• The KillerFrogs

TCU Tennis

tcumaniac

One of the reasons that the Frogs are such good players is that they're intelligent - on the Big12's All-Academic team, 6 tennis Frogs made the list. On the first team are Reese Stalder, Alex Rybakov and Hudson Blake and on the 2nd team are Trey Daniel, Guillermo Nunez and Cameron Norrie.

And, Cameron Norrie was named the Big12 Player of the Week for the 3rd time this season and the 6th time all-time. He's undefeated in Big12 play this year - all against ranked singles opponents. Just this past week, he beat UT's Christian Sigsgaard and Baylor's Juan Benitez. As the #1 ranked player in the nation, he's virtually a lock to be the Big12's Player of the Year as well as to attain All-American status for the 3rd consecutive year, which will be announced later. And, his February article was re-released today, focusing on his statement that the reason he came back to TCU this season was because he wanted "a chance to win it all." Sadly, he also heavily implied that this is his last year at TCU. So, the last chance to see him play at TCU will be in two weeks when we (expectedly) host an NCAA regional. But first, he's got matches against either OU's Andrew Harris or UT's Sigsgaard in the semis, and, according to the seeds, OSU's Julian Cash in the finals in Norman.

Didn't realize this. I was under the impression I may not be able to see him live anymore!

Jared7

In the semis, OU and UT are currently tied 3-3, and in the deciding match, UT's George Goldhoff and OU's Alex Ghilea are tied 2-2 in the 3rd and deciding set. It'll be an exciting finish in this version of the Red River Rivalry for the right to face the Frogs.

Ghilea closes it out 6-2 and OU upsets Texas and advances to play the Frogs in the semis tomorrow. This is not good for us because OU is hot, there'll be an energized hostile crowd tomorrow in an OU home match, Andrew Harris is back and OU is far better with him at the top of the line-up, and they're fighting for not only the Big12 championship but also for a regional hosting spot. The matches start at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow but I suspect that the OU-TCU match will be the 2nd and featured match (We'll see).

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

In the semis, OU and UT are currently tied 3-3, and in the deciding match, UT's George Goldhoff and OU's Alex Ghilea are tied 2-2 in the 3rd and deciding set. It'll be an exciting finish in this version of the Red River Rivalry for the right to face the Frogs.

Somewhat surprised that Herman wasn't able to steal Ghilea from the Sooners. While I can't stand UT, I am finding the recent football recruiting developments quite humorous. Especially when tweets from UT coaches like the following cause massive Sooner dyspepsia

Pharm Frog

Ghilea closes it out 6-2 and OU upsets Texas and advances to play the Frogs in the semis tomorrow. This is not good for us because OU is hot, there'll be an energized hostile crowd tomorrow in an OU home match, Andrew Harris is back and OU is far better with him at the top of the line-up, and they're fighting for not only the Big12 championship but also for a regional hosting spot. The matches start at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow but I suspect that the OU-TCU match will be the 2nd and featured match (We'll see).

I cannot imagine that it will be well-attended by Sooner fans. Could be wrong but there's an awful lot of "I-don't-give-a-darn" in Norman over things non-football. Most of them won't even be awake.

Jared7

And Tech beats Baylor (again) 4-2 at just about the same time and the Red Raiders advance in the other bracket to face Oklahoma State. I didn't even realize they were playing at the same time, so scratch my earlier comment about the matches being played at different times - both semis will be at at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow. (OU's got 12 courts). There was a good crowd today, and it'll probably be better attended tomorrow as OU advances. After making 2 NCAA finals in the past 3 years, OU has one of the better fanbases in college tennis (albeit not as good as the Frogs).

Only the finals are scheduled to be televised so tomorrow's matches will only be streamed and available on statcast.

MTfrog5

And Tech beats Baylor (again) 4-2 at just about the same time and the Red Raiders advance in the other bracket to face Oklahoma State. I didn't even realize they were playing at the same time, so scratch my earlier comment about the matches being played at different times - both semis will be at at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow. (OU's got 12 courts). There was a good crowd today, and it'll probably be better attended tomorrow as OU advances. After making 2 NCAA finals in the past 3 years, OU has one of the better fanbases in college tennis (albeit not as good as the Frogs).

Only the finals are scheduled to be televised so tomorrow's matches will only be streamed and available on statcast.
Little for Baylor should have yelled "come on" a couple more times to get that W

Jared7

Little for Baylor should have yelled "come on" a couple more times to get that W
My impression of Will Little has gone down in the last few weeks - he's as obnoxious as Lleyton Hewitt used to be, he's a bad line-caller and he seems to want to egg on Baylor fans' bad behavior. Thankfully, we're done (probably) with Baylor for the year. But not with OU or possibly OSU or Tech. I think OSU has been the most consistent Big12 team all year, so I'm for Tech tomorrow, but who really cares as long as the Frogs win.

Jared7

It doesn't matter for seeding or anything, but the latest USTA poll came out and TCU is #5, behind Wake, Virginia, Ohio State and UNC - I'm not sure why the Tarheels aren't even in the Top 10 in the ITA, but all the human experts in the USTA poll have them ranked so high. In the women's tennis poll, the TCU women dropped out of the Top 25 and are 27th.

I'm really concerned about OU tomorrow - with Harris, they are a different team, with W's over Tech, OSU and Texas in succession. And our recent history with them (especially the 2015 NCAA semis) doesn't give me any confidence. I know we swamped them 4-0 a couple of weeks ago in Norman and Coach Roddick isn't there any more, but color me worried. In the other bracket, Tech is fighting for their lives because they literally have to win out even to make the NCAA's. Two big upsets on the first day of the tourney has changed the storyline for the Big12.

HoustonHornedFrog

I cannot imagine that it will be well-attended by Sooner fans. Could be wrong but there's an awful lot of "I-don't-give-a-darn" in Norman over things non-football. Most of them won't even be awake.

Along those lines, back when they played Tech in baseball earlier this year before OU took a dive and were both highly ranked the attendance for the Sunday deciding game of the series in Norman was 951.

Jared7

Jared, do you have any updates on our tennis recruiting? Are we bringing in any future Norrie's or Rybakov's to help us remain competitive at the highest level?
Well, recruiting in tennis is not as covered or involved as it is in football, baseball or basketball because coaches only have 4.5 scholarships available, there is a lot of recruiting of players from outside the U.S., there are a lot of transfers from other schools of players wishing to leave because they're not getting a lot of playing time and that usually doesn't clear up until after the Spring season is over, and, most importantly, Coach Roditi understandably plays things very close to the vest. There are some recruiting sites, but unlike football, they really just publicize the good junior players and don't have much info/speculation about where the players are headed until they actually commit. The recruiting deadline in tennis is early November, so that's when things happen; not now.

Our top recruit last November was Alastair Gray, a top British junior, who currently is ranked #1049 in the ATP rankings. He enrolled this January but is not eligible to play as yet (he was homeschooled in the U.K.) and is effectively redshirting. He was a teenaged hitting partner for Andy Murray at last year's Wimbledon and he's played a bunch of pro tourneys and everyone is very high on his talent. He's been working out with the team all Spring, was in all the team pics for the trophy presentations and has even making fundraising calls for TCU in the last 2 weeks. This Spring, instead of playing for TCU, Alastair played in the Dallas Challenger in January, the Irving Challanger in March (losing in the qualies) and this past month, he played in the Calabasas Futures and Little Rock Futures, where he played 3 qualie matches in each and made the main draw at Little Rock, losing in the first round to Eric Quigley who's ranked ATP#411 (not too far behind Norrie). He'll probably be eligible in the fall; if not then, in January.

Edurado Nava is expected back next year after recovering from his hamstring injury. Felipe Escobar is also expected back - we didn't see as much of him this Spring as I thought we would. In addition, Rybakov, Nunez, Johnson, Stalder and Mancini are also expected back and Norrie technically hasn't left yet. And Scotty Martinson, who was elevated from the club team last fall, is also presumably still available. Lopez, Daniel and Blake are listed as seniors - I don't think they have any eligibility left, but Lopez was a transfer from Kentucky and I'm not totally sure that he doesn't have time left and Blake and Daniel didn't play much this year and I'm not totally sure what the redshirt rules are. So, basically, there isn't much room left for anyone. My guess is that Roditi probably has 1-2 players in mind; either transfers or new recruits, from the U.S. or elsewhere - he's got a lot of contacts worldwide and with every result from everywhere being available on-line, he can do a lot of the research from his computer. For the next few weeks, he'll be fairly busy - after that, he'll concentrate on it and we'll learn more this fall. Maybe Jake knows more.

TCUdirtbag

Confidence is low. Andrew Harris really transforms the whole Sooner line-up.

I don't understand why our confidence is low. We've been hot for weeks. We should be very confident.

All 6 singles matches are in the first set. Norrie and Rybakov have serious challengers on 1 and 2.

TCUdirtbag

Norrie wins set one on C1 (6-4)
Rybakov wins set one on C2 (7-5)
Stalker wins set one on C6 (6-1)

Nunez drops set one on C3 (5-7)
Lopez drops set one on C4 (4-6)
Johnson drops set one at C5 (4-6)