• The KillerFrogs

Devonte Fields suspension

HFrog1999

Those on academic scholarship don't represent the university in front of millions of people on TV. Like it or not, the football team are the most prominent representatives of TCU. Also, I'd imagine there are very few full ride academic scholarships. Probably fewer than are given to the football team.
Well TCU is a school, not a football team. So maybe they should drug test all scholarship recipients.

Athletes may "represent the university", however they work harder for their scholarship than a regular student. Plus they actually bring more money to the school. So frankly the academic scholarship student should be held to a higher standard.

macaroni

Well TCU is a school, not a football team. So maybe they should drug test all scholarship recipients.

Athletes may "represent the university", however they work harder for their scholarship than a regular student. Plus they actually bring more money to the school. So frankly the academic scholarship student should be held to a higher standard.

I think the reason athletes are tested is because it's an expectation of the NCAA, and the NCAA is interested in all kinds of substances like PEDs. Schools not monitoring such things could be slapped with the "lack of institutional control" label. Without any NCAA expectation, I doubt TCU would choose to do routine checks on any set of students.

HFrog1999

Alumni bring plenty of money to the school. Far more than athletics in fact.
You do know that Hunter Enis and [Richard] Lowe both played football for TCU right? You may have seen their founder's suite on the tour. :rolleyes:

It's no coincidence that since TCU started being good in football that our university all of a sudden is full of new fancy buildings and tons of applications. When I went to TCU the football team was bad, the buildings were old, and it wasn't that hard to get in.

jake102

It's no coincidence that since TCU started being good in football that our university all of a sudden is full of new fancy buildings and tons of applications. When I went to TCU the football team was bad, the buildings were old, and it wasn't that hard to get in.

Yep. Football has done a lot for TCU, probably more than any other single item.

Boschini has done a great job managing the school and progress and making athletics a priority. Oh, he also hired possibly the best AD in the country in Del Conte.

You do know that Hunter Enis and [Richard] Lowe both played football for TCU right? You may have seen their founder's suite on the tour. :rolleyes:

I would agree. But you seemed to be referring to revenue. But yeah I have donated a lot I money I otherwise would have kept if not for athletics. But then you get these limp [Richard] liberal arts folks who cry about all the money being spent on sports and athletes because they can't understand what pays the bills.

HFrog1999

I would agree. But you seemed to be referring to revenue. But yeah I have donated a lot I money I otherwise would have kept if not for athletics. But then you get these limp [Richard] liberal arts folks who cry about all the money being spent on sports and athletes because they can't understand what pays the bills.
Like Patterson said, Football is the front porch of the University. TCU forgot that a few decades ago and the school suffered.

Now, as for recreational drug testing. Since drugs seem to be a growing problem on campus, I don't think they'd be out of line to test academic scholarship recipients as well. Most of the dealers arrested last year weren't athletes. I doubt that Pickens was on scholarship but he definately was a newsworth death that a lot of people heard about.

Just something to think about.

As for Fields. Yeah, I'm pissed he screwed up and we won't see him play against LSU. However, I bet the punishment fits the crime so I don't think there's a need to pile on. Hopefully he learned his lesson and will move forward.

frognutz

all true. The girls were still hot though.

SoonerBredCD

I'd be curious to know what is considered a donation of a lot of money by an entry-level employee at an accounting firm :biggrin:

Almost to 20 pages, as predicted.

HFrog1999

all true. The girls were still hot though.
True. I think they've gotten hotter though. Of course, I've gotten older.

tumblr_m0angjNwjE1r3eoawo1_500.gif

frognutz

if there were a fund dedicated specifically to "priority points calculation system upgrades" I would donate big$$ to that.