• The KillerFrogs

TCU Tennis

Jared7

Speaking of tennis. Nadal just annihilated Thiem in the French. Man if he wins 10 french opens....just ridiculous. Final with Wawa up next who won a ridiculously draining 5 setter against Murray.
On clay, if healthy, Rafa is the best. But if Cam can worm his way into Wimbledon, I'm hoping that the decade-long reign of Fed, Rafa, Joker and Andy will come to an end.

Last edited:

Purp

Speaking of tennis. Nadal just annihilated Thiem in the French. Man if he wins 10 french opens....just ridiculous. Final with Wawa up next who won a ridiculously draining 5 setter against Murray.

Nadal 18-0 in sets this tournament.
He's lost less than 30 games in those 18 sets. Just bonkers. You don't make a final in a slam that easily. He's the best ever on clay.

Last edited:

cdsfrog

Not only is he the best. By far better than #2.

Bjorn Borg may be the only man better to dominate on a single surface. He lost only 27 games up to the final. If Nadal doesn't win this I will be so impressed with Wawa. He's healthy and had a very relaxed path to the finals. Nadal is primed to win but Wawa plays his best in finals. He best Nadal on the Australian open a few years back however Nadal was hurt.

Really like Wawa but rooting for Nadal. 10 is just ridiculous

Last edited:

tcuseagull

The British papers are all touting Cam's chances to get a wildcard into Wimbledon - his win over ATP #71 Jaziri was his highest ranked pro win ever and his #248 ranking will surely rise. As a local Brit making some noise, he's got a chance although there's no real way to predict it.

I know a player from the Rice team who is friends with Norrie, and he told me Norrie was getting a wildcard into Wimbledon. Can't say if he's definitely correct, but thought I'd share.

Purp

Not only is he the best. By far better than #2.

Bjorn Borg may be the only man better to dominate on a single surface. He lost only 27 games up to the final. If Nadal doesn't win this I will be so impressed with Wawa. He's healthy and had a very relaxed path to the finals. Nadal is primed to win but Wawa plays his best in finals. He best Nadal on the Australian open a few years back however Nadal was hurt.

Really like Wawa but rooting for Nadal. 10 is just ridiculous
Beating Nadal in Aussie isn't the same as beating him on clay. Hurt or not.

jake102

The British papers are all touting Cam's chances to get a wildcard into Wimbledon - his win over ATP #71 Jaziri was his highest ranked pro win ever and his #248 ranking will surely rise. As a local Brit making some noise, he's got a chance although there's no real way to predict it.

Alex Rybakov made All-American status as well as Norrie, Stalder and Lopez - the full lists were released earlier this week. Alex has entered and is in the main draw at both the Buffalo and Rochester Futures tourneys in the next couple of weeks.

Also, the field was selected yesterday for next January's ITA Kickoff. TCU will be hosting and the other attendees were selected by means of a draft where they selected where they wanted to go - we will be hosting Louisville, Duke and San Diego. All are fairly tough teams (especially Duke) so our path to the National Indoors next year may be fairly difficult.

[Edit - Reese Stalder is also in the qualifying draw at the Winston-Salem Futures tourney this week. And both Alex and Reese are entered into the Tulsa Futures tourney in 3 weeks - Alex as a qualifier and Reese as an alternate].
I
Where do you find the info about what tournaments guys have entered?

Jared7

I
Where do you find the info about what tournaments guys have entered?
For Futures tourneys, go to the ITF website (the International Tennis Federation). Click on "tournaments." That'll give you a list of all Futures tourneys in any given month. (There's a LOT of them all over the world). Pick a tournament - for Chappell, Rybo, Nava and Stalder, it's usually the U.S. tourneys (but not always as Rybo and Chappell get around), for Escobar Colombia, for Nunez Chile (although he does U.S. tourneys too), for Gray any European tourney (although he's played all over Asia too). If it's 2-3 weeks in advance, click on "entry list" or "acceptance list." That'll give you a listing of those who are in the main draw, in the qualifying draw or are alternates. It's done by #ATP rating. This is the way all pro tennis players actually enter the tourneys - many "enter" and then subsequently withdraw and the lists change daily. There's also player pages where all activity is listed throughout history. Once the draws are set, upcoming matches will be listed on the players' page - for example, Stalder is playing Yancy Dennis (a South Carolina player) today in Winston-Salem. Then, if you want to follow the match live, go back to the "tournament" page and there's also a "live scoring" link.

For Challenger tourneys, it's different. And if you want to follow Cam, it's a must. You go to the ATP Challenger Tour website page, pick a tournament and similarly click on the "live draw" pages (the tourneys vary on their format, so it's not always the same). For Cam, you can also go to the Brit Tennis website and on their forums, others who have already researched what Cam is up to (he's become very popular in the U.K.) will just tell you and you can skip all the research and just rely on them. You can also go to the Challenger tourney's site and they will also usually have a "draw" link, so like when Cam went to Maui, they will list that sometimes sooner than the other sites will. For example, Cam just finished at Surbiton but is headed next to Nottingham and Manchester (if he doesn't get a Wimbledon qualie wildcard, which according to his many UK fans, seems likely) - just click on the links for those tourneys.

You can also go to the various betting site websites (mostly in the UK where betting on tennis is legal and widespread) and every single match will have its separate page and they follow all matches and tourneys live. I forget the names, but I think there's a "sofascore" and a few others. You just have to google, for example, "Reese Stalder v. Yancy Dennis" and several sites will pop up.

For ATP World events, it's like the Challengers, but it's a different page. So far, no TCU player is at that level, but Ashley Fisher and Esteban Carrill used to be before they retired. Maybe Cam will get there soon. Because he's British, he got wildcards into Surbiton, Nottingham and Manchester - there's no real listing for those, I usually only find out about them by reading the Brit tennis site.

Jared7

I know a player from the Rice team who is friends with Norrie, and he told me Norrie was getting a wildcard into Wimbledon. Can't say if he's definitely correct, but thought I'd share.
That's what I've been reading as well. The Daily Mail article more or less assumed it and the Brit tennis posters have been pretty confident as well. It's only into the qualies though, not the main draw, so he'll have to fight his way into the main draw. Wimbledon has a 128-player main draw and the qualies, I think, are at least that large (or 64 at minimum). He's #ATP 243 as of today, so he's almost there just on ranking. But the fact that he's a Brit is probably the clincher - they just LOVE local players there.

[Edit - Stalder just beat Dennis 6-3, 6-0 and has advanced to the 2nd round of the qualies. Having not played many pro events, making the main draw would be a good result for him. Next up will be former Tarheel Ronnie Schneider who just went full-time pro.]

Last edited:

cdsfrog

What a slaughter. Wawa was done before set 1 ended. He only won 6 games, Jesus.

Nadal further cements clay goat status and adds great discussion for who is 2nd best of all time. Some debate for 1st but personally federer gets that for consistency debate a blemish with no gold medal.

10 French opens, Jesus 2 is impressive. Not sure what adjective works for 10. 10-0 in finals

cdsfrog

Had Nadal beaten Federer when he was up a break in the 5th is the Australian this year he would be the goat right now
That damn close

Federer while a higher number of slams played on the worst era of tennis in probably 60 years before nadal, Djokovic and Murray came along. Still though at his age and what he's doing with that resume goat for Federer.

cdsfrog

Man pro tennis is gonna suck in a couple years. Soon we'll go from. Having the best 3 players ever playing at the same time along with two another a top 10 all time and Murray as well to nothing. Yikes

cdsfrog

Perhaps, although I was using my phone and pushing a stroller while jogging at the same time. All together not the best decision but it was a flat straight area next to the river in Cambridge.

The point is Mens Tennis is a golden era right now and it's going to be so much worse than it was in the early 2000s soon. My guess would be 2-3 years before the nosedive of mens tennis.

Right now we have 3 players ranked 4th or higher all time in grandslams. Soon we will have zero ranked in the top 40

cdsfrog

Nadal is unreal. If he can end his career within two Slams of Fed, I dont think you can call either the GOAT.

Agreed. Had just he held on to the damn break in the 5th set in AO, I would call him the GOAT right now. Its ridiculous how good both are, and amazingly its been 7 years since Federer and Nadal won the first 2 grandslams of the year.

Jared7

Must get tickets to Wimbledon.

If you're in London, do it! It's great fun, especially in the early rounds because you can wander around and catch a lot of matches on the outer courts where you're really close up. For the later rounds, assuming you don't have tickets to Centre Court, get a good seat on Norrie Hill (formerly Henman Hill) and watch it on the jumbotron with a lot of crazed Brits.

Reese Stalder just beat former Tarheel Ronnie Schneider 6-3, 3-6, 7-5 and has advanced to the 3rd round of the qualies at Winston-Salem. He'll face former Bama and UCF player Korey Lovett tomorrow to advance to the main draw (I think).

Last edited:

cdsfrog

If you're in London, do it! It's great fun, especially in the early rounds because you can wander around and catch a lot of matches on the outer courts where you're really close up. For the later rounds, assuming you don't have tickets to Centre Court, get a good seat on Norrie Hill (formerly Henman Hill) and watch it on the jumbotron with a lot of crazed Brits.

Reese Stalder just beat former Tarheel Ronnie Schneider 6-3, 3-6, 7-5 and has advanced to the 3rd round of the qualies at Winston-Salem. He'll face former Bama and UCF player Korey Lovett tomorrow to advance to the main draw (I think).

I went in 2013 when Andy won. I can't camp out for tickets with a two year old but hoping I can snag online tickets.

Jared7

Alastair Gray has started out his summer pro tour at the Futures tourney in Martos, Spain where he started out in the qualies in singles and in the main draw in doubles (with his usual partner Ewan Moore - now a Tulane player). Gray got a bye in the first round and has now won two qualies and has qualified for the main draw - 6-1, 6-4 over Alvaro Blanco Damea and 2-6, 7-5, 6-4 over Santiago Plaza, both Spaniards. His main draw singles and doubles matches will be in the next two days.

Reese Stalder is currently playing UCF player Korey Lovett in Winston-Salem. He won the first set 7-6 in a tiebreak and it's now 2-3 in the 2nd.

Qualies have started at the Buffalo Futures tourney but Alex Rybakov is in the main draw and won't play for a few days.

Cam Norrie received a wild card to play in the Nottingham Challenger and is scheduled to play Kenny De Schepper tomorrow. De Schepper is ATP#147, with a career high of #62, so it'll be a tough match for Cam to win. In doubles, Cam is teaming with Bambo (i.e., Luke Bambridge). Cam is still #243 after Surbiton.