• The KillerFrogs

The Recruiting Thread

Young and Horned

Just need to get more people drafted. After this year's draft, we should get a little more notice on that front. 

Someone mentioned earlier, a full-ride is a full-ride. Just the same, most of these kids only care about getting to the next level or going somewhere where they can be the star. 

asleep003

Frogs On A Plane said:
While I agree with you some of the comments are ridiculous, they have ZERO impact on if he comes here or not. What has been said here is child's play and rated G compared to what Aggy said when he decommitted.

Nice take FOAP....

Cheers !

Froglaw

ftwfrog said:
Not at all, but we can be pissed. Not that he didn't choose TCU, that doesn't bother me one bit, but he used our coaching staff as a pawn.
No he used up a TCU recruiting spot/scholarship for a high school player who wanted to come to TCU.

That's just being selfish and greedy.

sandiegojack

I agree.  He used UT and TCU to drive up the price he will get from A$M.  Aggy and the $EC are made for each other.  I hope that our staff stops going after these high profile recruits that run the suspense to the last minute.  Same thing happens every time.  If they commit before signing day, fine.  If not, let someone else get their hearts broken.

cmcbee2

BAM Frog said:
First of all, that is a big assumption.  I think that you are thinking about Mack and English as interchangeable.  They are not the same caliber athlete.  My macro view on recruiting is to get the highest level of talent that you can each year, no matter the position.  Some years may be heavy in certain positions, some may be light.  The DT position is loaded in 2016.  We already have Marshall committed and are in serious contention for four other stud DTs.  If a team makes a mistake in an evaluation, they are stuck with that player (occupies a precious scholarship) for four years.  We have all heard GP mention this.  To answer your question, the coaches went after the best talent available and I will never fault them for that.  That is what they are suppose to do.  They did everything in their power to convince the kid and we are in his final two.  Yes, it appears that we are on the outside looking in but we were in contention. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, that's recruiting.  Assuming we don't get Mack, I would rather fill another more pressing need.  We have Joe Broadnax this year and think we could take three really solid DTs in 2016.
You're assuming points as well, i.e. they didnt necessarily want English. A bird in the hand...

Dogfrog

BAM Frog said:
First of all, that is a big assumption.  I think that you are thinking about Mack and English as interchangeable.  They are not the same caliber athlete.  My macro view on recruiting is to get the highest level of talent that you can each year, no matter the position.  Some years may be heavy in certain positions, some may be light.  The DT position is loaded in 2016.  We already have Marshall committed and are in serious contention for four other stud DTs.  If a team makes a mistake in an evaluation, they are stuck with that player (occupies a precious scholarship) for four years.  We have all heard GP mention this.  To answer your question, the coaches went after the best talent available and I will never fault them for that.  That is what they are suppose to do.  They did everything in their power to convince the kid and we are in his final two.  Yes, it appears that we are on the outside looking in but we were in contention. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, that's recruiting.  Assuming we don't get Mack, I would rather fill another more pressing need.  We have Joe Broadnax this year and think we could take three really solid DTs in 2016.
The highest level recruit is more than measurables and videos. There is an aspect of character, drive, and integrity that don't necessarily get factored into starsies.

FrogSwagSurfin

Dogfrog said:
The highest level recruit is more than measurables and videos. There is an aspect of character, drive, and integrity that don't necessarily get factored into starsies.
True, most important is if a kid will continue to want to get better. Talent in high school is great but building your craft and team chemistry brings wins. See 2013 to 2014 (plus coaching changes).

tcudoc

JogginFrog said:
Remember all-name recruit Dee Liner, who I think was considering the Frogs two years ago?
I remember Dee Liner
I think he does a syndicated radio show now.
snider.jpg

leofrog

Froglaw said:
No he used up a TCU recruiting spot/scholarship for a high school player who wanted to come to TCU.

That's just being selfish and greedy.
Disagree. He didn't use up a scholarship spot because he never committed to TCU. He wanted to wait until today to announce, and the coaches agreed to that in some way. There are 16 other players announcing on ESPNU today affecting about 30+ schools. It's the nature of the game these days with some of these higher ranked recruits. You either play the game or stay away from these guys. So, TCU is not the only school scrambling today.

traderfrog

To say our staff will never go after another 5-star because of this is pretty crazy. With how the 2016 class is shaping up there may very well be another one of these guys in the near future and we'll find ourselves in the same scenario going after some high profile recruit. (Except they probably won't be as big of a tease...we really got taken for a roller coaster ride on this one.)

Moose Stuff

traderfrog said:
To say our staff will never go after another 5-star because of this is pretty crazy. With how the 2016 class is shaping up there may very well be another one of these guys in the near future and we'll find ourselves in the same scenario going after some high profile recruit. (Except they probably won't be as big of a tease...we really got taken for a roller coaster ride on this one.)
It's not a massive stretch to say one of the kids we already have for 2016 ends up being a 5 star.

Horny 4 Life

traderfrog said:
Bryce English signed with K-State. Oh well, I don't really blame him after all this...

I could be wrong, but I don't think the coaching staff was trying very hard to get English.  It seems like they put his recruitment on ice a month or two ago.