• The KillerFrogs

Texas Tech Press Conference

TCURiggs

We have the the 8th ranked passing offense in our conference (averaging only 2 more yards per game than Kansas). We are also ranked 8th at long passing plays at plays over 10 and 20 yards. So by those standards KH isn't average, he's well below average. As others have pointed out, he was put in a position to make high percentage throws where not much was asked of him. The guy's got heart, I loved seeing the fight in him against OU. He very well may be our best option, but with our CFP chances out the window, it's time to start thinking about next year.

If we don't find a way to beat TTU and BU it's all for naught. But realistically what are our chances of beating OU in Dallas with the same game plan?

Yes, by those very selective 10-20 yard stats Kenny looks below average. However, it's silly to even look at those stats since that's not the type of offense we run, and saying "so not much is asked of him" is dumb. He's asked to run our offense and take care of the ball, which he's done very well for the most part (outside of Ames). Here's some more stats:

36th in total offense
5th in 3rd down conversion %
32nd in TOP
30th in scoring offense

And most importantly.... 8-2

It's not an overwhelming offense, like OU or Okie State, but it's mostly been a very efficient and effective offense this season. Staying on the field/converting so many 3rd downs has been huge for the team. Also, finishing with Tech and Baylor should make those numbers look even better. Kenny and our offense aren't nearly as bad as some on here make them out to be.

Last edited:

Joe1000

No doubt that Shawn doesn't need to be totally green going into next season, which makes it odd that he didn't get more mop-up duty earlier in the year. That would've put him in a better spot if he has to start on Saturday as well.

My guess for Saturday: Kenny starts, Shawn rotates in a little more than he has (per GP's post-game comments in Norman) and throws a few, and maybe even finishes out the game if we can get it comfortably in hand. I'm sure we're banged up, but I bet GP also just wanted to throw some of that out there to give Kliff more to chew on.

This is actually my guess as well.

As far as SR being thrown to the wolves...Tech has (and has consistently had over the past - 5 yrs?? decade??) one of the worst defenses in the BIG 12. Maybe GP is actually thinking of next year, by letting SR get some time on the road against a BIG 12 opponent...who generally has an awful defense.

Even as I type this though...I can't imagine Patterson playing SR JUST for next yr while we have a shot at a league title. SO actually - never mind, this was a worthless post.

AroundWorldFrog

Such a promising season is crapping out before our eyes. I think GP knows the odds of us winning the next 2 and has started preparing for next season. I am surprised he did not mention Song also. What suddenly cured him?
Huh? People on here were calling for 7-5 and 8-4 seasons. We've exceeded what most people thought possible. And KH has been a large part of that.

H0RNEDFR0G

Yes, by those very selective stats Kenny looks below average. However, it's silly to even look at those stats since that's not the type of offense we run, and saying "so not much is asked of him" is dumb. He's asked to run our offense and take care of the ball, which he's done very well for the most part (outside of Ames). Here's some more stats:

36th in total offense
5th in 3rd down conversion %
32nd in TOP
30th in scoring offense

And most importantly.... 8-2

It's not an overwhelming offense, like OU or Okie State, but it's mostly been a very efficient and effective offense this season. Staying on the field/converting so many 3rd downs has been huge for the team. Also, finishing with Tech and Baylor should make those numbers look even better. Our offense isn't nearly as bad as some on here make it out to be.

I'm failing to see how passing yards per game is a "selective stat" when talking about how good a team's QB is. All of your stats include our ability to run the football... which is not in question. You're saying that's not the type of offense we have, I'm saying it is under Kenny Hill, so at this point it's just semantics. We lead the league at rushing attempts. TCU has NEVER lead the B12 at rushing attempts before this year.

Last edited:

TCURiggs

d
I'm failing to see how passing yards per game is a "selective stat" when talking about how good a team's QB is. All of your stats include our ability to run the football... which is not in question. You're saying that's not the type of offense we have, I'm saying it is under Kenny Hill, so at this point it's just semantics. We lead the league at rushing attempts, that has literally never happened at TCU before.

I'm talking about the "10 to 20 yards" metric you threw out. Like I said in another thread, why the hell would we throw it downfield when it's not effective? If it's not your QB's strength, and your WR group drops the ball like crazy and runs wrong routes (according to our HC), why would you throw low percentage passes down the field? It's much smarter to do what we've done, which has been very effective for most of the year.

Also, GP has always been a proponent of running the ball. He hated how much his defense was on the field last season, as he's said, and this offense has done a great job of fixing that. They've moved the chains well and have done plenty to help us win 8 out of 10 games, and Kenny has been a big part of that.

Last edited:

ifrog

I'm failing to see how passing yards per game is a "selective stat" when talking about how good a team's QB is. All of your stats include our ability to run the football... which is not in question. You're saying that's not the type of offense we have, I'm saying it is under Kenny Hill, so at this point it's just semantics. We lead the league at rushing attempts. TCU has NEVER lead the B12 at rushing attempts before this year.

We lead the league at rushing attempts because we have (had) the best running back duo in the B12. And our offensive line (with Morris) was very good - in addition to having a new stud OLine coach. TCU hasn’t had two backs like we have since entering the B12. You are trying to equate more rushing attempts to Hill not being able to throw deep.

W

Way of the Frog

I might be sorry I am going to ask this question, but why does this even matter?

Pretty sure Kenny doesn't call plays, pretty sure Kenny was the quarterback last year when we threw it more than we ran it, and now this year with a new OC we are running it more.

Frogs are also 8-2 so what is the problem?

ifrog

Kliff has nothing to do with Tech's defensive game planning. The way they play defense, I don't think anyone has anything to do with their defensive game planning

So true. Is Kliffy out of a job if they don’t make a bowl game? Where has TechAdvisorz been? That guy predicted good thing this year and failed miserably again.

We lead the league at rushing attempts because we have (had) the best running back duo in the B12. And our offensive line (with Morris) was very good - in addition to having a new stud OLine coach. TCU hasn’t had two backs like we have since entering the B12. You are trying to equate more rushing attempts to Hill not being able to throw deep.
Add to that, GP told us he was going to do this when it was announced that Meacham wouldn't be back.

Aren't you the one that tried to convince everyone that UT was going to be a struggle?

Your opinions are worthless.

UT was a struggle. We had to depend on our defense. If our defense had let down at all, that 10 point lead would have meant nothing. That final TD was due to a Texas sell out to stop the run, which blew up in their face.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
UT was a struggle. We had to depend on our defense. If our defense had let down at all, that 10 point lead would have meant nothing. That final TD was due to a Texas sell out to stop the run, which blew up in their face.
I couldn't disagree more. But that's cool.
Edit: let me add to this - I assume you watched the OU game last weekend and agree that OU went conservative on offense wen they knew game was in hand and their defense had control? Are you able to relate that to the game against UT? Frogs didn't need another point. UT wasn't going anywhere. And if you don't think so you should go back and watch the game. 9 yards rushing. 8 sacks.

Last edited:

LisaLT

My position on Hill is that he may be our best option (he probably is), he's a good kid who's done pretty well, he's got weaknesses in his game, in particular he struggles executing the downfield passing game, that opponents have probably identified, but that given his struggles in recent weeks and the fact that SR does have 10 months of time under his belt now, I wouldn't mind seeing what he has. If he's terrible we can always put KH back in. I guess that's unreasonable and that I hate KH.
It doesn't matter how well you have explained your position or how logical it might be, a certain someone has a reading comprehension problem.

Huh? People on here were calling for 7-5 and 8-4 seasons. We've exceeded what most people thought possible. And KH has been a large part of that.
Careful 8-4 is still possible. On a lighter note, the Tech folks, I have talked to, don't want Kliff to win anymore games (us and Texas) so they can get rid of him