• The KillerFrogs

Tulsa World: Expansion options abound for Big 12

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
[SIZE=12pt]Tulsa World: Expansion options abound for Big 12[/SIZE]

By JOHN KLEIN Senior Sports Columnist

But if the Big 12 is to survive the next round of expansion and consolidation, it eventually will have to consider expansion.

Be creative. Be bold.

Quit listening to the pessimists. Make a bid. Make a serious bid and go after Arkansas and LSU. No one will leave the SEC? Maybe. Maybe not. ...

berryfrog95

huh?? Lost credibility when writer says: "There also has been talk of Boise State (112) and Nevada-Reno (108)." No there hasn't. Guy doesn't even mention Notre Dame...wow.

Frog Attack II

I found this reader response to be very telling:

"The gall and irony is thick.

One month it's a hundred different rationale's why the Utah's, BYU's, Boise's, and TCU's aren't worthy for BCS inclusion when it comes to a fair and equal shot at the National Championship. The next it's rationale' for how the likes of New Mexico, UNLV, Colorado State, Louisville, and Memphis are worthy of BCS inclusion at the luxury of one of the 6 BCS Conferences.

One can't help but question the root foundations of conceptual right and wrong... good and bad... truth and falsehood that fosters and produces such logic, reasoning, sense of fairness, and righteousness. "

Man... the entire sport is sick w/ the greed virus. Just another bubble to pop in the near future in my opinion. when they turn this into semi-professional, what differences will there be between semi-pro college football, the Canadien Football league, and arena football? They've completely lost their way IMO - it's no longer about athletic performance of "student athletes". It's about TV sets in your market & the hope that additions to a conference will bring the fat cats more TV Revenue and more wins...

Bob

Of all the stupid expansion articles that have appeared, this one is tops on the list.

This guy also looks like he got his nose caught by an aggie yell leader when he zipped up his pants.

westtexfrog

QUOTE(Frog Attack II @ Jun 22 2010, 08:33 AM) [snapback]585666[/snapback]

One month it's a hundred different rationale's why the Utah's, BYU's, Boise's, and TCU's aren't worthy for BCS inclusion when it comes to a fair and equal shot at the National Championship. The next it's rationale' for how the likes of New Mexico, UNLV, Colorado State, Louisville, and Memphis are worthy of BCS inclusion at the luxury of one of the 6 BCS Conferences.

One can't help but question the root foundations of conceptual right and wrong... good and bad... truth and falsehood that fosters and produces such logic, reasoning, sense of fairness, and righteousness. "

Man... the entire sport is sick w/ the greed virus. Just another bubble to pop in the near future in my opinion. when they turn this into semi-professional, what differences will there be between semi-pro college football, the Canadien Football league, and arena football? They've completely lost their way IMO - it's no longer about athletic performance of "student athletes". It's about TV sets in your market & the hope that additions to a conference will bring the fat cats more TV Revenue and more wins...

"....when they turn this into semi-professional" I can remember as a young boy in the 60's hearing my father say that television was ruining professional sports (he loved baseball) and that eventually he thought television would ruin collegiate sports. As much as I wish we still had him today, I am glad that he isn't having to watch the distruction of college sports we are witnessing today. Just my opinion, but "they" have already turned college football and basketball into semi-professional. sports.

HG73

Dumbest expansion article ever. He forgot Toby's Business College and the Edna Gladney Home, the 786th and 1147th Tv markets. They'd make a great fit in the Tornado Alley 10.

Dogfrog

QUOTE(Frog Attack II @ Jun 22 2010, 08:33 AM) [snapback]585666[/snapback]

College football remains an amateur intercollegiate game. It carries federal tax exempt status based on the flimsy argument that it's all about education, which the NCAA desperately tries to defend. What could be more ridiculous? It's a full blown billion dollar industry. The college Presidents have knowingly turned the game over to a handful of TV networks, bowls, and conference money grubbers in an effort to allow the few to hoard the most. You are correct that the collegiate, amateur image is what has differentiated this game from the NFL and made it great. The more they try to make it like the NFL, the more they will have to compete head to head with the NFL. Unless the Presidents get off their duffs, we won't recognize college football in ten years, maybe sooner.

West Coast Johnny

I'm not saying TCU should be considered for Big 12 - but if the conference is serious about keeping people attention, they need to get quality athletic programs - not just large markets.

Filling

Recovered Workaholic
QUOTE(Duquesne Frog @ Jun 22 2010, 01:02 PM) [snapback]585869[/snapback]
I had no idea the UNITED STATES Air Force Academy was a private school ...

It's not a private school...it's an almost-a-lieutenant school. :biggrin:

PurplePutt

QUOTE(HFrog71 @ Jun 22 2010, 01:29 PM) [snapback]585878[/snapback]
Good grief people...you are taking this clown's article more serious than his readership in Tulsa.

OK guys you can beat me up on this one but the guy has some good points. Think about a few things here.

If all this super conference thing goes down and we really did end up with four 16 school conferences, the Big 12 will be gone in the scramble immediately---unless they act first.

NM and UNLV do have good size TV markets. They do have really solid basketball programs. I, for one, think that inclusion in a big auto-bid conference would give them the money and prestige and resulting recruiting to significantly upgrade their football and baseball programs (as well). I would throw CSU with the CO market and BYU with the UT market (and 6 million Mormons in the country) in that mix. A move that included adding those 4, TCU, and Arkansas would pretty much solidify their continued existence and block the PAC 12 from absorbing 4 of them in the scramble.

A 16 team Big 12 made up with those new members would probably get split east/west.

If they don't make an early move with something like this and the shoe drops with expansion, they will be the first to disband.

Just another in the thousands of wasted thoughts on this BS topic!

fwfrog

QUOTE(West Coast Johnny @ Jun 22 2010, 12:21 PM) [snapback]585851[/snapback]
I'm not saying TCU should be considered for Big 12

I do get tired of your broken "TCU is not a "significant player" bs. If possible, become a SFA fan.

Go Frogs!

TCU to the SEC.