• The KillerFrogs

TCU Golf

JogginFrog

It came down to money. There was an opportunity that made a lot of sense but TCU did not want to put the resources necessary towards it. This was within the last year.

To be fair it was not cheap and I am not sure it would make sense from a financial perspective but everything else was a good fit.

I guess I'm glad to hear that opportunities are being considered. Can't imagine a case where a meaningful move would be cheap--It will take a major investment to put golf on a near-equal footing with top programs. For a non-revenue sport, a major donor would need to step up when an opportunity presented itself.

Do you know if the opportunity was brought to TCU, or did TCU initiate?

First Tee Frog

I guess I'm glad to hear that opportunities are being considered. Can't imagine a case where a meaningful move would be cheap--It will take a major investment to put golf on a near-equal footing with top programs. For a non-revenue sport, a major donor would need to step up when an opportunity presented itself.

Do you know if the opportunity was brought to TCU, or did TCU initiate?

Major donor initiated the conversation when they recognized the possibility.

The building itself is pretty large and maybe it would be overkill to take that on just for TCU golf but combined with Leonard's it would be a pretty awesome facility. Up until recently, I didn't realize that we had fallen so far behind in golf facilities and technology but some of the things mentioned here have been eye-opening. Just my personal opinion but I wish we would dedicate resources to sports a larger segment of people can relate to like golf and a women's softball team and drop stuff like equestrian and rifle that almost no one cares about.

JogginFrog

J.J. Henry is T5 halfway through the John Deere Classic. He's at -9, four shots back.
Angela Stanford is T14 after 2 rounds at the U.S. Women's Open, looking for Solheim Cup points. She's six back.

Plus, a Catherine Matranga sighting! She finished T24 at the Texas Women's Open, which finished today.

First Tee Frog

J.J. Henry is T5 halfway through the John Deere Classic. He's at -9, four shots back.
Angela Stanford is T14 after 2 rounds at the U.S. Women's Open, looking for Solheim Cup points. She's six back.

Plus, a Catherine Matranga sighting! She finished T24 at the Texas Women's Open, which finished today.

Catherine is new women's golf coach at UTA. This coming year is the first year of the program.

JogginFrog

Thanks to Top for posting the GoFrogs story about Annika Clark winning medalist and Brooke McDougald finishing T5 in the qualifying portion of the Texas Women's Amateur. Both advance to match-play championship round of 32.

Story with quotes from Annika here: http://www.txga.org/Annika-Clark-Wins-Medalist-Hono.news

The txga.org site also has scoring for today's rounds. Annika off at 8 this a.m. vs. Ashni Dhruva. Brooke is on the other side of the bracket and tees off at 9:52 vs. Julie Lucio.

Edit: Clark routs Dhruva 8 & 6
Edit: McDougald also wins big, 6 & 5

Round-of-16 matches are this afternoon.

Last edited:

First Tee Frog

Thanks to Top for posting the GoFrogs story about Annika Clark winning medalist and Brooke McDougald finishing T5 in the qualifying portion of the Texas Women's Amateur. Both advance to match-play championship round of 32.

Story with quotes from Annika here: http://www.txga.org/Annika-Clark-Wins-Medalist-Hono.news

The txga.org site also has scoring for today's rounds. Annika off at 8 this a.m. vs. Ashni Dhruva. Brooke is on the other side of the bracket and tees off at 9:52 vs. Julie Lucio.

Edit: Clark routs Dhruva 8 & 6

Annika won this event 2 years ago. She is very good at match play. So proud of Brooke and how far she has come over the last year with her game. Would love to see her step and go deep in this thing.

JogginFrog

Annika won this event 2 years ago. She is very good at match play. So proud of Brooke and how far she has come over the last year with her game. Would love to see her step and go deep in this thing.

Annika's afternoon opponent, Julie Houston, knocked her out of last year's Texas Women's Am, so will be interesting to see how that match goes.

Wexahu

Remember that the role of rifle is not to have a sport that people can relate to, but have a sport that can be solely female, be fairly cheap, and help meet the Title IX scholarship requirements for the athletic department. Del Conte has said he is open to starting a women's soft ball program as soon as people start sending in checks. Until then we will see the school pursue cheaper options such as rifle and beach volleyball.

That's gotta make the Rifle team members feel good about their contribution to the athletic dept. Hey, nobody cares about what we do but we're all women, we're cheap, and we count toward scholarship totals!

How much does the rifle team practice every day? Do they just shoot their guns? Do they have workouts and like run and that sort of stuff to stay in shape? And if so, why? Where does the coach go to recruit? Shooting ranges? NRA conventions? Rifle team Head Coach seems like it'd be about the most low-stress coaching gig around.

PO Frog

That's gotta make the Rifle team members feel good about their contribution to the athletic dept. Hey, nobody cares about what we do but we're all women, we're cheap, and we count toward scholarship totals!

How much does the rifle team practice every day? Do they just shoot their guns? Do they have workouts and like run and that sort of stuff to stay in shape? And if so, why? Where does the coach go to recruit? Shooting ranges? NRA conventions? Rifle team Head Coach seems like it'd be about the most low-stress coaching gig around.
They must do something right considering they are one of our most recent national champions...

Wexahu

They must do something right considering they are one of our most recent national champions...

According to Wikipedia there are 23 Division 1 rifle programs, five of who are Army, Navy, Air Force, VMI, and the Citadel. You'd think those service academies and military schools have to a little embarrassed when TCU beats them at Rifle.

JogginFrog

It would seem to me if I had a young daughter who I wanted to go to TCU I might want to buy her a rifle and teach her to shoot.

I floated the idea of taking up shooting to my daughters (Olympic Training Center here in Colorado Springs has a world-class facility and coaches); no interest.

Now, back to golf!

Annika Clark advances to the quarterfinals with a 3&2 win over Julie Houston. Brooke McDougald falls, 6&5, to 11-seed Amber Park.

EUROFROG

I floated the idea of taking up shooting to my daughters (Olympic Training Center here in Colorado Springs......

Now, back to golf!

Annika Clark advances to the quarterfinals with a 3&2 win over Julie Houston. Brooke McDougald falls, 6&5, to 11-seed Amber Park.

Colorado Springs? I just spent two days golfing at the Air Force Academy. Great courses and super facility.

JogginFrog

Colorado Springs? I just spent two days golfing at the Air Force Academy. Great courses and super facility.

Glad you enjoyed it. Have only played the Blue Course at USAFA once; beautiful and challenging (especially the greens). I found the greens at Eisenhower much harder to read than those at The Broadmoor. If you get back to the area, other courses I recommend trying include Bear Dance in Larkspur and Four Mile Ranch in Canon City. Both have great vistas, memorable holes, good conditioning, good pace of play and are moderately scoreable.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Glad you enjoyed it. Have only played the Blue Course at USAFA once; beautiful and challenging (especially the greens). I found the greens at Eisenhower much harder to read than those at The Broadmoor. If you get back to the area, other courses I recommend trying include Bear Dance in Larkspur and Four Mile Ranch in Canon City. Both have great vistas, memorable holes, good conditioning, good pace of play and are moderately scoreable.
Bear Dance is great.