• The KillerFrogs

What's the future of the Iron Skillet?

Wexahu

There's nothing wrong with playing SMU. It's somewhat of a no-win situation for us, but that's the case with any non-P5 team we would play. We just have to keep beating them.

ThisIsOurTime

This idea comes up every year and seems to get stronger with each passing year as well. I like the idea of rotating between various regional opponents in the area. If we have to find another rival school, why not consider U of Houston who will be more consistently good and provide a good trip to the city of Houston for our fans and provide a marketing tool for recruits in the area as well. Or even better, look to setup a rivalry with an OOC Power 5 school like Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Mississippi, Missouri or A&M although A&M would never do it because they are scared.

Really, the biggest practical benefit to TCU in playing SMU right now is recruits from the area potentially having the ability to go to the game more often if they so choose. Once TCU moved to the Big12, all the other benefits to the football program of playing SMU went away.

froginaustin

It is what it is. We play one good (or okay) OOC game, our "rivalry" against SMew, and one game complete body bag game against an FCS school.

If you believe the OOC should be improved, dropping the FCS game makes the most sense. Changing SMew with a rotation of other G5 teams doesn't improve the schedule, and only served to end a century-long, regional rivalry. I guess I'd be okay with dropping SMew if we replaced them with another P5 game. But I'd still rather keep SMew, and schedule two P5 games.

About 1968 or so, UTx and Arkie, undefeated at the very end of the season, played "the game of the century" with the victor being awarded a mythical national championship by none other than the president of the United States.

Penn State was also undefeated, but was left out of the "national championship" hoopla. Ostensibly because their competition was inferior. Penn State did 2 things.

1. They unleashed JoPa on the public through the media, with an extraordinarily annoying campaign of whining and complaining.

2. They revamped their scheduling to drop the Bucknells, Colgates, and Lehighs, schools they had played from the very beginning of football (long before 2011), and scheduled more competitive opposition.

TCU - SMU ain't like Pedo State and their 1960's roster of D2 opponents, but the Penn State situation illustrates that rivalries can grow stale. Not every one is like Fla-Fla State, or whatever.

netty2424

CDC also wants it. This game is much better for the program financially than any other option. As long as that remains true we'll be playing SMU each year.
I don't know the financials behind this game, but don't we still bus the team to a hotel Friday night just as any other away game for focus? Is it flight money that's the difference?