• The KillerFrogs

What's Sonny Dykes Up To?

mcdaddy

Anyone have any insight as to how is impacting the team? Is he on the sideline or in the booth? Unless I've missed it, I haven't really heard his name mentioned by the staff or in any of our threads.

f_399

Will he be up for any head coach or coordinator positions?

He seems to a be a guy that works better as a coordinator then a head coach.

f_399

At the conclusion of the 2015 regular season, Dykes was reported to have interviewed for college football coaching positions at Missouri, Virginia, and South Carolina.[42][43] None of these schools made Dykes an offer to hire him as head coach.[44] Dykes was nevertheless able to negotiate an extension with the University of California.[45]

Less than a year after receiving this extension, Dykes interviewed for the head coaching vacancy at Baylor University, but Baylor athletic director Mack Rhoades instead decided to hire Matt Rhule.[46][47]

On January 8, 2017, California fired Dykes. Under contract through the 2019 season, Dykes was owed $5.88 million, 70 percent of his remaining base salary and talent fee.[48] Besides his losing record, California Athletic Director Mike Williams has stated that Dykes had never "settled into California, the Bay Area or the Cal experience" as reasons for the firing.[49]

That may turn out for the better.

BleedNPurple

Isn't there a limited # of coaches allowed and we're at the limit so Dykes is a consultant and not allowed to participate in game day coaching activities. Read that in another thread so it has to be true!

Double V

I'm guessing finishing his morning coffee, 3 sausage and cheese kolaches, and a blueberry glazed donut whilst sitting on top of a pile of money approximately 2.5 million bills thick...(damn taxes)

At least that's what I'd be doing.

mesohornedfrog

My understanding was he was able to participate in coaches meetings, game plans and film study but not allowed to interact with the kids as a 'coach'. He's basically an analyst that can report what he sees to the coaches and help scheme but not actually instruct the players. I think that's how Saban is able to have 45 different ex NFL coaches on his staff, labeling them as analysts that don't really coach, but help immensely with game plans and film study.

dawg

Isn't there a limited # of coaches allowed and we're at the limit so Dykes is a consultant and not allowed to participate in game day coaching activities.

NCAA allows nine assistant coaches during a game. There is, however, apparently no limit on "consultants" and "quality control" coaches. An article on Bama's "consultants" last year put the number 15 but also stated "other coaches have told CBS Sports they suspect that number to be much higher."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...an-added-sarkisian-to-alabamas-massive-staff/