• The KillerFrogs

Zebra Frog please help: Terrible Spot on Carter catch at end of 1st Half

Shadow Dweller

B4P, I am normally loath to agree with Roddog on ANYTHING...but he's right, your being a putz here. Carder moved behind the line for a first on his own power, it's not a first down. I do think the spot was a bit short (personal opinion) but I still don't think he managed to get it past the first down marker, just about half/quarter yards farther is all.

Even after he is hit, the he is still reaching the ball past the 1st down marker:

vlcsnap2012091607h45m17.png

Just read through this. Didn't see the play, but the way it has been described, the call was correct. Danger Frog has it nailed. First downs are not made by "breaking the plane" like touchdowns are. If he goes back on his own, he loses whatever yardage he had gained.

If a running back broke through the line and went untouched for 15 yards beyong the first down, but then turned around and ran back the other way, and then got tackled, he certainly wouldn't have been deemed to make a first down! But, if he is beyond the line to gain, gets hit and "driven" back, then he gets his progress.