• The KillerFrogs

TCU hurry up Offense Issue

Anyone else notice that when we ran our up tempo offense we kept substituting players? Then the refs kept stopping us from snapping until Arky could sub their player. Why can't we keep our players on the field and keep running plays that beat the defense and players they have on the field? We get defense on heals and stop our momentum. Flame away or agree? Add your own opinions.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Watching the game, the announcers referred to the fact that Bielema would sub his nose guard each time we substituted. Thus, he had time to decide any other changes and set formations while the big guy waddled out into position.

We can easily fix this by simply not substituting. However, it is early in the year, and I imagine they are evaluating players in game situations. No way to do that other than by subbing in a lot of guys.

Dogfrog

Was thinking the same thing on our first touchdown. KH loses his helmet so we substitute in the wildcat package with Sewo. We stand there for what seemed like a couple minutes while Ark kept substituting. Then, Sewo just glides into the end zone untouched. So haven't seen a problem yet.

06DallasFrog

Probably giving someone too much credit here, but maybe we were waiting for them to have the personnel in that we wanted to take advantage of before we decided to make them stay on the field...

W

Way of the Frog

Anyone else notice that when we ran our up tempo offense we kept substituting players? Then the refs kept stopping us from snapping until Arky could sub their player. Why can't we keep our players on the field and keep running plays that beat the defense and players they have on the field? We get defense on heals and stop our momentum. Flame away or agree? Add your own opinions.

Exactly when did Arkansas stop our momentum?

After Cumbie decided the pound the round for the second score the only time we had trouble moving the ball is when for some unknown reason we started the next drive in 5-wides.

In the third quarter they sure as heck didn't stop the offense doing what you described in the game.

ThisIsOurTime

OP, coaches probably value rotating players more in the hopes of keeping them fresher in the 4th or OT than what you see as a major benefit. It may also be advantageous over the course of the season to rotate players especially in our conference where a lot of teams also do hurry up. This probably helps our defense prepare for games by the coaches doing this in practice. And maybe there is also a small benefit in recruiting when you can point to more younger players getting plays to prospective recruits.

This all being said, I could see them at some point late in a game doing exactly what you suggest. If your players are fresher at that point, it would probably have an even greater impact.

I thought it was a NCAA rule that offense will not be allowed to snap the ball until the play clock reaches 29 seconds or less to allow defensive substitutions. This was proposed and activated because Beliema and like minded coaches demanded time to substitute against these fast pace offenses.

Last edited:

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
I thought it was a NCAA rule that offense will not be allowed to snap the ball until the play clock reaches 29 seconds or less to allow defensive substitutions. This was proposed and activated because Beliema and like minded coaches demanded time to substitute against thesee fast pace offenses.
But the defense doesn't get to sub if the offense doesn't sub.

Pharm Frog

Was thinking the same thing on our first touchdown. KH loses his helmet so we substitute in the wildcat package with Sewo. We stand there for what seemed like a couple minutes while Ark kept substituting. Then, Sewo just glides into the end zone untouched. So haven't seen a problem yet.

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet so SIAP but the radio broadcast indicated that GP was trying to get a timeout called but SC yelled back at him that "We have the right play."

Pharm Frog

But the defense doesn't get to sub if the offense doesn't sub.

Technically they can but they can also get caught with too many or too few players on the field if they try it. What I don't understand is if I'm on defense and the offense subs with 112-15 seconds left on the clock why wouldn't you take the opportunity to methodically sub a DT which would likely force a delay of game or a timeout. This happens three or four times a game.

f_399

At the luncheon Cumbie said it was the plan anyway to come out in the wildcat whether Hill lost his helmet or not. It worked out.

That maybe just be coach speak but he did say he has more plans with the wildcat formation.

He also loved the last wildcat play at the end. He said it pretty much told Arkansas what they were going to do and they still could not defend it.

Last edited:

Horny4TCU

I doubt our game plan will be hurry up against the ponies. Their offense, better than it has been in the past, can score on us. If we just pound the ball, own the line of scrimmage, and keep it out of their hands we will win. We won't put up a 50+ point lead, but we will never be out of our comfort zone.