• The KillerFrogs

Texas Fan on Game Day Experience (after Saturday night)

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
ear-plugs.jpg

bronco

For the most part I’m in agreement that the overall experience isn’t that great. I’m in the camp Riggs in that I’m here for the game and not the ancillary stuff. I’m a guy who comes to watch the actual game and not into the things that can sometimes get in the way.
I agree and that is why I wish they would get rid of about half of the ancillary stuff. During commercials and reviews is ok but not between every play.

YA

Half of you guy should stop attending TCU games as this isn't a high school game being played but big time college athletics. That ship has sailed on 1980's style game environments that has the bands playing and nothing else besides Atari style graphics showing a coca cola ad.

And to the poster who said ut had a decent game experience that is different than ours is being funny. ut runs ads and music just like us, except their video board is much larger. In fact, if that poster actually sat in the TCU sections, the video board is just as obnoxious as ours on a bigger scale.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Half of you guy should stop attending TCU games as this isn't a high school game being played but big time college athletics. That ship has sailed on 1980's style game environments that has the bands playing and nothing else besides Atari style graphics showing a coca cola ad.

And to the poster who said ut had a decent game experience that is different than ours is being funny. ut runs ads and music just like us, except their video board is much larger. In fact, if that poster actually sat in the TCU sections, the video board is just as obnoxious as ours on a bigger scale.

At the 2007 game, the video board was brand new. After the game, the UT band began playing "Eyes..." About 4 notes in, the video board began a Coke commercial at top volume and ran it over the band. Many of the UT types were aghast and angry at this. I doubt matters have improved...

SwissArmyFrog

Flame away, but I find much of our in-game experience to be a complete beatdown. When play has stopped, there is an almost constant barrage of...

Agree. For me, it's not so much what is done during breaks in the game (Showgirls, Kiss Cam, etc...), it's just the almost constant loudness. Loud can be very good, but when it like that so much of the time over the 3+ hours, personally, it gets tiresome. I don't need the overload, so just try to tune it out and enjoy the game.

Frog DJ

I had a friend in town from Austin and he loved the game day experience. He thought the music we played was cool, he loved the showgirls, and said the stadium had a great atmosphere. But this guy was not 60 years old so... there's that.
I'm 69 years old, and I've had TCU season tickets since the 60s.

I enjoy the game-day experience at ACS, but as stated earlier - winning is my top concern.

All else pales in comparison to that...

Go Frogs!

BigDubya2012

I'm 69 years old, and I've had TCU season tickets since the 60s.

I enjoy the game-day experience at ACS, but as stated earlier - winning is my top concern.

All else pales in comparison to that...

Go Frogs!
Agreed. Winning cures many "ailments" (or perceived ailments)

Young and Horned

Obviously the Texas fans weren't happy late Saturday night, but here's one man's comment about the "game day experience," a subject they talk a lot about on one of their forums:

The in game experience for the fan is moving toward Cirque Solais (or whatever that Vegas show is) and it is loud, cheap, flashy, & after 30 seconds of it is totally boring. Not to mention, literally deafening.

Yes, I am old, but so what. I miss the college experience, the band, the cheers, energy that came from the stands not the barrage of noise and chaos constantly blasting at the fans from the scoreboard, PA system, and now the cheap carny acts performed on the field during the fricking time outs etc.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with the notion that I would prefer a loud cheering crowd with the band playing over piping in music any day. However, there are lulls in the game that need to be filled.

I also agree that sometimes they do go overboard with the music because I feel like they need it to help make the place louder (always seems like the music is more frequent and louder towards the end of close games when the opponent has the ball). However, for the most part, I do like the music.

All of that said, I don't really care if they change it or not. I am not going to sit here and blast marketing and game day operations for it. I think they have a great thing going currently.

It is funny how much the music has changed. When Morrison was here, he did not want rap or hip hop music as he wanted it as family friendly as possible.

Brog

Kinda surprised by all the negative comments. I love the gameday experience at The Carter.

I'm of the mind that the blaring hip-hop music during the timeouts is probably intended to keep the players hyped up. Also, it's clear at the games that it's the students keeping the crowd energy up during the games, and they eat that stuff up. Have y'all not seen all the people dancing on the video board during time outs?

I've always wondered about that "intended to keep the players hyped up" reason for "blaring hip-hop music". If it keeps OUR players hyped up, doesn't it keep THEIR players hyped up also?

Jet Set Frog

I've always wondered about that "intended to keep the players hyped up" reason for "blaring hip-hop music". If it keeps OUR players hyped up, doesn't it keep THEIR players hyped up also?

No.....That's like saying our fans cheering at a home game will hype their players up.