• The KillerFrogs

What's the future of the Iron Skillet?

Chongo94

What's Techish is automatically writing off a high-performing team purely on the basis of fan support and attendance.

Writing off a poor-performing team because it has no compensating benefits like fan support or attendance isn't Techish at all. It's simply honest analysis.

tenor.gif

Froglaw

But they do sell BEER!
They could sell scotch, burbon, vodka, etc along with its a steak and lobster meal for $5.99 and SMU still could not fill its own stadium with its fans.

Only way SMU will ever come back is to spend the money to hire and keep a good coach plus get its base to come to the games. In other words, never happening.

I hate SMU and I love pounding them into AGS turf.

I just wish our team felt the same way instead of falling for trick plays in the first half every freaking year.

SMU sux and I'll never get tired of reminding their cheating azzez of why TCU is a better university on an annual basis.

Good job Frogs!

One Frog Nation

There is no longer any reason to play SMU. Mac is right the players don't care about SMU. I would keep the d2 school game first as a warm up / tune up. Play a non power 5 school. Those 2 should always be at home. you know like the SEC does. then one p5 game home and home. SMU is a poor football school and will continue to be so. No one in Dallas cares about SMU footbal any longer. Time to give up the ghost.
But it is as close to a guaranteed win as there is.

I'm fairly certain all this is immaterial. I'm undecided on the SMU series - I see compelling arguments on both sides - but as I understand it GP wants the game and his may be the only vote that counts

tetonfrog

I love kicking the crap out of the Ponies every year. Take away the FCS game every year and keep one of our oldest rivalry games on the schedule. It is an easy fix.

And I can't believe you guys want to play AFA again. Why risk the health of our one young, stud DTs against a team known for dirty cut blocking in its OL. Have you not forgotten when the Cadets took out of our best DT during the Rose Bowl season?

I'll say it. I'm no fan of his, but I agree with just about everything he said in that column.

SMU is not committed to excelling at the top of college football. SMU brings no fans to the games or compelling reasons to play them. SMU is a real drag on our SOS, given that we also play one FCS team each year, and SMU is often no better than the FCS opponent. SMU players get all geeked for this game every year as their "Super Bowl," while TCU players approach this game as, "Meh. It's only SMU."

I get that this gamer is a 98-year tradition, but tradition doesn't make a genuine rivalry. For a real rivalry, both teams have to be at least semi-regularly competitive with each other -- and SMU winning this game only once per decade on average (two times in 20 years) doesn't qualify as competitive.

By the time the current series contract is completed. TCU will have been playing SMU for a century. or more. That is probably enough. We passed them by about 20 years ago, and now we're just being charitable. I love charity, but at some point charity must end and a person must learn to stand on his own two feet. We've propped up SMU's football relevance long enough.

So you think Jackson St would beat SMU? If you do then you aren't very good at football watching. Until we get a better solution to them I say play and beat the hell out of them.

Pharm Frog

I love the idea of a future home and home with Air Force, would be a fun road trip...

Not a big fan of defensive linemen I suppose and figuring that triple-option will help us prepare for conference play? But I'm always up for a trip to the Springs. I bet there's a certain head coach that isn't.

TCUdirtbag

I love the idea of a future home and home with Air Force, would be a fun road trip...

Sorry, but playing academies is never a good idea. They almost always beat you up with the triple option, and sometimes they just beat you. In the MWC days, CGP had to set aside time in spring ball and fall camp to prep for it. Playing academies is cool for fans but not great for the team and the goal of winning a championship.