• The KillerFrogs

Texas Fan on Game Day Experience (after Saturday night)

BigDubya2012

In regards to the stadium experience and the music debate, I don't really mind the piped music. Yes, I am of the younger generation and yes, every other school does it too, so I don't think that makes us stand out negatively in comparison. I sit with my folks in the north endzone and it is a bit loud, to the point where they and several people around us are wearing earplugs during the game. In addition to turning it down a tad, I also wish the piped music was scaled back and the TCU band was allowed to play more.

Side rant: IMO TCU's band needs to catch up to the rest of the Big 12. Our band is by far the most boring and tame in the conference, and I'm not sure you would even hear them if the piped music was off and they weren't mic'd up. Not attacking the effort of the band members, bc I know a lot of time and effort is put into preparing for a good performance, but when UT, Tech, and (sigh) Baylor's band perform at AGC, TCU gets blown out of the water. It may not be fair to compare our band to UT's, based on their size, but it's a noticeably better performance. *HS band nerd rant over*

As far as the UT fan's opinion of AGC's experience, it sounds like a bunch of sour (purple) grapes. Go Frogs and Beat OU!

frognutz

Flame away, but I find much of our in-game experience to be a complete beatdown. When play has stopped, there is an almost constant barrage of advertisementts, of "fans, direct your attention to the south endzone".... "fans, direct your attention to the north endzone"... "fans, it's time for the kiss cam." Music is played through the loudspeaker often while the band is playing (or maybe the band is playing over the loudspeaker, but either way you get the same result). At times the energy gets sucked out of the stadium because they'll start the barrage while fans are already making noise. It kills the flow, momentum, etc. of the crowd.

Rant over. I don't complain about it, as I assume those responsible have put much thought into balancing the overall fan experience, advertising $$$, etc. I get that there are necessary evils in supporting a robust athletic budget. But it doesn't make it any less of a beatdown.

Come on. Who doesn't love the kiss cam?

Deep Purple

Flame away, but I find much of our in-game experience to be a complete beatdown. When play has stopped, there is an almost constant barrage of advertisementts, of "fans, direct your attention to the south endzone".... "fans, direct your attention to the north endzone"... "fans, it's time for the kiss cam." Music is played through the loudspeaker often while the band is playing (or maybe the band is playing over the loudspeaker, but either way you get the same result).
I'd much rather hear all that stuff than listen to the UT band blaring or hear the UT fans get one of their group cheers going.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Flame away, but I find much of our in-game experience to be a complete beatdown. When play has stopped, there is an almost constant barrage of advertisementts, of "fans, direct your attention to the south endzone".... "fans, direct your attention to the north endzone"... "fans, it's time for the kiss cam." Music is played through the loudspeaker often while the band is playing (or maybe the band is playing over the loudspeaker, but either way you get the same result). At times the energy gets sucked out of the stadium because they'll start the barrage while fans are already making noise. It kills the flow, momentum, etc. of the crowd.

Rant over. I don't complain about it, as I assume those responsible have put much thought into balancing the overall fan experience, advertising $$$, etc . I get that there are necessary evils in supporting a robust athletic budget. But it doesn't make it any less of a beatdown.
Having watched TCU games since the mid 1950's, I can say that our in game experience is light years away from where it used to be and its far superior to our efforts of years gone by

It is a bit garish at times? You bet but we keep trying to improve it and to me thats what matters the most.

I'll take the circus or whatever they offer, every time.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Walken-Cowbell.jpg

You know what this gameday experience needs?

More Showgirls!

C9AqDMeUwAA_TA7.jpg

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
If I could, I would take an axe to those damned speakers. I hatey-hate-hate the volume, selections and never ending blaring of that damned so-called music. It is a blessed relief when there is actually a football play, because for those few seconds, they turn it off...

On a positive note: HYPNOTOAD! It worked!

HG73

They have so much time to fill, what with the constant stoppages of play for TV advertising. Then there is replay. These ruin the flow of the game and make it much longer than it was meant to be. Then they fill that time with ear splitting rap music and silly crowd shots. I do like the end zone awards presentations, that's a feel good moment for the fans and recipients alike. I pine for the days of the three hour football game.

TCURiggs

I've said it in the million other threads that complain about our gameday experience, but it always blows my mind how many people actually pay attention to every little detail outside of the actual football game. I guess I'm just too busy talking to my wife/kids/friends/those around me, or something, but I hardly ever recall anything outside of who the "give em hell TCU" guest is, and certain things on the video board. I'm sure I notice most things at the time, but I guess I don't give enough of a darn about most of that to remember it.

I do hate the Go-Frogs guy, though.

frogs9497

I've said it in the million other threads that complain about our gameday experience, but it always blows my mind how many people actually pay attention to every little detail outside of the actual football game. I guess I'm just too busy talking to my wife/kids/friends/those around me, or something, but I hardly ever recall anything outside of who the "give em hell TCU" guest is, and certain things on the video board. I'm sure I notice most things at the time, but I guess I don't give enough of a darn about most of that to remember it.

Admit it Riggs, the alcohol is helping.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I would love to talk to those around me at games. Sadly, those attempts at conversation generally end up as "What?" "Huh?" "I can't hear you over the crap!" Maddening...

I remember much of the games, individual plays and such. Concentration, however, is difficult when being thwacked upside the haid with the sonic equivalent of a 2x4.

Pardon me whilst I go outside and menacingly growl at the neighborhood kids to get off my lawn...

Ron Swanson

Took the words out of my mouth. I don’t notice hardly anything, but do hate the Go Frogs guy.

Most people like to complain, I’ve learned that over the years.

For the most part I’m in agreement that the overall experience isn’t that great. I’m in the camp Riggs in that I’m here for the game and not the ancillary stuff. I’m a guy who comes to watch the actual game and not into the things that can sometimes get in the way.

WhatTheFrog

Walken-Cowbell.jpg

You know what this gameday experience needs?

More Showgirls!

C9AqDMeUwAA_TA7.jpg

Amen, brother!

As TCURiggs pointed out, I try to spend most of that time talking to people around me and I mostly tune the rap/hip-hop/trendy crap out. Sometimes, I'm left there to let my wife enjoy shaking her money-maker around (I'm paid in full, btw).

I participate in the "Riff Ram Bah Zoo" and any TCU-specific chants. Other than that, I pretty much tune out all of the noise (or try to).

The "Go!" "Frogs!" thing at the beginning of the game I try to get into, but it goes too long for me.

What was this thread about, anyway?

Jet Set Frog

Kinda surprised by all the negative comments. I love the gameday experience at The Carter.

I'm of the mind that the blaring hip-hop music during the timeouts is probably intended to keep the players hyped up. Also, it's clear at the games that it's the students keeping the crowd energy up during the games, and they eat that stuff up. Have y'all not seen all the people dancing on the video board during time outs?

JurisFrog

People pick on every detail because every detail is shoved fully into our psyche. It is inescapable.

I too don't like the presentation at TCU but I get why we do it. And for what we are doing, we are doing it well.

However I must admit, in the last two years of attending the UT games in Austin at Thanksgiving, I have been a bit surprised that their game presentation is more tame than ours. Not nearly as much rap and techno. More band. Seems more old school. More like how I remember the games while
in the SWC (except in this version we win!). Admit they do have a lot of ads but those decreased from year 1 to year 2 of my attendance.

H0RNEDFR0G

I had a friend in town from Austin and he loved the game day experience. He thought the music we played was cool, he loved the showgirls, and said the stadium had a great atmosphere. But this guy was not 60 years old so... there's that.