• The KillerFrogs

UT coming for Del Conte?

flyfishingfrog

1. GP
2. JD
3. CDC
4. JS

They are all great at what they do, but college baseball is significantly less important than football and basketball.
based on what - the interest of the overall nation or our school?

Because there is no way baseball is less important than basketball at TCU at the current time.

Maybe if we get to the sweet 16 4 years in a row - but based on our alumni giving and requests going through the different funding areas of TCU - baseball is a bigger deal to the Frognation right now

Lone Frog

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me like Mack would be a great hire for them as AD. He already knows the landscape down there, he understands college athletics, he's a smart guy and he has the kind of tremendous one-on-one charisma for the gladhanding required of an AD (not to mention the temperament for it). I'm sure there's still some hard feelings from the people who wanted him out (they may be regretting that move now) but I think he'd do an excellent job in Austin.

Wexahu

Because there is no way baseball is less important than basketball at TCU at the current time.

Maybe if we get to the sweet 16 4 years in a row - but based on our alumni giving and requests going through the different funding areas of TCU - baseball is a bigger deal to the Frognation right now

Baseball is just a less significant sport at the college level. I'm not sure there are many ADs at the P5 level, if any, whose job security is more tied to the success of the baseball program vs the basketball program.

WhatTheFrog

Man, hell no.

I think this is the perfect place for CDC. It's a private university, he basically has any say he wants within the athletic department, and he's done one HELL OF A JOB and cemented his legacy within this athletic department (similar to Patterson and Schlossnagle). All of this is not to mention the interaction that he apparently has with the (sometimes finicky) fanbase we have, which is much smaller than a public university would have.

CDC is part of our Mount Rushmore.

Frogcrates

Enter Boschini:

5e6.gif

I’ll bet you $1 that TCU made as much in hoops revenue as they did on baseball revenue last season. Might be more important to some but not as many as you think. It won’t take 4 sweet 16’s either to be a bigger revenue earner.

Froglaw

Let's face it, the only person fit to be AD at UT is Coach Royal. Just sit a medium with a cell phone next to his resting place.

I met Coach Royal at the invitation of James Street just before both of their deaths.

Two of the finest gentlemen I've ever met.

flyfishingfrog

I’ll bet you $1 that TCU made as much in hoops revenue as they did on baseball revenue last season. Might be more important to some but not as many as you think. It won’t take 4 sweet 16’s either to be a bigger revenue earner.
If you think revenue is the main factor of importance to TCU for any sport, you probably need to gain a better understanding of the correlated effect of winning on fund raising, tuition increases, applications, etc

We were spending a ton more than we made on all
Sports in the mwc days because of what being a winner brought to TCU off the field

Winning brings money in a lot more ways than losing and we are winners in baseball a lot more than we have ever been in basketball to date

Not a coincidence that Lupton was built and upgraded before Scholl or that our baseball coach is a top 3 paid in the country when even our football coach doesn’t have that distinction yet

PurplFrawg

Administrator
I met Coach Royal at the invitation of James Street just before both of their deaths.
Two of the finest gentlemen I've ever met.
I guess you never sat through any of Royals classy “put the first string back in and run up the score on TCU” games.

Or the James Street response to the instructor who wouldn't give him a passing grade on a test he failed; went out in the hallway, ripped a water fountain off the wall, and smashed it on the floor.

W

Way of the Frog

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me like Mack would be a great hire for them as AD. He already knows the landscape down there, he understands college athletics, he's a smart guy and he has the kind of tremendous one-on-one charisma for the gladhanding required of an AD (not to mention the temperament for it). I'm sure there's still some hard feelings from the people who wanted him out (they may be regretting that move now) but I think he'd do an excellent job in Austin.

Mack is the last thing they need at Texas. Mack is about Mack plain and simple.

That athletic department is already loaded with dead weight and he would be the last guy to clear it out. Additionally, the people pushing for him are the money people who have lost influence inside the department and want things to go back to the way it was before they started to clear out things after Mack and Dodds left their positions.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
I have been concerned about the potential for CDC leaving for someplace like Texas. Obviously, he is fantastic and loves working with the administration, coaches and supporters at TCU. We should give him whatever he wants to keep him here. He seems to really love TCU.

However, given the huge revenues running thru the UT program and the absolute rock bottom state of many of their athletic teams, this would be an outstanding opportunity with tremendous upside. They would have to money whip him, but they would get his compensation back times ten because of his skill. Given that a new AD would have pretty free reign to hire who he wants, concentrate on the needed facilities and build a new culture, the new AD is going to swing a pretty big stick.

I think the main stumbling block on anyone hiring CDC is his genuine love of working with our coaches, administration, students, faculty and supporters. A big school like UT has too many uber rich A-holes to deal with as well as a granola-head faculty and student population. I would hate dealing with people like that, but CDC is so damn good at dealing with diverse people he might actually be able to pull it off.