• The KillerFrogs

Week 8 – Bye Week Games Open Thread (w/ schedule)

TCUdirtbag

Link to Full Schedule | Top 25 & TCU Opponents:
Schedule is an image and can be saved to your phone/computer

OGKaK3Y.png

*National ABC broadcast
**ABC / ESPN2 reverse mirror (check local listings)

Idle Top 25 Teams: #4 TCU#11 ND, #12 Iowa, #13 Florida, #15 Michigan
Online Only/Not Listed: #19 Toledo
Idle Big 12 Teams: TCU, West Virginia

TCUdirtbag

It's not a particularly thrilling weekend in college football. But, there are some very watchable games in every time slot.  Before Saturday gets here, a couple Top 25 teams go on the road Thursday night and Fuente takes his #18 Tigers on the road Friday night. 

In the early slot Saturday, K-State at Texas is a big game for both teams. Texas has to win this one for bowl eligibility, and Snyder needs a W to avoid a complete collapse. Clemson @ Miami should be relatively entertaining during first-half UT-KSU commercial breaks. 

Saturday afternoon's Tech-OU game should be interesting for TCU fans. Indiana could threaten Michigan State (but shouldn't). Tennessee is probably walking into a buzzsaw at Alabama, but maybe SMU can get a road W (but let's be honest, they probably won't).

Several decent games Saturday night--mostly Aggie @ Ole Miss and Utah @ USC. 

EdKamen

Thanks DB.

I feel a couple of upsets coming on.

TTech-OU may be a shocker. And KSU will rebound against UT, I think.

I also think Georgia Tech stuns FSU.

USC is favored over Utah and I think the Trojans will win a close one.

FBallFan123

UCLA has back to back Thursday night games?  Odd.

Not a lot of ranked teams playing each other, or even that many great match-ups.

Right now, two of more interesting match-ups are in the Big12: Kansas State @ Texas and Tech @ Oklahoma.

Sometimes these are the weeks when you see surprises, we'll see what comes of Clemson-Miami, Utah-USC and Florida State-Georgia Tech.

TCUdirtbag

FBallFan123 said:
UCLA has back to back Thursday night games?  Odd.

Not a lot of ranked teams playing each other, or even that many great match-ups.

Right now, two of more interesting match-ups are in the Big12: Kansas State @ Texas and Tech @ Oklahoma.

Sometimes these are the weeks when you see surprises, we'll see what comes of Clemson-Miami, Utah-USC and Florida State-Georgia Tech.
There are also no top 10 teams scheduled to play top 25 teams next week either.

But then [ Finebaum ] gets real in November.

FBallFan123

TCUdirtbag said:
There are also no top 10 teams scheduled to play top 25 teams next week either.

But then [Craig James] gets real in November.

Yeah, that first week of November is looking pretty epic:

Baylor @ Kansas State (Thursday)
Notre Dame @ Pitt
LSU @ Alabama
Florida State @ Clemson
TCU @ Oklahoma State

TCUdirtbag

FBallFan123 said:

Notre Dame @ Pitt
LSU @ Alabama
Florida State @ Clemson
TCU @ Oklahoma State

Yep, those are big week 10 games. 

Week 11:  Pitt @ Duke, Memphis @ Houston, Oklahoma @ Baylor, Utah @ Arizona, Oregon @ Stanford
Week 12:  Memphis @ Temple, TCU @ OU, Baylor @ OSU, Michigan St @ Ohio St, Cal @ Stanford, UCLA @ Utah, LSU @ Ole Miss
Week 13:  Baylor @ TCU, OU @ OSU, tOSU @ Michigan, ND @ Stanford, FSU @ UF and A&M @ LSU

In every week of November, we have at least 1 likely top 25 (or better) matchup in the Big 12.  We could end up with more media attention that the other P5 conferences because the 4 top teams are active against each other all month. The SEC fiddle farts around with FCS schools in November and a lot of their traditional rivalries include unranked teams that aren't really expected to challenge on rivalry/thanksgiving weekend.  

I think the biggest stories of November will be, in this order (1) the weekly Big 12 showdowns between BU, TCU, OU and OSU; the 3-way race in the B1G East between Ohio St, Michigan St and Michigan; (3) SEC West chaos OR LSU grinding out wins (though this is heavily influenced by the outcome of the Bama-LSU game on 11/7), and (4) the Utah-Stanford collision course. 

PasadenaFrog

FBallFan123 said:

Notre Dame @ Pitt
LSU @ Alabama
Florida State @ Clemson
TCU @ Oklahoma State
Where does ESPN College Gameday go? I hope they don't go to Stillwater. We don't need that place more fired up than it already will be. They've already been to Clemson and CBS will likely get the LSU-Bama game.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
PasadenaFrog said:
Where does ESPN College Gameday go? I hope they don't go to Stillwater. We don't need that place more fired up than it already will be. They've already been to Clemson and CBS will likely get the LSU-Bama game.
LSU @ Alabama and you're asking where CGD will be?

MinFrog

I will be pulling for KSU big time. I like Snyder too much and dislike Texas too much.

Texas isnt adding to the strength of the conference, so I am hoping they miss a bowl this year.

PasadenaFrog

RollToad said:
LSU @ Alabama and you're asking where CGD will be?
If ESPN/ABC picks up TCU-Ok State, I wouldn't be surprised if they factored that in to the ultimate selection. I agree that they will probably end up at LSU-Bama even though it will be a CBS game.

TCUdirtbag

PasadenaFrog said:
If ESPN/ABC picks up TCU-Ok State, I wouldn't be surprised if they factored that in to the ultimate selection. I agree that they will probably end up at LSU-Bama even though it will be a CBS game.

We're getting close to that point in the season where all kickoff time and network designations will be on 6-day holds.  You also have to start considering network appearance limits at some point (I believe teams can only appear on ESPN Networks and big FOX a certain number of times under the Big 12 contract).  

GlendarrochFrog

Going to a wedding this weekend for our former babysitter in Houston so I likely won't be watching. She is a TCU grad and purposely scheduled her wedding when TCU was on a bye week so she wouldn't have to miss watching a game. How solid is that!

PurplePutt

I will be pulling for:

USC over Utah

Ole' Miss over Aggies 

KSU over UT

Tech over OU

GT over FSU

Miami over Clemson

Not even considering ISU @ BU but maybe the river will rise and flood the toilet and the Baylor bench will be swarmed by nests of breeding Cotton Mouths.

TCUdirtbag

PurplePutt said:
I will be pulling for:
USC over Utah
Ole' Miss over Aggies 
KSU over UT
Tech over OU
GT over FSU
Miami over Clemson
Not even considering ISU @ BU but maybe the river will rise and flood the toilet and the Baylor bench will be swarmed by nests of breeding Cotton Mouths.

Agree with all except Utah-USC. I hate USC and can't pull against our old MWC brethren.