• The KillerFrogs

Tuberville trashes Tech

froginaustin

Reminds me a bit of what Lou Holtz said about Fayetteville after coaching there or 6 or 7 years- "it's not the end of the world, but it's a close as you can get to it." Actually Fayetteville is better than Lubbock or Waco, so

The Ozarks countryside-- clean air, mountain views, whitewater rivers and wonderful lakes, is WAY better than anything within 50 miles of Waco or maybe 300 miles of Lubbock. But the inhabitants of them thar hills are generally best avoided. Not necessarily so, in Lubbock or even Waco. Ain't hard to find great peeps in either of those places.

Purp

The Ozarks countryside-- clean air, mountain views, whitewater rivers and wonderful lakes, is WAY better than anything within 50 miles of Waco or maybe 300 miles of Lubbock. But the inhabitants of them thar hills are generally best avoided. Not necessarily so, in Lubbock or even Waco. Ain't hard to find great peeps in either of those places.
I beg your pardon?

I've found people in Lubbuttock to be most loathsome. Nobody worth a damn in my trips there.

And people in Waco, while they may be friendly, are downright weird. I don't think the Branch Davidians and Waco were a coincidence.

The woo pig people are weird too, but at least they have an excuse.

LevelHead

I beg your pardon?

I've found people in Lubbuttock to be most loathsome. Nobody worth a damn in my trips there.

And people in Waco, while they may be friendly, are downright weird. I don't think the Branch Davidians and Waco were a coincidence.

Probably not differentiating between drunk college sophomores on gameday, and those that call LBK home permanently. West Texas and Lubbock are not short on manners or hospitality. I love living in DFW...but the people here may as well be a-hole New Yorkers by comparison.

I beg your pardon?

sounds like you might be the problem

WhatTheFrog

Full disclosure...

I began my college experience at Tech in 1990. I met my trashy wife there (been married for 23 years now). She graduated there in 1994. She's from a TINY town of about 600 in west TX and Tech is the "place to be" in that part of the state. It's ok, I forgive y'all.

The non-collegiate people in that part of the state are some of the nicest, most accommodating people you've ever met. Tech students/fans are some of the worst a-holes you've ever met. I know this because I was one of them. Completely loud, obnoxious, inebriated, etc. "We" relished in it because we always felt slighted. At least until the SWC fell apart and Tech was included in the Big 12.

This was a behavior that I found difficult to change as I became a season ticket holder at TCU. It has been many years, but I have become a "typical" TCU fan (for the most part) over the years. The Tech mentality still comes out at times with the visiting fans that always sit in the row in front of us every game. The hogs were the last ones to really test my restraint, though I made sure they got an earful and a warning.

Anyway, Tubs was a total doosh. I don't understand what he thought he was going to accomplish coming into a Big 12 conference where nearly every team was going to a spread offense and he wanted to implement some type of SEC hybrid BS. That was never going to work in the Big 12 with the speed involved on both sides of the ball. No one liked him. He might as well have been some kind of Northeasterner trying to come into the Texas state government and telling everyone that we should adopt all of their failed policies to become better. The bigger doosh move was how he left Tech for Cincinnati. Really, Cincinnati? You leave one of the major Big 12 programs for that craphole? He had to have seen the writing on the wall.

He was "forced to Tech"...that's classic for a beggar to say. So dooshy.

I've tried to keep it clean and non-Techish. I think I've been successful.

Chongo94

At least in my experience Tech had good fans pre-Leach. The whole 'lets act like total drunken a*****' started under his tenure.

EXACTLY. I was out there pre-leach and then again during Leach through Coach DudeBro. A complete change in the fan base in the way most acted.

WhatTheFrog

Actually, "we" were arseholes during Spike's tenure as well.

Don't believe the reports about when the tortilla tradition started. It had not much to do with the whole story about "the only thing they produce in Lubbock is tortillas" or whatever that news report was about. It started in 1991 and tortillas were a pack for $1. They were cheap and easy to sneak into the stadium. I didn't participate the first day that tortillas flew, but it was on after that.

"We" totally hated Aggy. Tea-sippers, too, but it seemed that Tech could never beat them. The Aggy game was always a big deal because it was typically close at that time.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Actually, "we" were arseholes during Spike's tenure as well.

Don't believe the reports about when the tortilla tradition started. It had not much to do with the whole story about "the only thing they produce in Lubbock is tortillas" or whatever that news report was about. It started in 1991 and tortillas were a pack for $1. They were cheap and easy to sneak into the stadium. I didn't participate the first day that tortillas flew, but it was on after that.

"We" totally hated Aggy. Tea-sippers, too, but it seemed that Tech could never beat them. The Aggy game was always a big deal because it was typically close at that time.

If memory serves (and a lot of those memory banks have been... damaged...), the tortilla heaving began with one of the vendors in the stadium serving fajitas with lousy tortillas. The kids would eat the meat and heave the tortilla. It wasn't long until they began saving the tortillas for a score, and the "tradition" was born...

Mrs. Brewingfrog had her brain LawBotomized at the Law School up there from '90 to '92. Many strange things. Abuelo's was still good. Crossed Keys had the best wine selection. Frenchmen's Inn and Grapevine Cafe were always good eats.