• The KillerFrogs

Yahoo Sports: Q&A with Jerry Hughes

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=pfw-...lb_jerry_hughes

[SIZE=14pt]Q&A with TCU DE-OLB Jerry Hughes[/SIZE]

Arthur Arkush, ProFootballWeekly.com

Jerry Hughes built quite a résumé during his time at Texas Christian University. Hughes had 28½ career sacks and 40½ tackles for loss in his four seasons, helping the Horned Frogs finish as the nation’s No. 1 defense each of the past two seasons. Hughes won both the Ted Hendricks Award (Defensive End of the Year) and Lott Trophy (defensive player of the year/personal character) as a senior, while helping TCU to the school’s first BCS bowl game. Off the field, Hughes is only six hours away from earning his degree in communication.

A defensive end in college, many believe that Hughes will be drafted to play outside linebacker in the NFL. His outstanding speed off the edge, relentlessness in getting to the quarterback and impressive work ethic will make him a great fit for plenty of NFL teams. PFW draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki has Hughes ranked third among outside linebackers, and projects him to be a first-round pick.

PFW recently caught up with Hughes to discuss many subjects, including his preparation for the draft, learning a new position and his preference for social networking.

PFW: How did the NFL Scouting Combine and your pro day go for you? Were the experiences what you expected them to be?

JH: No. As far as the Combine is concerned, it was a bit more than I expected it to be. I figured it would just be show up, go out there and hit the field and perform type of thing. It turned out to be a lot more activities that they had planned for us as far as medical examinations, scan your whole body, just see how you look and things like that, which was kind of shocking to me. I got used to it.

PFW: I know you decided to stick with your numbers from the Combine rather than re-test at your pro day. I assume you were happy with how you tested in Indy?

JH: I did decide to stand by my numbers from the Combine when it came time for my pro day. Especially with my 40-time, I think I could have ran again, but talking to some different guys they seemed happy with my numbers, so I decided to concentrate on positional drills and show the coaches that whatever drills they want me to do, I can go out there and perform.

PFW: You and fellow TCU LB Daryl Washington were clocked at nearly identical 40-times — you must have raced head-to head at some point, who is faster?

JH: (Laughing) I mean, I don’t know. I think we need to get back out there on the field and race again. Daryl ran, like, a 4.57 or 4.53 or something like that, and I was at like a 4.59, so it would be an interesting race. I would love to get him on the field again just to see how we match up. Washington is probably faster, but I’m an athlete, I don’t mind testing my limits.

PFW: There has been talk of moving you to outside linebacker in the NFL, do you have experience dropping back in coverage in college, and what do you think would be the hardest part about making the transition?

JH: I dropped back in coverage some in college; it’s just about knowing the different schemes and what not. I think I would have to make some minor adjustments just because I have never played the outside linebacker position, but I am comfortable with my effort and work ethic that I can make the transition.

PFW: You played running back in high school. Will that help your confidence knowing that you have successfully learned a new position before?

JH: The thing is, I have always played football. I grew up in the streets, guarding guys, doing what kids do when they grow up playing football. So, I don’t think that it will be that huge of an adjustment for me. I think I’ll be able to handle it.

PFW: When did you find out that TCU wanted to move you to defense, and what was your initial reaction?

JH: Yeah I found out when I came up during the strength-and-conditioning program. It was something that was new to me, and I wasn’t really happy at first, but talking to my dad, he told me that Rivals.com had me labeled as an athlete, so I just wanted to prove that I could be more than that and I embraced the challenge. I was in a great position at TCU. They have a great coaching staff. Coach (Dick) Bumpas especially, did a great job tutoring and teaching me the position.

PFW: You added 55 pounds to move over to defense. Tell me how you did it.

JH: Oh, it happened pretty fast. Just being a kid on a scholarship, I had the luxury of cafeteria food that I took full advantage of; breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, late-night snack, you know what I mean? On the weekends, I treated myself to Whataburger and things like that. Basically, I was going to put on that weight one way or another.

PFW: What is your favorite meal of the day and what does it consist of?

JH: Oh, man, I already got it down to a science. 20-piece chicken McNugget meal from McDonalds, large fries, large Coke, with a grilled McChicken Southern-style sandwich (no mayo), medium fries and water, to try and stay healthy (laughing).

PFW: Have you received advice from any NFL players?

JH: No, I haven’t really received any. I know they’re all busy with free agency and offseason activities, but I’ll be hearing from them soon enough.

PFW: What was it like finding out that you had been invited to a BCS bowl last season?

JH: It was very exciting, to actually hear that TCU was going to be there, playing on FOX, it was extremely exciting. It was a dream come true, because I have always envisioned playing on that big stage in such a big game.

PFW: TCU has become a powerhouse program during your time there — what changes and improvements have you seen as a result?

JH: More fan support. I feel like the people following the program has really picked up during my time here, which has been amazing for a college player to see all the people there cheering for the team really getting us motivated.

PFW: What swayed your decision to attend TCU? I read that a few Big 12 schools were pursuing you. I attended the University of Missouri, and I know we would have loved to have you come to Columbia …

JH: Oh, man. TCU was a winning program at the time. Um, I feel like they had a lot more upside than some of the Big 12 schools that were coming after me. TCU had just capped off a Mountain West championship, and they actually defeated Iowa State in the Houston Bowl, which was the other school recruiting me at the time. So it was just kind of something that I wanted to be a part of.

PFW: I have read that you try and model your game after Dwight Freeney(notes). As the possibility of switching to outside linebacker has become more realistic, are there any NFL players at that position you have been watching tape on?

JH: Absolutely. I like DeMarcus Ware(notes), Joey Porter(notes), James Harrison(notes), and LaMarr Woodley(notes). Basically, there are so many guys at that position that do so many things well, there isn’t just one. So many NFL teams have switched over to the 3-4 scheme.

PFW: You also played baseball in high school. What position?

JH: Outfield, third base and pitcher.

PFW: Nice. And I’m guessing you could handle the bat a little?

JH: Yeah, I would say I did my fair share of damage with the bat.

PFW: Is baseball your favorite sport other than football?

JH: Definitely. I love playing and I love watching. Baseball was actually the first sport I played, so that would be the one right there.

PFW: Any favorite team or player?

JH: Well, for favorite team, I have to go with my hometown Astros. As far as favorite players, I would have to say Ryan Howard and Albert Pujols. I love those guys’ great strength and the way they knock the crap out of the ball.

PFW: Favorite movie of all time?

JH: “Training Day” and “Law Abiding Citizen.”

PFW: Facebook or Twitter?

JH: Probably Facebook. I don’t know too much about Twitter.

PFW: Favorite artist?

JH: Lil Wayne and Trey.

PFW: I see you only have six hours left before you complete you communication degree. What would you be doing with that degree if you were not headed to the NFL?

JH: Taking my degree and trying to open up in the field a little bit more; maybe working behind the scenes in communication or advertising or something like that.

PFW: Last question, explain how enormous high school football is in the state of Texas.

JH: I’m trying to picture something that I can compare it to. It’s really on its own plateau, man, especially in small towns, but even in big cities. Spending my time in Dallas, I came across a school; they somehow managed to pack Cowboys Stadium. Try and imagine such a huge stadium packed with high school football fans.