• The KillerFrogs

The British are coming, the British are coming

ScottPatrick

Well one Brit is or says he is:

OT Toby Lettman 6-8/329 Laguana Beach, CA Saddleback College originally from London, UK. Attended Glyn Technical Institute in Surrey and played for the Farnham Kights (a team started by several Americans living in the UK back in the 80s. His father Kenny Lettman who passed away in 2008 also played for the Knights.

Lettman will have 4 years to play 3 and if all is okay will enroll this summer.

FWIW Saddleback also had another OL from the UK, Menelik Watson who grew up in Manchester and eventually signed with Florida St and is now with Denver Broncos

https://www.instagram.com/tobylettman/

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
Link

Paul Revere never shouted the legendary phrase later attributed to him (“The British are coming!”) as he passed from town to town. The operation was meant to be conducted as discreetly as possible since scores of British troops were hiding out in the Massachusetts countryside. Furthermore, colonial Americans at that time still considered themselves British; if anything, Revere may have told other rebels that the “Regulars”—a term used to designate British soldiers—were on the move.

Limp Lizard

Third question: Why would Paul Revere have used the word "British," since he and the other colonists were as well?
He didn't. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow did in his poem "Paul Revere's Ride." Originally the colonists just wanted the rights of other British citizens. Since they were treated like second-class citizens, they decided to break away. I believe T. Jefferson wrote a short paper giving the reasons for the revolt.

Frog-in-law1995

He didn't. Henry Wadsworth Longfellow did in his poem "Paul Revere's Ride." Originally the colonists just wanted the rights of other British citizens. Since they were treated like second-class citizens, they decided to break away. I believe T. Jefferson wrote a short paper giving the reasons for the revolt.

"The British are coming" is not from Longfellow's poem. And I'm aware he didn't actually say it...that was the purpose of my post.

PhillyFrog

This thread reminds me of the old joke about the seven dwarfs and Snow White.

Punch line was "Quick, Snow White is coming."

Other dwarfs: "Me, too."