• The KillerFrogs

When They Add the Suites and Club Seats to the East Side

SnoSki

I seem to recall something about the east side expansion utilizing a cantilevered second deck to provide the suites and club section. Won't that provide somewhat of a shaded area, depending on how far out it extends . . . or is that no longer being considered?

5924224454_d75ceffb0b_z.jpg

For a system like this to provide shade after 12 noon the cantilevered section would need to be positioned where jerry Jones located his Jumbotron. At 2:30-5:30 the sun is above the west side (but so high that even another level on the west side wouldn't add much shade to the east).

Moose Stuff

I sometimes wonder how the east-side sun impacts our opponents. Pretty good home field advantage for the 2:30p games.

I totally agree. It wasn't hard at all to see the advantage to it yesterday in the 4th quarter watching SMU looking totally gassed as they stood in the blazing sun while our players were totally blanketed in shade.

FROG PARENTS 1961

For a system like this to provide shade after 12 noon the cantilevered section would need to be positioned where jerry Jones located his Jumbotron. At 2:30-5:30 the sun is above the west side (but so high that even another level on the west side wouldn't add much shade to the east).
I think you have uncovered an idea that may be genius.

rifram09

I've often wondered if they could custom build some of those massive umbrella structures to rise out of the top of the west side. It won't help at 1100, but it could provide shade to the east side much earlier than they get it now.

I'm thinking something similar to the umbrellas in Sundance Square. Start at the :55 mark:

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
Sat on east side, it was brutal, left wife and baby home, quite frankly with small kids I just have to eat the ticket costs for day games. It makes me question the need for season tickets, especially considering I must travel from Austin for every game, misting system, covering, something must be done.

TCUdirtbag

Hate the idea of club seats. No one sits in them. If you want a "club environment" go to a golf course. Old school stadiums like Michigan, USC, UGA, UCLA, and many others hide their club in the TOP 20 rows of the home sideline.

They still have the club and boxes for people who want that experience, but it doesn't ruin the atmosphere for the other fans or players.

The old stadiums are great, but that's not what they build any more.

The clubs and suites bankroll the entire university. They don't just produce cash for athletic scholarships based off the purchase price - those clubs are the administration and development officials' dream. They gather many of the major donors and their friends in a single place several times a year. Put some booze in em and ask them for money for the business school, the medical school, a new endowed professorship, a new facility for an Olympic sport, a new research center or academic program, etc. One of the reasons they built some of the nicest club facilities in college sports was to make those places a "place to be" for the movers and shakers in the community - then engage those folks with the university. Plus the multi-year deals make them a great revenue stream in years when the team underperforms.

Last edited:

TCUdirtbag

As posted on page 1, they're in the initial stages of fundraising/sales. Next regular board meeting is in December. If the pledges come in, there could be full board approval or some action/announcement then.

froginaustin

I've often wondered if they could custom build some of those massive umbrella structures to rise out of the top of the west side. It won't help at 1100, but it could provide shade to the east side much earlier than they get it now.

I'm thinking something similar to the umbrellas in Sundance Square. Start at the :55 mark:

The toilet-seat arrangement at Baylor's stadium doesn't shade seats?

Not that I'm saying TCU should build something like that, but if there's nothing structural and within reason then maybe we're back to doing whatever's reasonable to eliminate daytime games in hot weather.

BBG817

TV money has to far outweigh lost revenue on East side from people not coming or leaving early due to heat.

Hadn't thought about this before, would the conference rather have fans in stadium or watching on TV? Both is the best answer, but assume you had 45,000 people. The TV money provides the bulk of our revenue each year and probably more driven by ratings.

LeagueCityFrog

Yesterday was hot. Arkansas game was hot as hell too.
Moose, you are out of your mind. I was sitting behind the team last weekend at Razorback Stadium and it was the EXACT same hot temperature as yesterday. The only time there was a breeze in that stadium was when the Hog West side fans tried harder in calling out the Hogs cheer. Both games we were fully suncreened up. Go Frogs beat them Pokes!

rifram09

The toilet-seat arrangement at Baylor's stadium doesn't shade seats?

Not that I'm saying TCU should build something like that, but if there's nothing structural and within reason then maybe we're back to doing whatever's reasonable to eliminate daytime games in hot weather.

Well, ya, Baylor's stadium does and that was a good design from a heat standpoint. Does look like a toilet though.

I just don't think there is anything we can do about when our games start. Our TV partners tell us and we make it happen. Not sure where there is room for negotiation, short of telling the media we don't care whether we are on TV or not.

LeagueCityFrog

What about a Texas size series of retractable sunsetters like I see during the commercial time on Fox News? Could protect East side Frogs during brutal sun in September games, rain on Black Friday games vs Baylor in November. Maybe a couple purple and white striped retractable awnings.

m.sunsetter.com

University of Washington sure found a way to solve a similar problem when they redid their East side recently.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husky_Stadium

Wexahu

What about a Texas size series of retractable sunsetters like I see during the commercial time on Fox News? Could protect East side Frogs during brutal sun in September games, rain on Black Friday games vs Baylor in November. Maybe a couple purple and white striped retractable awnings.

m.sunsetter.com

University of Washington sure found a way to solve a similar problem when they redid their East side recently.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husky_Stadium

That's for rain. Unfortunately the sun doesn't just shine straight down. There's no way around it, that east side will be drenched in sunshine unless something totally radical and impractical is designed. No different than 95% of college stadiums in Texas.