• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

Ron Swanson

netty2424 said:
Good looking pup Ron. Growing fast. Seems like just yesterday it was a little ball of fur in the pics you posted when you brought them home.
Thanks man. And yeah, they're growing fast. That's Willie, who is actually much smaller than his brother Cooper.

When we got them at 9 weeks they were both 4 lbs, now they're 5 months and Willie is 19 lbs and Cooper is 23 lbs.

Cooper is tall and majestic looking, and Willie is squatty and a little goofy looking, but he's my favorite... he's got spunk.

Edit: here's a pic of Cooper next to Willie so you can see the difference...

0BADAA51-672E-4267-B963-4F70A63DD6F9_zpsmqamdb8t.jpg

TCUBetterThanYou

Ron Swanson said:
"Special season" is September 3-4 and September 10-11. So technically I couldn't hunt tonight, but I can tomorrow morning. Seemed silly to be down here and not go out for a bit though.

I got one dove.... I was in the Polaris and saw it drinking from a puddle in the road about 80 yards ahead, so I floored it. Got him on the 2nd shot while I was going about 30 mph as he was flying away.

Classic dove hunt
I can't wait for our hunt in a few weeks. I'm not a huge hunter, so I show up with a giant pump action Nova, usually in a tiny rented car, and absolutely burn through shells all day to hit my limit. I guarantee you I have the best time of any of the "serious hunters" though.

ATC Frog

TCUBetterThanYou said:
I can't wait for our hunt in a few weeks. I'm not a huge hunter, so I show up with a giant pump action Nova, usually in a tiny rented car, and absolutely burn through shells all day to hit my limit. I guarantee you I have the best time of any of the "serious hunters" though.
I'm going dove hunting at a buddy's parents backyard tomorrow and Monday evening. Pretty convenient that they live outside of city limits.

I also own a Benelli Nova pump action and it served me well last year during duck season (although the Ducks were few and far between in OK last year)

Punter1 said:
Anybody who hasn't seen The Departed 10x can't be my friend.

Also...hunted dove hard last two days at my spot in Kyle where I've killed 1,000+ dove...and have 3 kills total. Horrific start this year...way too much water around. Birds just aren't flying. Glad the season is 90 days long this year.
Couldn't agree more on The Departed comment, that resonates with me to the core.

In regards to the dove hunting...had the exact same experience Friday / Today AM. Went to my cousins' ranch in Waller (just on the cusp of the Central Zone). Last few seasons we have cleaned house on Opening Weekend - this go around, ZERO. I fired my gun once, out of frustration, I obliterated a dragon fly. 

Warden saying there was too much rain, temperatures too high as well. I'm really hoping that we get a nice cool front between now and South Zone Opening....otherwise, going to be another repeat of last year. 

nwlafrog

fuelfrog said:
Couldn't agree more on The Departed comment, that resonates with me to the core.

In regards to the dove hunting...had the exact same experience Friday / Today AM. Went to my cousins' ranch in Waller (just on the cusp of the Central Zone). Last few seasons we have cleaned house on Opening Weekend - this go around, ZERO. I fired my gun once, out of frustration, I obliterated a dragon fly. 

Warden saying there was too much rain, temperatures too high as well. I'm really hoping that we get a nice cool front between now and South Zone Opening....otherwise, going to be another repeat of last year. 
Well the upside to that is that Teal season is just around the corner and all the warm weather + water guarantees some birds!

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Wes, et al, would it be possible to have a rule for this board that you must have 50 or 100 posts (or whatever) before you can start a thread?  Might cut down on the troll presence on the home page.  They can still pop up inside a thread, but just can't start one.
Just a suggestion.