• The KillerFrogs

This Alot Like Duke Lacrosse

Atomic Frawg

That's not what I'm hearing. Heard the under cover cop spent 6 months building relationship, buying beers, playing pool, etc. then asked drugs much later

Could be that he was hanging out with Brock and eventually offered to pay.

Lots of ways for entrapment in this.
If you read the affidavit on Brock, that's not the case. Could the affidavit have falsity in it? Most assuredly. I'm a defense attorney, and I know that cops sometimes testi-lie, beat up folks, and stretch the truth in affidavits and reports to suit their needs. But it doesn't matter if they had threesomes together over he preceding six months. The UC was TAKEN to Brock to buy...and Brock apparently sold - more than once. An entrapment scenario is more like "hey, I know you only smoke, but you could make some money selling this 'fire'." Then if he pressed him to START selling - you have entrapment. Here, it looks like he was selling already.

horseman903

A friend who is a District Judge predicts most of the TCU sting cases will turn to dust.

Does the Tarrant County DA look forward to a clash with very good high-priced defense attorneys -- using testimony and evidence assembled by an undercover cop who couldn't recognize some of the "dealers" he fingered?

As one lawyer said, "In the event that the authorities in Tarrant County decide to pursue charges against my client, I look forward to a vigorous cross examination of the officer who swore under oath that he dealt with a different Austin Carpenter than my client. The inclusion of a photograph with the warrant is highly problematic for the authorities. The only reason for including a photograph in the warrant is for publicity. Clearly, the investigating authorities are more interested in headlines than justice. Their failed attempt at a photographic perp walk could result in acquittals of all of the students charged in this scandal."

Marijuana selling is illegal - even among friends - but it is pervasive and widely acknowledged.

Bud Kennedy says in the Star-Telegram: "... so far, most cases involve young people making dumb mistakes: selling their bathtub homegrown to a stranger, or lying about a pill being LSD.

This is not the work of the Zetas or the Gulf cartels.

To pad the count to 18, police included minor drug deals as far away from campus as Haltom City or Hulen Mall that only coincidentally involved students from TCU.

The list even included one case involving a man who is not a TCU student and doesn't live near campus. Police say he sold a quarter-ounce of pot.

Other cases were beefed up only because police arranged deliveries near campus, inside the lawful "drug-free zone."

Then there's the ruinous mistake involving Austin Carpenter, 26.

He lives in Dallas, not near TCU.

He didn't go to TCU. He went to Texas Tech."

The Grand Jury has not indicted anybody, but people have been misidentified. People have been hurt. There will be lawsuits. There will be awards.

The police may have overplayed their hand and there will be consequences.

Goo

As one lawyer said, "In the event that the authorities in Tarrant County decide to pursue charges against my client, I look forward to a vigorous cross examination of the officer who swore under oath that he dealt with a different Austin Carpenter than my client. The inclusion of a photograph with the warrant is highly problematic for the authorities. The only reason for including a photograph in the warrant is for publicity. Clearly, the investigating authorities are more interested in headlines than justice. Their failed attempt at a photographic perp walk could result in acquittals of all of the students charged.

To pad the count to 18, police included minor drug deals as far away from campus as Haltom City or Hulen Mall that only coincidentally involved students from TCU.

The list even included one case involving a man who is not a TCU student and doesn't live near campus. Police say he sold a quarter-ounce of pot.

Other cases were beefed up only because police arranged deliveries near campus, inside the lawful "drug-free zone."

Then there's the ruinous mistake involving Austin Carpenter, 26.

He lives in Dallas, not near TCU.

He didn't go to TCU. He went to Texas Tech."

The Grand Jury has not indicted anybody, but people have been misidentified. People have been hurt. There will be lawsuits. There will be awards.

The police may have overplayed their hand and there will be consequences.

Good info. Nice to see the attorney acknowledge the only reason for publishing their HS yearbook pics was for publicity.

Never knew some of the "TCU students" werent even student but just someone within 40 miles of Ft Worth. Geez they were stretching on this!

BoydAveFrogFan

That's not what I'm hearing. Heard the under cover cop spent 6 months building relationship, buying beers, playing pool, etc. then asked drugs much later

I buy this theory. you would think if this was a large uc op then the buys would have been for lbs not 1/2 oz or less. Probably because the kids didnt have access to large qty's. You would also assume large stashes of drugs would have been seized during the arrest.

HToady

I would also say that if it was the narc that suggested they meet on campus to make the exchange (where this applies), that double penalty could also be thrown out.