• The KillerFrogs

This Is Why You Never Say Never...

NewFrogFan

Kind of funny they wont let players transfer under alot of conditions to teams on schedule/conference but when it comes time for the "adults" to go somewhere.........there are never any rules. I'm not dissing on CDC but it always amazes me the "terms" for players/coaches/admin.

mgsouthpaw

CDC a few months ago, quote: "I love the Frog nation. I have the best job on the planet. I will be your AD as long as you will have me."

I love CDC, what he has HELPED TCU do over the last 10 years has been special.

But this is why Gary never says never, keeps it real. Now, my last memory of CDC as AD will be thinking that he lied to us, to keep us happy, until he got the job/check/whatever he really wanted.

I know "everybody does it," but pardon me for holding people to higher expectations. And their word.

Love you CDC, just wish it didn't happen this way.

Young man, do not always take peoples’ word literally. Espically the written word without inflection.

Wexahu

Kind of funny they wont let players transfer under alot of conditions to teams on schedule/conference but when it comes time for the "adults" to go somewhere.........there are never any rules. I'm not dissing on CDC but it always amazes me the "terms" for players/coaches/admin.

They won’t let players transfer because it would be absolute chaos if they did let them every time a coach got fired or left. And no kid picks a school based on who the AD is anyway. Way too much is being made of this IMO. Thinking he was going to stay here forever, no matter what he’s said in the past, is naive. Texas needed an AD, they are a major program whose major sports teams stink at the moment, and CDC cashed in on what is a pretty good opportunity. BFD. There are plenty of capable people out there, we’ll find one.

cdsfrog

I understand this sentiment. Saying he darned us over was a harsh way to express it. But I get the heat of the moment and all.
That's all it was. I'm pissed it's Texas but it wasn't vindictive or evil. It's just business and a [ Finebaum ] load of money.

The UT factor made me go nuts

4th. down

Wish him well, he did so much for us with class but then again, that's why he was making the $$ he was. However, anyplace but Texas. That hurts - Arkansas, Nebraska, UCLA or anywhere else but not UT.

We are in the best shape, and I say that for the entire university, that we've ever been, so we need to move on, and to whom? Hopefully, James Cash Jr. PHD. would be my 1st. choice. Doubt we could come with the $$ or it would be too much of a step down for him but at least, let's try.

Pharm Frog

Contrary to the OPs assertion, this is precisely why people in these types of leadership positions say "never" or whatever needs to be said when it needs to be said. If he had "kept it real" and admitted that he'll listen to reasonable offers, how deep would the donor pool have remained? How tenuous would his relationships have become? How hard would it have become to advance the work and mission? What if TCU was a publicly traded company and CDC had been viewed by investors as a critical asset in asserting the value of that company. If CDC had said anything other than what he said to the press, he would have sent the stock plummeting and would have been viewed as amazingly disloyal in the C-suite and boardroom. I highly doubt that VB and others were taken by surprise but could be wrong on this. Don't blame people for feeling misled though. Like others, I now wish him unimaginable failure because of the destination.

And like Navy said, sometimes you've accomplished what you set out to accomplish (and more) and it's time to move on and test yourself against something different. And, if that "different" is willing to pay you more money for it, all the better. Seven years is a lifetime for leadership like that. Now we need to go out and get someone who will advance the vision and accelerate positive change for as many stakeholders as possible.

Does the athletic department get to keep his wardrobe?

HG73

If that story is true about his meeting with Deloss Dodds and him talking our way into a P5 conference then we should keep paying him until he dies. Pretty sure he'll have some regrets jumping into that dumpster fire that is UT athletics.

cdsfrog

If that story is true about his meeting with Deloss Dodds and him talking our way into a P5 conference then we should keep paying him until he dies. Pretty sure he'll have some regrets jumping into that dumpster fire that is UT athletics.

I doubt it. UT will be dominant again probably in a couple years. Fix won't happen immediately but give him 4-5 years and see where UT is. One thing is he will have to deal with is an impatient and already frustrated fan base after a decade of sucking.

HG73

I doubt it. UT will be dominant again probably in a couple years. Fix won't happen immediately but give him 4-5 years and see where UT is. One thing is he will have to deal with is an impatient and already frustrated fan base after a decade of sucking.
He won't get 4-5 years. After Herman flops and his new hire flops then we'll see.

cdsfrog

He won't get 4-5 years. After Herman flops and his new hire flops then we'll see.

Why would his new hires flop?

Like I said part of the reason I was so pissed was a) ut and b) he's a damn good AD that is tough to replace. Great foundation set though.

HG73

Why would his new hires flop?

Like I said part of the reason I was so pissed was a) ut and b) he's a damn good AD that is tough to replace. Great foundation set though.
Because ut is a dumpster fire, albeit the biggest dumpster fire. That will be a lot tougher job than he is expecting.

NewFrogFan

They won’t let players transfer because it would be absolute chaos if they did let them every time a coach got fired or left. And no kid picks a school based on who the AD is anyway. Way too much is being made of this IMO. Thinking he was going to stay here forever, no matter what he’s said in the past, is naive. Texas needed an AD, they are a major program whose major sports teams stink at the moment, and CDC cashed in on what is a pretty good opportunity. BFD. There are plenty of capable people out there, we’ll find one.

You completely missed my point. I was not only speaking to CDC. I am speifically thinking about the raw deal Shea Patterson is getting from Ole Miss. I get not letting players just move around from team to team but when schools start putting restrictions on where the player can go it is a huge double standard. The "reason" Patterson went to Ole Miss is gone and the school "got caught", in those situations how can the school now dictate where he can now go to school. Much like Baylor, the Ole Miss ship is sinking fast. As far as chaos being created, who are "we" really worried about, the school or the STUDENT??? If the school screws up that bad, they deserve anything they get.

Last edited:
UT makes the most money in all of college sports total revenue and total profit. Why would someone want to go there? UT money whipped him plain and simple now he wants to MAKE TEXAS GREAT AGAIN! I just don't understand why we didn't match their offer? If we did and he still left then I might have some issues with him. If we didn't then thank him and lets move on. He didn't break a contract or steal our coaches wish the man well.

HG73

Made me laugh.

You have to admit this about Sharp, he is 100 percent Horned Frog.
Oh I'm not a Dan Sharp basher, I think he's just fine. Great Frog in college, been a coach here since then and a great recruiter. It just cracks me up that people want to get rid of him, that's why I posted his name, to continue the goofiness of KH and Cumby.