• The KillerFrogs

We don't guard anyone

FrogLifeYo

One of the worst defensive teams I've ever seen..Don't fight through ball screens, can't close out, and rarely help each other. The most troubling thing is that we seem to lack effort on the defensive end.

Ever met someone who went All glassy eyed while your talking to them? You know they are sitting there thinking about what they are going to say rather than listening to you. We are that guy on the defensive end of the floor. We are barely engaged waiting our turn to go try and score the ball...

Tom Brown

One of the worst defensive teams I've ever seen..Don't fight through ball screens, can't close out, and rarely help each other. The most troubling thing is that we seem to lack effort on the defensive end.

Ever met someone who went All glassy eyed while your talking to them? You know they are sitting there thinking about what they are going to say rather than listening to you. We are that guy on the defensive end of the floor. We are barely engaged waiting our turn to go try and score the ball...

Hyperbole

Tom Brown

Waiting on your bottom 10 list of worst defensive teams youve ever seen.
Where does your schools 7th grade girls team rank?

hometown frog

That offense that Vandy initially rolled out was interesting. That kept their men up near the free throw line extended and rolled and passed from there. Really opened up lanes near the basket against us early as there was no help side defender there to stop penetration. As soon as we sank our rotations they nailed every three they tossed up.

Bad loss today. This one can come back to bite us a bit come selection Sunday.

FrogLifeYo

Waiting on your bottom 10 list of worst defensive teams youve ever seen.
Where does your schools 7th grade girls team rank?
Let me clarify...One of the worst college basketball teams I've seen on the defensive end. Not hyperbole...

I assume you believe we've just been unlucky all year watching team after team have their best offensive performances against us? This will make you really mad...JD deserves a little heat for not employing more zone. It's pretty obvious we are slow on the perimeter and matching up is an is an issue.

Tom Brown

Let me clarify...One of the worst college basketball teams I've seen on the defensive end. Not hyperbole...

I assume you believe we've just been unlucky all year watching team after team have their best offensive performances against us? This will make you really mad...JD deserves a little heat for not employing more zone. It's pretty obvious we are slow on the perimeter and matching up is an is an issue.

Nah, i just choose not to exaggerate the depth of the issue. Its pretty aggy.

netty2424

The issue is no inside defensive presence. Gaurds play off bc they know they can't press and get beat inside bc there's no one down low to protect the basket. Guards playing off means open shots, means more makes, means higher percentage. That's why it seems like we consistently have guys hitting often from deep. Bc we do. All starts inside.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
WVU missed and missed and missed again. We did contest them better than we usually do but a lot of that poor shooting was on them...not because our D was outstanding.
I get that but the argument around here has been our defense is so bad that every team was shooting at above average rates. So when a team doesn't do so it isn't because of our defense it is because the other team just had an off night.

When do our guys get credit? Or is that just not possible to give out?

Peacefrog

Degenerate

So you have watched very little college basketball then. Dumb post.

Yep, not world beaters on defense but worst ever is so stupid I can't believe I'm responding to such stupidity. I am now more stupider for doing so. Thanks.

Purp

The issue is no inside defensive presence. Gaurds play off bc they know they can't press and get beat inside bc there's no one down low to protect the basket. Guards playing off means open shots, means more makes, means higher percentage. That's why it seems like we consistently have guys hitting often from deep. Bc we do. All starts inside.
I disagree that more some is what we need. We are horrible at 3 point defense and the easiest way to beat the zone is to shoot over it.

I also disagree that interior defense is the problem. Help defense inside sucks at times, but far more often the help D is there and we'll give up a kick out to an open jump shooter for an easy 3. Teams have so many open looks at 3 bc we do way too much ball watching from the perimeter (looking for a fast break the other way) and we rotate very slowly. Neither of those things has anything to do with interior defense.

netty2424

I disagree that more some is what we need. We are horrible at 3 point defense and the easiest way to beat the zone is to shoot over it.

I also disagree that interior defense is the problem. Help defense inside sucks at times, but far more often the help D is there and we'll give up a kick out to an open jump shooter for an easy 3. Teams have so many open looks at 3 bc we do way too much ball watching from the perimeter (looking for a fast break the other way) and we rotate very slowly. Neither of those things has anything to do with interior defense.
Ball watching for fast breaks? That's a pretty big assumption.

I can see slow rotations being an issue at times but you can find that with any team in any game. Just happens sometimes.

If you've watched the WVU Kentucky game tonight, WVU has dominated inside with their big man Konate throwing everything that has come inside. We do not have that and that absolutely helps a guard tighten up. Very similar to a DB having safety help over the top. DB can take some risks as will a gaurd knowing if the guy gets past him, there's a good chance that ball is coming back out.

Purp

Ball watching for fast breaks? That's a pretty big assumption.

I can see slow rotations being an issue at times but you can find that with any team in any game. Just happens sometimes.

If you've watched the WVU Kentucky game tonight, WVU has dominated inside with their big man Konate throwing everything that has come inside. We do not have that and that absolutely helps a guard tighten up. Very similar to a DB having safety help over the top. DB can take some risks as will a gaurd knowing if the guy gets past him, there's a good chance that ball is coming back out.
Yes. Ball watching. If not looking for fast break ops then it's even worse bc the only reason would be laziness. Nearly every time a PG drives inside and kicks out he hits an open shooter who should be covered by a guy who is standing outside watching the play happen.

You won't hear me argue that it wouldn't be nice to have a Konate inside, but I'm convinced we'd still have terrible 3 point defense even if he wore our jersey.

4th. down

With Hamdy out, no inside presence on defense. He fouls a lot but he is aggressive in the paint. For whatever reason, they are not playing for JD right now. When the whistle blows, they act as if they haven't had their morning coffee yet and guess what, we are down 10 on the road again. Struggle back, worn out with only 7 players and they don't want to use their energy for defense. Olden and Nembhard have not, as of yet, panned out, to help on the rotation either on offense or defense. With Fisher out, it's going to be a grind going forward.

Purp

With Hamdy out, no inside presence on defense. He fouls a lot but he is aggressive in the paint. For whatever reason, they are not playing for JD right now. When the whistle blows, they act as if they haven't had their morning coffee yet and guess what, we are down 10 on the road again. Struggle back, worn out with only 7 players and they don't want to use their energy for defense. Olden and Nembhard have not, as of yet, panned out, to help on the rotation either on offense or defense. With Fisher out, it's going to be a grind going forward.
I'm sorry you've missed Olden's last few games.