• The KillerFrogs

Traveling/Driving to Norman

ColinBurns

Any folks familiar with games there that can give pro tips on things to do/not to do?
Namely:
- Where to park
- What you can/can bring in the stadium (read: a flask)
- Are the fan Texas Tech-levels obnoxios

First time to head up there, we're driving up and spending the night in the metropolis that is Oklahoma City.

Sebastian S

I went in 2015, parking I believe was next to their basketball arena and a shuttle to the stadium. There was a TCU alumni event inside- worth the admission because it was freezing then.

Fans are alright, I mostly stayed with TCU fans in the endzone they just finished construction on, the one that completed the bowl.

Wexahu

My experience as a visiting fan is if you don't mouth off and act like an obnoxious jackass, then most people treat you fine. And if you're doing nothing wrong and there are still people going over the line and making your time miserable, then the home fans will usually turn on the guilty party.

Chongo94

Might have to extend or reschedule things but you could always take the train up there. Wouldn't have to mess with the hassle of driving. Amtrak goes from Fort Worth to both Norman and OKC. Train to Norman is in the evening, however, but I believe it runs everyday.

tcumaniac

My experience as a visiting fan is if you don't mouth off and act like an obnoxious jackass, then most people treat you fine. And if you're doing nothing wrong and there are still people going over the line and making your time miserable, then the home fans will usually turn on the guilty party.

Yep. Except in Lubbock. Those people suck.

From my experiences, OU people are a fairly friendly fan base.

Ray Finkle

Also curious about parking/tailgating. Staying Friday in Bricktown and heading to Norman on Saturday

TCU friend and I will be in Bricktown on Friday. Perhaps we can find a designated bar for everyone to meet after dinner?

Fans are awesome. I was there in 2005 and they were nothing but great. I was there into 2013 and heard not a single negative comment. Lots of people walked up to welcome us to Norman. OU has always respected our program and felt that we have done things the right way. However, this could change because we are not that "cute little school with a football team" anymore and could knock them out of the playoffs this weekend.

finafrog

went in 08, so a lot might have changed. parked near the main drag, Boyd St, on somebody's lawn for $20, very close to everything. There is a place called Campus corner with many restaurants, ate pizza in that area (I was with kids, so that was more appealing to them than tailgating). Next day ate at a place called The Mont, pretty good breakfast. The tailgating was all around the stadium, saw (and tailgated some) with frog friends along Jenkins Ave (east of the stadium) and Lindsey (south of the stadium).

OU fans were pretty decent, nothing compared to Tech. Would go again (unlike Tech).

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Might have to extend or reschedule things but you could always take the train up there. Wouldn't have to mess with the hassle of driving. Amtrak goes from Fort Worth to both Norman and OKC. Train to Norman is in the evening, however, but I believe it runs everyday.

Chongo, I gave you a Like but need to interject—when my wife & daughter had to take the Amtrak train from San Antonio to Fort Worth on 3 separate occasions they were extremely delayed & eventually forced to go by bus turning a normal 4-5 hour train trip into a 10+ hour trip from hell. I know trains break or weather delays happen but I’d advise against anyone taking Amtrak for a time sensitive arrival such as this game or they might end listening to it on their cellphones. In Gainesville. Waiting on another bus-stop.

MAcFroggy

My family has had season ticket to OU games since before I was born. I went to almost every home game while I was growing up until I started at TCU. I still attend a couple games a year with family if they do not interfere with TCU games. I assume most people are going to be coming from the west side after exiting 35.
  • We almost always exit Lindsey Street and take that toward campus as opposed to Main, Boyd, or Highway 9.
  • My family generally parks in the neighborhood to the west of campus. People there sell parking for $20-$40 per car in their lawns and driveways. The area bounded by Lindsey and Boyd just west of the campus is where we park. You can get a spot that is about a 15 minute walk to the stadium for $20. Bring Cash.
  • If you do not mind a little walk to the stadium (15 minutes) you can park at McKinley Elementary school west of campus. This is located just west of campus. Bring cash.
  • You can obviously hit up campus corner if you want to go to a place to watch games.
  • You can also go to the student union building which is near the stadium. They have a food court and also have an area on the lower level with TVs, comfortable chairs, couches, and some places to relax. We like to head here if it is too hot or too cold to just be standing around outside.
Edit: They have security at the stadium. I do not think you have to walk through metal detectors, but they might have people using detector wands at the entrances. They do not have the clear bag policy, but they prohibit large purses. Most people at this point have a clear bag, so I would be on the safe side and use the clear bag. I honestly think the fans are pretty good sports overall. There are definitely some "T-Shirt" fans that can be annoying, but overall they are a very smart fanbase and not mean to opposition fans.

Last edited:

FrogLifeYo

High Volume of T-Shirt fans that will give you grief but the grads and are pretty nice..Not a ton of animosity towards TCU but ofcourse....We are working on that..

talor

How hard is it to get out of there after the game? 1 being easy 10 being exiting from deep within lot 4 hard.

MAcFroggy

How hard is it to get out of there after the game? 1 being easy 10 being exiting from deep within lot 4 hard.

If you park on the west side of campus it is generally not terrible. Way more people than a tcu game but traffic flow and police direction is much better. They just redid the on ramp / off ramp for 35 and Lindsey st which has improved flow a little bit too.

We actually have (2) seats left on the KillerFrogs Chartered Bus sponsored by Rahr Brewing.

We are leaving, out of Lot 13, at 1:00, Saturday. We are parking at Lloyd Noble Center. There is a shuttle to take you to the Stadium if you don't want to walk. ETA back in Fort Worth is 2:30AM. $65/person