• The KillerFrogs

Texas Tech future

TX_Krötenechse

At this point, firing Kliff means losing Gibbs, which means another two or three years of lost defensive development and the potential to lose the only identity they have.

They aren’t good on defense this year, but if you look at the stats, they really have vastly improved over last season, and they’re returning 10 guys next year. If Duffey is able to sling it Tech-style next season and Gibbs continues to get the defense improving, they may have a legitimately good team.

Firing Kliff this Season not only exposes them to a busy coaching market full of better options, but also robs them of the chance for a good season next year.

The other side of this, of course, is that next year is probably his last shot. He has all the pieces to be successful ... so if he isn’t, then he’s out.

Wexahu

At this point, firing Kliff means losing Gibbs, which means another two or three years of lost defensive development and the potential to lose the only identity they have.

They aren’t good on defense this year, but if you look at the stats, they really have vastly improved over last season, and they’re returning 10 guys next year. If Duffey is able to sling it Tech-style next season and Gibbs continues to get the defense improving, they may have a legitimately good team.

Firing Kliff this Season not only exposes them to a busy coaching market full of better options, but also robs them of the chance for a good season next year.

The other side of this, of course, is that next year is probably his last shot. He has all the pieces to be successful ... so if he isn’t, then he’s out.

I’d be surprised if they are any better next year, on either side of the ball. I have a hunch the defensive improvement is going to end up being a farce. I just don’t think that program is going anywhere, they just aren’t getting the players and unless they have a really great season which would obviously change things, keeping KK on what amounts to 1-year contracts isn’t helping. As soon as they have a year without a bowl, he’s gone.

Not sure what the alternative is though, it’s the Big 12 and they’re in Lubbock. It’s hard.

TX_Krötenechse

I’d be surprised if they are any better next year, on either side of the ball. I have a hunch the defensive improvement is going to end up being a farce. I just don’t think that program is going anywhere, they just aren’t getting the players and unless they have a really great season which would obviously change things, keeping KK on what amounts to 1-year contracts isn’t helping. As soon as they have a year without a bowl, he’s gone.

Not sure what the alternative is though, it’s the Big 12 and they’re in Lubbock. It’s hard.
They might not get any better, but if they don’t, then KK is gone. I’m just saying that they saw real, measurable improvement on defense this year and return almost the entire squad, and Kliff really only needs to replace his QB on offense. So he has the tools for next season.

Brog

I'd be surprised if next y ear they were any better, either, but dammit, I wouldn't be surprised if they beat us. Don't know why they seem to have more lucky bounces against the Frogs than any other team. West Texas karma?

Boonescabanaboy

How is this related to Tech? Or is it just unrelated period as you said? Who is Thayer Evans? The name sounds familiar but I can't remember.

He's the guy that bashed OSU in that fictional series that forced us to spend $250k to hire an outside investigator to get in our business, and gave Art Briles another chance to bash us in recruiting. Hobie Point is a place where occasionally men get busted for activity that shouldn't take place in public.

Thayer Evans has never denied being caught in a sting operation there. I have been spearheading a Craig James type deal with Thayer because there are other schools that hate him too. He has made a "career" out of attack articles on whoever is the biggest threat to OU at the time.

So it is unrelated and of little interest to anyone on here but I rarely miss a chance to bring it up.

Chongo94

He's the guy that bashed OSU in that fictional series that forced us to spend $250k to hire an outside investigator to get in our business, and gave Art Briles another chance to bash us in recruiting. Hobie Point is a place where occasionally men get busted for activity that shouldn't take place in public.

Thayer Evans has never denied being caught in a sting operation there. I have been spearheading a Craig James type deal with Thayer because there are other schools that hate him too. He has made a "career" out of attack articles on whoever is the biggest threat to OU at the time.

So it is unrelated and of little interest to anyone on here but I rarely miss a chance to bring it up.

That's right! I knew it sounded familiar. Sounds like a [ profanity ].

I think, and this could be one of those chicken and egg things, that the turnover difference for them has made their defense seem far better than it actually is. No doubt it's improved some, but I have a feeling it hasn't improved near enough to help the program still Or to the extent that many think. Plus the penalties are still a ridiculous issue that Kingsbury nor any of them seem unable to fix.

And the whispers about Duffy do not bode well. Word is he's had tremendous trouble grasping the playbook and hasn't been very accurate on the scout team. That Carter kid looked woeful in his little action this year so if neither improve Tech may be in a world of hurt next year.

Salfrog

Tier 1
If Tech is worried about possibly losing Gibbs, then they have their answer for their next HC. Let KK go next year, then hire Gibbs as HC, problem solved. They save money, and continue to play better defense.

froggrad08

Dakota Allen is coming back. That helps their defense a ton. Good thing we don’t have to see Keke Coutee again. He declared for draft.

TX_Krötenechse

If Tech is worried about possibly losing Gibbs, then they have their answer for their next HC. Let KK go next year, then hire Gibbs as HC, problem solved. They save money, and continue to play better defense.
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that’s what happens after next year, assuming the defense performs.

asleep003

Have not read all 3 thread pages...
But to see the Techster's future, one must look at their past.

Out of the 17 commits, only 3 are defensive recruits.
Only 12 signed early .... just one defensive signee ....
Of the 5 unsigned commits, 2 defensive and a 4* WR....

So, the prediction should be considered... more of the same.

jack the frog

Have not read all 3 thread pages...
But to see the Techster's future, one must look at their past.

Out of the 17 commits, only 3 are defensive recruits.
Only 12 signed early .... just one defensive signee ....
Of the 5 unsigned commits, 2 defensive and a 4* WR....

So, the prediction should be considered... more of the same.

I suppose money speaks more than anything but you might have thought Gibbs would have required some emphasis and input on D as an employment condition. That single item might determine his future income more than anything else. I know they lost a lot of catches but 6 of 17 commits are WR.

Last edited:

Waccy Frog

So to be clear, there is absolutely no evidence that this reporter was involved in this sting, but because he reported things you don't like, you are spreading the false rumor that he was involved "and hasn't denied it." And this is funny and acceptable to you because it's like "Craig James."

If I owned this site I'd delete the post and ban you.

rifram09

So to be clear, there is absolutely no evidence that this reporter was involved in this sting, but because he reported things you don't like, you are spreading the false rumor that he was involved "and hasn't denied it." And this is funny and acceptable to you because it's like "Craig James."

If I owned this site I'd delete the post and ban you.

Well to be fair, there is no evidence Craig James killed five hookers while at SMU. But Craig James never denied killing five hookers while at SMU, at least not until his botched Senate campaign. And people lie during campaigns all the time, so there remains a shroud of mystery and mourning around the five hookers Craig James allegedly killed at SMU.

Also, lighten up.

froginaustin

Hance is still a turncoat Democrat. He hit a glass ceiling in elective politics as a Democrat so he changed parties and found a glass ceiling as a Republican, too.