, 5th), Oklahoma (600, 11th) and Iowa State (603, 12th).

Last edited:

JogginFrog

Frog alum Angela Stanford in the news as the LPGA visits the Metroplex. LPGA article on her bid to make her seventh Solheim Cup team. She's currently ninth in the standings; top eight get automatic bids.

After her crash-and-burn at Las Colinas, Angela knocked off top seed Inbee Park in round 2 of the Lorena Ochoa match play tournament in Mexico. That ensured a top-10 finish and enough points to jump Brittany Lincicome into 8th in the U.S. Solheim Cup standings. The downside was that she lost in the next round to France's Karine Icher, who is certain to be on the European Solheim squad.