• The KillerFrogs

TCU Golf

JogginFrog

OK, this news a little old, but recent TCU grad Chelso Barrett has earned conditional status on the Mackenzie Tour (Canada) based on his T24 finish at Q School last month. He'll probably get 2-3 starts this summer and more if he can make the cut in an event.
http://www.sentinelsource.com/sport...cle_b76effa3-d0e4-5c63-873f-50c8f3dec505.html

Barrett finished a shot out of a playoff in the local U.S. Open qualifier at Split Rail. So did 2005 TCU grad J.J. Killeen, who is still out there grinding (was on the Web.com tour last year).

JogginFrog

Michelle Wie's T2 finish last weekend moved her past Angela Stanford into the 8th and final qualifying spot in the U.S. Solheim Cup standings. The powers-that-be will be happy with that--Wie is on form, the biggest draw in women's golf and considered a good teammate.

Also qualifying will be the two highest players in the Rolex Rankings not qualified on Solheim points, but Brittany Lincicome (35th) and Mo Martin (36th) occupy those spots. Angela is 45th.

Will be interesting to see if she can win a spot on the team again. She has a ton of experience in Solheim but not a great record; not sure if she'd get a captain's pick if she doesn't qualify on points/standings.

This week is the Walmart NW Arkansas Championship, where Angela has top-five finishes in two of the past three years, so keep an eye on her this weekend. It's one of the few 54-hole tournaments left on tour; no room for a slow start on Friday.

Other Americans in the mix are Austin Ernst (7th Solheim, 41st Rolex), Danielle Kang (10th/43rd) and Lizette Salas (13th/52nd).

First Tee Frog

An opinion on the golf programs. Angie is doing an awesome job. She had some unfortunate bad luck with a couple "knuckleheads" this year that really hurt the team. They won a very strong tournament in the fall and had moved into the top 25 with a team that was predominantly sophomores. Emmy Martin set the school's single season scoring record this year and is a stud. If her career ended today Annika Clark would have the lowest career scoring average in program history.

The men had a rough year and were somewhat lucky to make a regional. They have a local kid committed for 2019 from Trinity Valley and the kid is a stud. He finished 3rd in the Patrick Reed a few weeks ago. For the most part he has a strong relationship with the French and Italian national coaches and relies on them to send him guys.

Facilities are an issue. Pretty much Everyone has their own facility/course now except for us. Texas, OU, SMU, Tech, OSU, K-state, UNM, Arkansas, LSU, Stanford, Georgia, Baylor, ASU...etc. this is big for recruiting, perception, and development. Looked like we might have something in the works but it appears to have fallen through.

SnoSki

Facilities are an issue. Pretty much Everyone has their own facility/course now except for us. Texas, OU, SMU, Tech, OSU, K-state, UNM, Arkansas, LSU, Stanford, Georgia, Baylor, ASU...etc. this is big for recruiting, perception, and development. Looked like we might have something in the works but it appears to have fallen through.

What's the biggest difference between playing at Colonial/Mira Vista/River Crest/Leonard's during the week and having your own facility? Unfortunately, unless TCU wants to buy a lot of homes to the south of campus, we don't really have any space for a campus course.

JogginFrog

What's the biggest difference between playing at Colonial/Mira Vista/River Crest/Leonard's during the week and having your own facility? Unfortunately, unless TCU wants to buy a lot of homes to the south of campus, we don't really have any space for a campus course.

It's not the proximity to campus, it's the ownership/membership. When you've got your own facility, the college players (and students and faculty/staff) have priority. It's never going to be that way at the courses you mentioned. And it shouldn't be.

It would have taken a broad vision and substantial investment, but TCU may have missed an opportunity to take over Glen Garden Country Club a few years ago and transform it into a top-notch facility and the east anchor of the Berry corridor revitalization. Here's why:
  • History: This is the course where Nelson and Hogan learned the game and competed against each other as teenagers. The place was a living golf museum. Same architect as Colonial. It's the latest badge of honor for a golf architect to redesign a classic course, preserving its character and original design concept while updating for modern play and maintenance. Designers would have jumped at the opportunity.

• Investment Opportunity: I haven't been to the area in years, but I see that adjoining census tract 1045.05 (Berry just east of 35) is already classified as gentrified. Lots of opportunity. An investment in the course would have accelerated that.

• Academic tie-ins: Urban planning, social work, entrepreneurship, education -- there are so many fields where proximity to an urban redevelopment zone could create great opportunities for students and faculty to engage in meaningful ways.
The primary downsides would probably have been the lack of land on the course itself for 18 holes plus practice space, along with the power lines that run across it. Would have required purchasing additional land or conversion to a nine-hole course. I think the latter would have been do-able; saving the best holes and reworking the rest into world-class practice space.

I don't live in FW and haven't been to that area in many years. I understand a distillery took over the property. Anyone visited there or know the backstory on that?

Last edited:

First Tee Frog

Most of the facilities I mentioned aren't "campus" courses. UT golf club is a good 45 minutes from campus. It's about having a dedicated practice facility that is "yours". Having locker rooms, and team rooms that are yours. Having access to the top technology for player development (3D mocap, trackman, swing catalyst force plate, SAM PuttLab) at your fingertips. We have none of that.

Bill Bozeat

Most of the facilities I mentioned aren't "campus" courses. UT golf club is a good 45 minutes from campus. It's about having a dedicated practice facility that is "yours". Having locker rooms, and team rooms that are yours. Having access to the top technology for player development (3D mocap, trackman, swing catalyst force plate, SAM PuttLab) at your fingertips. We have none of that.
Thought the Chicken Express guy offered his course outside Weatherford to team And was told too far

First Tee Frog

Thought the Chicken Express guy offered his course outside Weatherford to team And was told too far

Which course? There have been a number of options over the last few years that for one reason or another have not panned out. It's not an easy fix. SMU got creative and partnered with the city of Dallas, at&t, and the Byron Nelson/salesmanship club to make an awesome new facility.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Which course? There have been a number of options over the last few years that for one reason or another have not panned out. It's not an easy fix. SMU got creative and partnered with the city of Dallas, at&t, and the Byron Nelson/salesmanship club to make an awesome new facility.
Oddly their website lists both Trinity Forest and DAC as the "home" of mustang golf.

TCURiggs

Chicken E course would be Canyon West

First Tee Frog

Chicken E course would be Canyon West

Gotcha. Canyon west would need a lot of work/$ before it was of any value. I don't know what the offer was or any details on that one. I know a couple other things that have been presented that didn't work that would make far more sense than canyon west.

JogginFrog

Gotcha. Canyon west would need a lot of work/$ before it was of any value. I don't know what the offer was or any details on that one. I know a couple other things that have been presented that didn't work that would make far more sense than canyon west.

As much as can be said, what were the things that didn't work?

First Tee Frog

It came down to money. There was an opportunity that made a lot of sense but TCU did not want to put the resources necessary towards it. This was within the last year.

To be fair it was not cheap and I am not sure it would make sense from a financial perspective but everything else was a good fit.