• The KillerFrogs

Zebra Frog please help: Terrible Spot on Carter catch at end of 1st Half

Here is the proof that it was a terrible call:

vlcsnap2012091518h43m10.png

I will have a video as well. Big 12 did not review even though Patterson called timeout. FX TV did not replay the video either. Conspiracy?

roddog

Banned
agreed, that cost the frogs at least 21 points and they should have really covered, you should let your bookie know maybe he will credit you

DangerFrog

Here is the proof that it was a terrible call:

vlcsnap2012091518h43m10.png

I will have a video as well. Big 12 did not review even though Patterson called timeout. FX TV did not replay the video either. Conspiracy?

His momentum carries him backwards after he catches the ball. He's behind the line when he gets him by the KU defender, and that's what matters. If he gets pushed back and starts fighting upfield again, he loses the forward progress. That's what happened on the Boyce catch against Baylor that you like to keep referencing.

DangerFrog

That does not matter. Forward progress is forward progress.

The Boyce catch is still far worse because they took away 5 yards.

If you voluntarily go backwards, or try to go forwards again, it doesn't count. Boyce tried to fight forward after getting pushed back, therefore he lost all forward progress to that point. Bad call, because I don't think he got enough forward momentum to constitute that, but I see the call the ref made. The Carter one was obvious. If you have a video of the catch, though, it may be better as to figure out if he got it or not.

DangerFrog

No because you blow the whistle when they push him back. The refs blew it stop apologizing.

I agree that the refs took a while to blow the whistle, but since they hadn't, the play wasn't over, and therefore anything that happens is still part of the play.

A first down is a first down. Same with a TD. If you catch the ball across the plane it counts. Nothing else matters.
This is just not true. How many times have you seen a WR catch the ball past the first down line, then run backwards trying to gain more yards only to lose the first down? Once you score a TD, the play is over, but it is not that way for a first down, you can get it, then lose it.

DangerFrog

This is from the NCAA rulebook -

A6 has the ball in his possession and is not controlled by an opponent, as
he dives over the 50-yard line, which is the line to gain for a first down,
and is forced back across the 50-yard line. A6 continues to run and is
tackled at Team A’s 49-yard line, where any part of his body except his
hand or foot strikes the ground. RULING: No first down. The point of
forward progress is Team A’s 49-yard line.

I agree that the refs took a while to blow the whistle, but since they hadn't, the play wasn't over, and therefore anything that happens is still part of the play.

OK exactly. So you admit the refs blew it. Regardless of what happened they ruined the play.

This is just not true. How many times have you seen a WR catch the ball past the first down line, then run backwards trying to gain more yards only to lose the first down? Once you score a TD, the play is over, but it is not that way for a first down, you can get it, then lose it.

His forward progress had the first down. He never voluntarily went back and then tried to go back upfield. He caught the ball for a first down and got hit backwards. He never planted and tried to go back upfield after getting the first down.

jake102

His forward progress had the first down. He never voluntarily went back and then tried to go back upfield. He caught the ball for a first down and got hit backwards. He never planted and tried to go back upfield after getting the first down.

This is how I saw it as well. It's hard to tell in real time, but they should have taken a look at it. I thought it looked like besides trying to stop, he was not fighting for progress.