• The KillerFrogs

TCU Student Dies

smredd

coming upon my 6th year at TCU, undergrad and grad, more and more sad news comes out such as this. Hopefully the suicides will stop. I believe this is the 4th for TCU in the past 18 months. Very Very sad.

DannyAdelante

Freaking hell. I know who that is. I didn't know her personally but she was friends with everyone I used to hang out with in Fort Worth when I lived there last year - most of whom are from Southlake. Very shocking news. Thoughts are obviously with her family and friends right now.

froginaustin

An ugly side of increasing academic competition and rising standards is increasing stress on students striving to compete. God bless Ms. Walcott and her family.

angelo's frog

I've known more people than I care to discuss who have taken a similar permanent solution to a temporary problem including a high school friend of mine who swallowed a shotgun over a break up with girl friend about a month after graduation. I also knew a another girl who took her own life the day before 9/11. I often think of those two and others and imagine what if they hadn't taken such an irreversible action. The high school friend would likely have eventually met someone who loved him as much as he loved her, married, had kids and grown old, fat and happy like me. The girl who killed herself on 9/10/01 would've realized her money and boyfriend problems weren't all that significant in comparison with the true sorrow and loss so many people suffered on 9/11. I also think of both of their parents and the hole in their heart that they probably carry with them till this day because of the selfish act of suicide. I pray for Ms. Walcott and her family and friends.

AUFrog

a tad presumptuous...
Who knows the circumstances but there was a news report in Denver this week that more people per year in CO die of suicide than from murders and car wrecks combined. No idea if this is unique to CO but that would seem like a large # of suicides. Also, I have no idea what the trends are, but I can imagine there being a lot more pressure and stress on college students today than there was even in the mid-to-late 90s due to social media. When I made a mistake, it was usually known by me, maybe my parents and a few friends. E-mail changed that some but now FB, Myspace, etc. =s fewer truly private matters.

Whatever the cause, I hope her family and loved ones can find peace. Prayers go out to them.

swimmerbabe11

Another one? geez. I knew her too. Not well, but I saw her at parties every now and then.

I don't get it. So tragic. My prayers go out to her family, roommates and all the friends who have been hurt by this.

2314@work

Contributor
Completely ignorant statement. My thoughts and prayers with Hailey's family.
Why do you think his was an ignorant statement? More than likely this will be the case.
Would it make you feel better if he posted that she died from a heroin overdose? Before you say that is over the top check Plano. Southlake certainly fits in the same category.
That said, whatever the reason, this is tragic. Girl had everything going for her. This may be a societal problem, but chances are we will never know the truth.

maximilian

I looked at her Facebook. She's a typical TCU girl. Absolutely gorgeous. Looked so happy. It makes no sense. So so sad.

It makes perfect sense if she suffered from depression. Looking happy in pictures on facebook has nothing to do with it.

Thoughts with her family/friends.

michaelperrytcu

Why do you think his was an ignorant statement? More than likely this will be the case.
Would it make you feel better if he posted that she died from a heroin overdose? Before you say that is over the top check Plano. Southlake certainly fits in the same category.
That said, whatever the reason, this is tragic. Girl had everything going for her. This may be a societal problem, but chances are we will never know the truth.

More than likely that will be the case??? So, you're telling me that more than likely she killed herself because she was stressed because classes were hard and her GPA wasn't as high as her classmates because TCU's admissions standards are getting higher and she's trying to compete? You're an idiot if you think you can speculate what "most likely" made her do this.

smredd

Whatever your opinion on her justification to do this, just keep it to yourself. This is a tragic moment for friends, family members and the TCU community. I knew of her, saw her around and have friends that were close to her and they say no one saw it coming (which apparently was said about the past suicides at TCU). Therefore, we won't know unless a note surfaces or someone speaks up. Grow a pair and say a prayer and argue about something else.