• The KillerFrogs

The End of the Debate Courtesy of CDC

Dogfrog

No other fast food burger chain uses the quality ingredients Whataburger does. They cook the meat after you place your order. The veggies are fresh and are placed on the burger still cold. So you have a hot fresh hamburger patty and cold fresh veggies. Plus the bread is first rate. Fries are near perfect. And most of the time they bring it out to your table and offer you the finest fancy ketchup on earth. Plus there are excellent other options like the chicken fajita tacos. Plus is there any chain where store to store consistency is this excellent? Come on, In and Out is ok occasionally but no.

Edit: Plus they put mustard on my hamburger as the lord intended, so no "hold the mayo" necessary.

Moose Stuff

There is no way an In N Out burger is exactly what a McDonald's burger is.

Nobody said this. What was said is that In N Out is a glorified McDonalds.

I acknowledge that many people love In N Out. I’m not one of them. There’s one 10 minutes from my house and I haven’t eaten there ONCE. Probably eaten Whataburger 250 times over the same period of time.

DeuceBoogieNights

No other fast food burger chain uses the quality ingredients Whataburger does. They cook the meat after you place your order. The veggies are fresh and are placed on the burger still cold. So you have a hot fresh hamburger patty and cold fresh veggies. Plus the bread is first rate. Fries are near perfect. And most of the time they bring it out to your table and offer you the finest fancy ketchup on earth. Plus there are excellent other options like the chicken fajita tacos. Plus is there any chain where store to store consistency is this excellent? Come on, In and Out is ok occasionally but no.

This debate is dumb but the quality of Whataburger is so inconsistent from location to location that its one of the main reasons I hardly go. In N Out pays well so they have much better employees.

And I would argue that In N Out's meat is just as fresh as Whataburgers if not fresher.

The In N Out fries are mediocre though but I prefer In N Out burgers over Whataburger.

Also, Freebirds > Chipotle and the new Chipotle queso sucks.

Dogfrog

This debate is dumb but the quality of Whataburger is so inconsistent from location to location that its one of the main reasons I hardly go. In N Out pays well so they have much better employees.

And I would argue that In N Out's meat is just as fresh as Whataburgers if not fresher.

The In N Out fries are mediocre though but I prefer In N Out burgers over Whataburger.

You have lost all credibility and will be placed on ignore!

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
the new Chipotle queso sucks.

latest

Wexahu

Nobody said this. What was said is that In N Out is a glorified McDonalds.

I acknowledge that many people love In N Out. I’m not one of them. There’s one 10 minutes from my house and I haven’t eaten there ONCE. Probably eaten Whataburger 250 times over the same period of time.

I don't "love" it. But I don't have anything against it either. I like to eat. I like hamburgers, and theirs are just fine. For some reason that place engenders pretty strong feelings on both sides of the spectrum, I suppose because they are from California. It's not a bad burger at all.

Weird story, I hadn't eaten at a Whataburger for probably 20 years until about 5 years ago, for some reason I had it my mind that they weren't good and just never went there. Had friends that swore by it so I decided to give it another whirl finally. Now it's about my favorite place for a quick meal.

Moose Stuff

I don't "love" it. But I don't have anything against it either. I like to eat. I like hamburgers, and theirs are just fine. For some reason that place engenders pretty strong feelings on both sides of the spectrum, I suppose because they are from California. It's not a bad burger at all.

Weird story, I hadn't eaten at a Whataburger for probably 20 years until about 5 years ago, for some reason I had it my mind that they weren't good and just never went there. Had friends that swore by it so I decided to give it another whirl finally. Now it's about my favorite place for a quick meal.

If you hand me a burger from In N Out I’m gonna eat it. It’s a hamburger.

Also fully acknowledge the truth in the comment above about inconsistency of Whataburger locations. We have two in town here but I only eat at one of them. The other is meh way too often (burgers not warm enough the usual culprit).

InstaFrog

This definitely regarding consistency...

As an In-N-Out guy and hamburger aficionado, I was excited to try Whataburger. Ate at three in the Greater Fort Worth area over a year period.

First two times were pretty bad: Dried out patty soaked in mustard with limp lettuce and a mush tomato. If they made my burger to order, he must have read my mind from 10 minutes prior on I-30 cuz that burger was ready in one minute. The fries were consistently good but of the frozen fries/McDonalds variety, not the fresh cut of In-N-Out. Both good, but different. The Whataburgers were all fairly dirty (trash on tables, dirty booths, etc) and the employees indifferent. Had the feel of a dive burger joint, not the pride of Texas.
The third time I had a pretty good burger that gave me some hope and another reason, other than that Honey Butter Chicken Biscuit which should be registered as an controlled narcotic, to return to Whataburger.

In-N-Out is always consistently good: Same good burger, same clean restaurants and same courteous staff. Maybe because they are all In-N-Outs are still owned and controlled by the same original group, no franchisors.

Whataburger has a lot more variety most of which i have not tried, but the focus should be the burger. In-N-Out also has a secret menu if you want to change things up https://www.thrillist.com/eat/los-angeles/the-in-n-out-secret-menu-ranked

In-N-Out for me

Bob Sugar

This definitely regarding consistency...

As an In-N-Out guy and hamburger aficionado, I was excited to try Whataburger. Ate at three in the Greater Fort Worth area over a year period.

First two times were pretty bad: Dried out patty soaked in mustard with limp lettuce and a mush tomato. If they made my burger to order, he must have read my mind from 10 minutes prior on I-30 cuz that burger was ready in one minute. The fries were consistently good but of the frozen fries/McDonalds variety, not the fresh cut of In-N-Out. Both good, but different. The Whataburgers were all fairly dirty (trash on tables, dirty booths, etc) and the employees indifferent. Had the feel of a dive burger joint, not the pride of Texas.
The third time I had a pretty good burger that gave me some hope and another reason, other than that Honey Butter Chicken Biscuit which should be registered as an controlled narcotic, to return to Whataburger.

In-N-Out is always consistently good: Same good burger, same clean restaurants and same courteous staff. Maybe because they are all In-N-Outs are still owned and controlled by the same original group, no franchisors.

Whataburger has a lot more variety most of which i have not tried, but the focus should be the burger. In-N-Out also has a secret menu if you want to change things up https://www.thrillist.com/eat/los-angeles/the-in-n-out-secret-menu-ranked

In-N-Out for me
So how long have you been a Communist?

Frog DJ

Nobody goes to Good-Luck?

But, turning back the clock on the Merry-go-Rounders, I'd rather head north on University and go to Carlson's. Mmmm - frosty root beer and pascal girls. What more could a boy from Everman want?
My fond memories of Merry-Go-Round stem from the fact it was two blocks north of my childhood home, and two houses north of my grandparents house.

As such, I rode my bicycle to Merry-Go-Round regularly for a Coke or some other mid-afternoon treat, and it was a gathering place for me and many of my friends.

Carlson's wasn't within my reach until high school, and since I was a member of the 1966 class of Paschal, I hung out there regularly (on the chance I'd score a beer).

My parents always favored Kincaid's, but my favorite was Charlie's on Granbury Road. The fries were better at Kincaid's, but I especially loved the burgers from Charlie's!

I genuinely enjoy both, but Whataburger is a Texas icon, while In-And-Out screams, "California!" I'm not a California hater (I lived there for a while), but I'm native Texan.

So - Whataburger for my tastes.

Go Frogs!

Leap Frog

"Rockyfellers Hamburgers" on Magnolia next to Tivoli theater when I was a kid.
5 cents each (6 for 25 cents). Rocky sauce made them very tasty.
Had to make my own spending money redeeming scrap metal.
Price made them fit my budget-- had to have 35 cents to go to TCU football.