• The KillerFrogs

Why did TCU stick the visitor's section in the worst part of the stadium?

Deep Purple

ArgyleFrog2010 said:
another thread turned into an arguement between Deep and another poster... yawn

you know what's funny?  the grandfather of the term "horseshoe", Ohio State's "Ohio Stadium", even has seating all the way around... even WAY back in the day!!!  see those tiny little people in the bleachers in the endzone! that is seating all the way around!!!

quit acting like a know it all, man... when he said horseshoe, everyone ON THIS BOARD knew exactly what he was talking about

Bad day?  I ask a simple question and you go postal on me.

Regardless of seating, a horseshoe stadium configuration typically has an open end -- hence horseshoe.  ACS doesn't have an open end.

Chill Arglye.  Just asking a question, not trying to start a fight.  You were obviously spoiling for one.

Deep Purple

XIIFrog said:
We're no Ohio State, so maybe "horseshoe" wasn't the best word, just didn't know how else to describe it. All I'm saying is that I would prefer this setup, as I think a double decked enzone full of purple on the north side would create more noise in the stadium, while separating the visitors as much as possible would reduce their ability to make noise:

I thought our north endzone was double-decked.  Am I mistaken?

amon004.jpg

XIIFrog

Deep Purple said:

I thought our north endzone was double-decked.  Am I mistaken?

amon004.jpg

You clearly aren't getting what I'm saying. Yes, it is double decked, which is why I think the visitors sections should be on the South corners, so that we can fill that North double-decked endzone with purple, therefore making that entire side of the stadium louder for us.

_34c3f87af33b3c80f24722d5ee82235d6955a574976.png

Deep Purple

XIIFrog said:
You clearly aren't getting what I'm saying. Yes, it is double decked, which is why I think the visitors sections should be on the South corners, so that we can fill that North double-decked endzone with purple, therefore making that entire side of the stadium louder for us.

Aaahh, it all becomes clear.  My apologies.  Thrown off by the horseshoe comment.  You make a pretty good point, the visiting fans perhaps would be more harmless at the south end of the field.

Maybe the Athletic powers-that-be felt it would place them too close to the south endzone box-owners.  Or maybe they wanted them in the stadium corners, and the south end has no corners -- only the north end has corners.

XIIFrog

Deep Purple said:

Aaahh, it all becomes clear.  My apologies.  Thrown off by the horseshoe comment.  You make a pretty good point, the visiting fans perhaps would be more harmless at the south end of the field.

Maybe the Athletic powers-that-be felt it would place them too close to the south endzone box-owners.  Or maybe they wanted them in the stadium corners, and the south end has no corners -- only the north end has corners.

No worries. Yeah, another thing that would go against my set up is the question of where to put the visiting band. Plus, it wouldn't be great for our team to come out of the tunnel and have visiting fans on both sides. A lot of holes in my argument, and it's way too late for a redesign, but I just thought it sucked that GP had to chose the south endzone in OT against tech because they were making too much noise on the north side.

Deep Purple said:

Bad day?  I ask a simple question and you go postal on me.

Regardless of seating, a horseshoe stadium configuration typically has an open end -- hence horseshoe.  ACS doesn't have an open end.

Chill Arglye.  Just asking a question, not trying to start a fight.  You were obviously spoiling for one.
Should have done it in a calmer way - just wanted to prove you wrong at ONE thing :)) my apologies

Deep Purple

XIIFrog said:
No worries. Yeah, another thing that would go against my set up is the question of where to put the visiting band. Plus, it wouldn't be great for our team to come out of the tunnel and have visiting fans on both sides. A lot of holes in my argument, and it's way too late for a redesign, but I just thought it sucked that GP had to chose the south endzone in OT against tech because they were making too much noise on the north side.

It does kind of suck.  If Native Frog had designed the stadium, we wouldn't have this problem.  Everything would be perfect.

Deep Purple

ArgyleFrog2010 said:
Should have done it in a calmer way - just wanted to prove you wrong at ONE thing :)) my apologies

No sweat.  Honest to God, I don't know what it is about my posting manner that sets people off, but it's obviously something.  Trying to figure it out and correct it, but so far it's escaped me I guess.

SnoSki

XIIFrog said:

We're no Ohio State, so maybe "horseshoe" wasn't the best word, just didn't know how else to describe it. All I'm saying is that I would prefer this setup, as I think a double decked enzone full of purple on the north side would create more noise in the stadium, while separating the visitors as much as possible would reduce their ability to make noise:

_34c3f87af33b3c80f24722d5ee82235d6955a574976.png
One in NW corner and the other in SE corner

PurpleBlood87

hookemhorns said:
This is why UT fans are gonna have to buy your premium seats. I'm torn between sitting with my fanbase and not having seats in some little slice 4 miles up in the worst part of the stadium.

In DKR the visitors section isn't bad at all. I've sat there before and it wasn't a walk to get to and you could see everything pretty well.

Overall I expect your paid seats to be half burnt orange because of this mistake. Do you think TCU will change it in the future or continue to put visitors in such a bad location?  

At DKR, TCU fans were in two areas. Some sat by the band while most sat in the upper level in the corner of the end zone. Let me tell you that was a long walk up there.

The seats at OU aren't great in the crappy end zone section. About half the seats at Kansas' crappy stadium weren't even facing the field.

Deep Purple

PurpleBlood87 said:
The seats at OU aren't great in the crappy end zone section.

They're horrible.  OU placed too much stadium on too small a footprint, so the stands are set only 10 yards from the sidelines.  And there was definitely no room to curve the stands for better viewing angles.  Bottom line, from any side seats more than a few rows up outside the 20's, you can't see the entire field.

2314@work

Contributor
hookemhorns said:
This is why UT fans are gonna have to buy your premium seats. I'm torn between sitting with my fanbase and not having seats in some little slice 4 miles up in the worst part of the stadium.

In DKR the visitors section isn't bad at all. I've sat there before and it wasn't a walk to get to and you could see everything pretty well.

Overall I expect your paid seats to be half burnt orange because of this mistake. Do you think TCU will change it in the future or continue to put visitors in such a bad location?  
Just like in your stadium dumb arse. 20-13 and this year it will be WAY worse.

Froglaw

hookemhorns said:
It's near A&M level for visitors. You're supposed to respect the visitor's fans enough to not put them in the WORST part of the stadium. You give them okay seats. But that's it. 
Evidently, you have not traveled very much with the Horns.

I've been to the following stadiums as a visitor.

Here are the rankings.

OU - terrible
ut - terrible
Nebraska - terrible
Tech - terrible
Kansas - terrbile
Baylor - terrible
West Virginia - terrible
OSU - terrible
Hawaii - not too terrible - fans sucked
Navy - fair
Army - fair

Horn guy.  You are our guest. 

Enjoy the fact that the Frogs let you have tickets far better than most of the stadiums in the Big 12 and on par with the better venues in our country.

atofrog

Contributor
mrhornedfrog said:
ut returned almost half of its allotment of tickets, really surprised at that. I wonder what the other schools returned??

jscheff83 said:
That is really surprising. Perhaps most of their fans are confident they can get better seats in the secondary market. In the Big 12, Texas is normally one of the most reliable teams at taking full visiting allotment.

Flying Doughboy said:
Wow, where did you hear that?
mrhornedfrog---Not sure where you heard this info, but this is certainly news to me.  Texas fans travel well to most games. Coming to TCU for the first time in 20 years is certainly a great opportunity for their fans to enjoy Fort Worth and our beautiful campus.  Similar to TCU in Austin last year, tickets are at a premium for both schools and their fans. Nobody is returning tickets.

Maybe it was an assumption they returned tickets because TCU sold a 3 game package that included the Texas game.  Those tickets were in an area not available as a season ticket.  TCU holds a very limited number of tickets for each game so fans can still try to get a ticket even if they do not have season tickets.  Same thing last year when we were sold out of season tickets but still had some seats available for single game sales to Tech and OU for example.

I am not trying to be critical, I just want the record to be straight.

Thanks for your support.

Go Frogs!