• The KillerFrogs

TCU Tennis

TCURiggs

Never even really thought about tennis until Jared (and Jake) started all of the talk on this board. Still haven't been to a match but I've really enjoyed following it from afar, recently. Thanks for the updates, guys. I feel like y'all are making some tennis fans here.

Suck it, Baylor!

Purp

Never even really thought about tennis until Jared (and Jake) started all of the talk on this board. Still haven't been to a match but I've really enjoyed following it from afar, recently. Thanks for the updates, guys. I feel like y'all are making some tennis fans here.

Suck it, Baylor!
You should go Saturday. It's a good time. We went a couple times last year. We'd go this weekend, but we'll be at a wedding in the hill country. Saturday could be a great day for sportsing.

BearlyAFrog

Yep. Totally changed things

Interesting take. The exact same thing could be said for Norries match early in the third. You've got deuce after split sets and both players cheering because they think they've won the point then it goes TCU's way. Wheels fell off for Benitez after that.
To me, it was the doubles point that sealed it up. You had 4 of 6 singles split sets with some home team pushes. If BU wins the doubles then I think they split singles (Cam wins of course). Different outcome. All in all, good match and another Big 12 ring for the frogs.

Pharm Frog

Suck it, Baylor!

Agreed. Haven't been to a live match either but following it online has to feel of one of those team golf events like the Ryder Cup or President's Cup. Things can be looking really good one minute and completely flip within the next five minutes. So many moving parts. I did enjoy getting to switch cameras from court to court based on what I saw happening on the live scoreboard (which wasn't exactly live).

You know its getting bad when Mrs Pharm wanders into the office and says, "I didn't know TCU was playing tonight." thinking it was a baseball game I was watching. When I told her I was following the Frog tennis matches, she says, (and I quote) "Oh hell no." Then commenced a "discussion" about how she understood and accepted the football and baseball infatuations and was okay with the excitement of the basketball season which was a new experience but not to expect to add another sport "to blog about with all my online friends". And note that its after 11:30pm and I'm still in the office "blogging with all my online friends." Have an idea I'll be here a while.

TCURiggs

Interesting take. The exact same thing could be said for Norries match early in the third. You've got deuce after split sets and both players cheering because they think they've won the point then it goes TCU's way. Wheels fell off for Benitez after that.
To me, it was the doubles point that sealed it up. You had 4 of 6 singles split sets with some home team pushes. If BU wins the doubles then I think they split singles (Cam wins of course). Different outcome. All in all, good match and another Big 12 ring for the frogs.

Thanks for typing internet-words that I won't read, but suck it. Suck it so much.

G'night.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
You know its getting bad when Mrs Pharm wanders into the office and says, "I didn't know TCU was playing tonight." thinking it was a baseball game I was watching. When I told her I was following the Frog tennis matches, she says, (and I quote) "Oh hell no." Then commenced a "discussion" about how she understood and accepted the football and baseball infatuations and was okay with the excitement of the basketball season which was a new experience but not to expect to add another sport "to blog about with all my online friends". And note that its after 11:30pm and I'm still in the office "blogging with all my online friends." Have an idea I'll be here a while.

Did Mrs. Pharm go to Baylor by any chance? Sounds like there is a counseling session in your future.

Jared7

Agreed. TCU has now won 16 out of 20 doubles points this year - that has been the key to the season. We then rely on Cam, Rybo and one other guy (it changes regularly) and then we win 4. Cam and Alex have only lost one match each in singles all year and if they hadn't taken the fall off, they'd both be ranked much higher (in the ITA rankings) than they are. Cam is the highest ranked college player in the ATP rankings by far and Alex's game has improved vastly this Spring. And getting Trevor Johnson back from injury just at the right time has been tremendously helpful. To me, when Baylor moved Tchoutakian down from his usual #2 spot to #3, that more or less conceded the match to Rybakov. But if we hadn't have won the doubles point, the entire match would have been much closer.

TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State and Texas are all VERY good teams - all have good chances in the NCAA's, but Wake Forest, Ohio State and Virginia loom. I live in Chicago and I'm gonna go see Northwestern v. Ohio State on Friday night to see Torpegaard (who is Cam's biggest competition for the singles title). Best of luck to Baylor - the Bears have 8 Big12 championships to TCU's 2, but in % terms, 8 out of 21 is less than 2 out of 5.

Jared7

]
TCU fans should be tennis fans because we've been at the elite level of college tennis for over 40 years (virtually every year), almost always finishing in the Top 25 and usually in the Top 10. Most of the credit belongs to Tut Bartzen and the players during his era, but Coach Roditi appears to building just as successful of a program. Cam Norrie (two-time All-American) is possibly the best player in college right now and Alex Rybakov (last year's national rookie of the year) is not far behind. In the college tennis world, TCU is highly regarded and extremely well known. We've led the nation in attendance for four consecutive years (I think Georgia's gonna beat us this year because of our slow start); we have the only coach who also captains a Davis Cup team, we're the only team to have two Davis Cup players; we have some of the best and most scenic facilities in the country. Frog fans should be familiar with all this.

Reptilian

Great win.

I've been to a number of matches and always wonder how they determine attendance. No tickets, no turnstiles, no person at the entrance with a clicker... Anyone know?

jake102

Yeah no doubt. I wish the no-ad deuce point would go away, at least during the NCAA tournament. Too often a few deuce points can completely skew things.