• The KillerFrogs

What's the future of the Iron Skillet?

There is no agreement beyond 2019. I'm good with ending it there. They haven't brought any fans in decades. Their bench and band made up more than 50% of the people pulling for the Ponies. I like having a 7th DFW game every other year but our fans have become increasingly apothecary towards going to Dallas. We used to make up 50% of GJF but our showings the last two times have been a bit weak.

I'd like to see a regional round robin, of sorts. Home and homes with UTSA, Houston, Tulane, Memphis, and even Colorado State and Tulsa. Maybe mix in a service academy.

I'm OK with adding SMU into the rotation but there's little value in playing them every year and I'm sure they would like to replace it with a more winnable game.

Dunno. I tend to be a traditionalist. But I feel a real negativity over here in Dallas. If it can't be fun, let's drop it. Part of it is sour grapes in their part because they r no longer in big time football. But that's their fault. Don't think I want them in our conference. They live in a culture that thinks money can buy everything.

Last edited:

HeidelFrog

Yea. I dont get excited about going to SMU stadium for a game. Beautiful campus but the stadium is a headache. Concessions are horrible.

Surfrog

I would prefer to play them twice every four years or even once in three. As for their fans not showing up today, there were maybe 4000 people total in the stadium after halftime.

Tom Brown

I would prefer to play them twice every four years or even once in three. As for their fans not showing up today, there were maybe 4000 people total in the stadium after halftime.

4000 at halftime. Many came back in the sun at second half kick.

Ponies were exceptionally slow to return. Their D never returned.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
This.

Their fan support is terrible. Morris is gone after this year and they'll be back to being a drag on our SOS while playing us like there's no tomorrow, a potential for injuries on both sides. The Skillet was started in the 40's, I say 70 years was a good run.

However, a counterpoint... Who then becomes our main rival? Baylor? LOL. Texas? They still can't let A&M go and won't ever consider us on their level due to their sheer arrogance. Tech? Bleh. Oklahoma? They have State. So who are we left with? Back in the MWC days Utah was a good fit for us, but now in the B12 who picks up that torch? Perhaps West Virginia?

Brog

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Well, I don't care much for Muck either, but how can you possibly agree with this sterling sentence in the article you have linked us to? Here it is, several paragraphs down:
The current TCU players don’t care about beating SMU. Anybody here agree with that?

I never said I agree with Muck...

eww-gif-15.gif

Surfrog

I would say WVA. The game has always close (except last year). We both came into the conference at the same time and Morgantown has a great gameday atmosphere.

Surfrog

4000 at halftime. Many came back in the sun at second half kick.

Ponies were exceptionally slow to return. Their D never returned.

TCU runs in the summer at 5:00 PM and they practice outside in the afternoon, SMU did their summer running in the morning and they practice in the morning. They were not heat conditioned and it showed.

Last edited:

frog-hat

[QUOTE="The Artist Formerly Known as PhormerPhrog, post: 2454758, member: 3535"

I'd like to see a regional round robin, of sorts. Home and homes with UTSA, Houston, Tulane, Memphis, and even Colorado State and Tulsa. Maybe mix in a service academy.

[/QUOTE]

At this point we should offer 2 for 1 to SMU, UTSA, and Texas State and schedule whoever will take it. That's a better deal for TCU and one or more of those will take it.