Purp

TCUdirtbag said:
#1 TCU
#2 LSU (1x)
#8 Ole Miss (1x)
#11 OK State (3x)
#17 Texas (3x)
#21 Rice (1x)
Others receiving consideration: Texas A&M (1x)

Overall, these rankings blow. Tech not getting consideration, much less over a ranked Texas team? Huh? Arizona down at 25? Some weird stuff in here.
I agree.  I think Tech will be better than UT this year, but I do expect the wHorns to be improved.  I don't think I'd have them ranked, though.  I'm hopeful the B12 will be a strong baseball conference this year rather than a drag on our RPI like it has been in recent years.  If Texas can prove it's worthy of this ranking and Tech gets into the top 25 we'll have almost half of our conference slate contributing positively to our RPI.  I think WVU has the potential to be a top 25 team this year too so we could see over 50% of our baseball conference in postseason play and making nice contributions to our RPI.

I expect Baylor to be improved too, but OU, K State, and Kansas will likely be a drag.  

I realize rankings are separate from RPI, but a top 25 ranking indicates a strong record and likelihood of a respectable RPI.

Moose Stuff

Gary's Shirtless Revenge said:

Seriously, Texas is going to be garbage this year. Why don't people understand their issue was TALENT, with an Augie thrown in?
Texas has a legit Friday night guy in Morgan Cooper (strong potential to be a top couple of rounds draft this summer) and two more good college arms in Kyle Johnston and Connor Mayes (both should be top 10 round drafts with normal springs). The depth behind them is a tad thin but has some talented young arms in Roliard, Kingham, and Henley. Chase Shugart proved to be a pretty reliable late inning reliever last year as well. As for the lineup..... It's a veteran group and Bret Boswell, Michael Cantu, Patrick Mathis, and Zane Gurwitz are all likely draft picks. Tyler Rand showed flashes of being a solid player last spring (can really run) and freshman Austin Todd is gonna be a really good player. Absolutely not "garbage" and likely the most talented team in the conference outside of TCU.

jake102

Moose Stuff said:
Texas has a legit Friday night guy in Morgan Cooper (strong potential to be a top couple of rounds draft this summer) and two more good college arms in Kyle Johnston and Connor Mayes (both should be top 10 round drafts with normal springs). The depth behind them is a tad thin but has some talented young arms in Roliard, Kingham, and Henley. Chase Shugart proved to be a pretty reliable late inning reliever last year as well. As for the lineup..... It's a veteran group and Bret Boswell, Michael Cantu, Patrick Mathis, and Zane Gurwitz are all likely draft picks. Tyler Rand showed flashes of being a solid player last spring (can really run) and freshman Austin Todd is gonna be a really good player. Absolutely not "garbage" and likely the most talented team in the conference outside of TCU.

In regards to UT football and baseball I think people are waiting until they prove it to be worried about them. 

Moose Stuff

Jake102 said:

In regards to UT football and baseball I think people are waiting until they prove it to be worried about them. 
I'm not telling anyone to worry about them. I'm just stating my opinion that they are far from garbage. I think their 2017 baseball team is pretty comparable to their 2017 football team in that a new staff (Pierce is a damn good coach despite not being one of their top targets) is inheriting a talented roster that is primed for a breakout season. its very fair to be skeptical until they prove otherwise but I think they'll surprise some people next spring if their arms stay healthy.

Purp

Jake102 said:

Moose Stuff said:
I'm not telling anyone to worry about them. I'm just stating my opinion that they are far from garbage.

They're going to improve soon.  It would be a mistake to wait until they prove it before you start to worry about them.  At that point you've lost.

I'm not implying Schloss would, but Texas has enough pieces to win baseball games against anybody in the conference.  All it takes is a good pitcher to have a great night and the best team in the nation can lose to the worst.  Texas has enough pieces to do this to anybody.  No need to piss off the baseball gods with hubris.

TCUdirtbag

Gary said:
D1 Baseball has done that ranking before.

I'd probably go

1) Vandy
2) LSU
3) Florida
4) TCU
5) Virginia?
It would be nothing like that at all if we take a longer view than the last 4-5 years. In terms of a couple generations, total resources, fan support, recruiting power, overall records, prestige, etc., I can't find a way to argue anyone other than LSU should be #1 and any way Texas could be excluded from the top 3. It would have to be something like:

1. LSU
2. Texas
3. Florida

I'd call these theee the "permanent tier." They can have a down few years and still out-draw, out-recruit or out-resource everyone to such a degree they remain incredibly relevant.

Then there's the rest of the "first tier." TCU, Virginia and Vandy are relatively new entrants to this upper tier, but at this point they deserve to be lumped in with South Carolina, Florida State, Miami, Rice, Oregon State and Louisville. In the second tier I'd put Texas A&M, UCLA, Mississippi State, and Ole Miss (maybe CS Fullerton, Arkansas, and Arizona State, Arizona, OK State and USC based on history, too)

I'll happily bet anybody on here who will take it that Texas Baseball will not make the postseason in 2017. 

I'll go $20 and give 1 person 2/1 odds, I'll give Moose first dibs as the initial contrarian.

Purp

I'll happily bet anybody on here who will take it that Texas Baseball will not make the postseason in 2017. 

I'll go $20 and give 1 person 2/1 odds, I'll give Moose first dibs as the initial contrarian.
The snarky part of me wants to take the bet b/c they'll almost assuredly make the conference tournament, which is after the regular season.  Since I know you meant something else I'll answer sincerely.

I can see this happening.  I can also see them being a 2 seed in someone's regional.  As much depends on a bunch of other teams and auto qualifiers as it does UT's performance this year.  I think they have a chance to get in and a chance to miss the tourney.  Not enough confidence either way to bet, but I think a 60% - 70% chance to perform well enough to make the tourney if the right number of things fall into place in peripheral conferences.

Moose Stuff

I'll pass.

GoFrog Yourself

If I've learned anything from watching Big 12 baseball (and football) it's that one team will be a surprise and finish much higher than expected (see Tech 2016). Texas has a young coach that should light a fire under their asses better than Augie did late in his career, plus the talent and resources to compete. Am I scared of them? Nope, but unless they just crater they should be playing regional baseball come June. I'll be disappointed surprised if TCU, OSU, Tech, Texas, and WVU don't all make the field of 64.

As for the rest of the conference, Baylor and OU need to get their [ Finebaum ] together. No excuse for both of those programs being as bad as they have been lately (although at least OU has seen Omaha this decade). KSU had a pulse back in 2013 but not sure what happened after. Same with Kansas in 2014 (made the tournament) so there's plenty of potential for the conference

Moose Stuff

GoFrog Yourself said:
If I've learned anything from watching Big 12 baseball (and football) it's that one team will be a surprise and finish much higher than expected (see Tech 2016). Texas has a young coach that should light a fire under their asses better than Augie did late in his career, plus the talent and resources to compete. Am I scared of them? Nope, but unless they just crater they should be playing regional baseball come June. I'll be disappointed surprised if TCU, OSU, Tech, Texas, and WVU don't all make the field of 64.

As for the rest of the conference, Baylor and OU need to get their [Craig James] together. No excuse for both of those programs being as bad as they have been lately (although at least OU has seen Omaha this decade). KSU had a pulse back in 2013 but not sure what happened after. Same with Kansas in 2014 (made the tournament) so there's plenty of potential for the conference
David Pierce is in his early/mid 50's, so not really young unless you're just comparing him to Augie.

tcumaniac

Like you don't even think they'll play in a regional? 

I'll take that bet. 

TCURiggs

Moose Stuff said:
First it was the parking passes and now you're gambling. I hope you guys have a comfortable couch to sleep on.
I'm proud of him. He's sowing his husband-oats (jokes here) a bit. Good luck, maniac. You can't win what you don't put in the middle (more jokes here)!

Frog-in-law1995

TCURiggs said:
I'm proud of him. He's sowing his husband-oats (jokes here) a bit. Good luck, maniac. You can't win what you don't put in the middle (more jokes here)!
Would just like to point out that he's betting $20 to win $40.

Best guess on final Big 12 standings this year:

1. Okie State
2. TCU
3. Tech
4. WVU
5. Oklahoma
6. Texas
7. Baylor
8. K-State
9. Kansas

I could easily see 1-5 getting in the tournament... 1-3 on this list felt pretty interchangeable, can't predict ball. Except for the fact that Texas sucks, I can predict that.