• The KillerFrogs

TCU Football: The best of the best -- Safety

EdKamen

SAFETIES

No position on defense has been altered by the arrival of Gary Patterson and his 4-2-5 defense more than safety. Not only does it employ three safeties, but one – strong safety (like White, Hodge and Jones) – is more like an extremely fast linebacker. Pre-GP, you can almost count on one hand the number of hard-hitting, fast and sticky-fingered safeties TCU has had.

1 -- Tejay Johnson (’11): The most amazing fact in the amazing career of Johnson is that as a sophomore he was the only member of TCU’s defensive 11 to NOT be named all-conference. And he wound up being the best of the bunch. Consensus All-American in 2010, a Jim Thorpe Award finalist and two-time All-MWC, he was the defensive “quarterback” at free safety on the nation’s best defense in ’08, ’09 and ’10 – the only starter on all three top-ranked squads.

2 -- Marvin White (’07): If not for Johnson, it would be a no-brainer who TCU’s best-ever safety was. Check out YouTube if you want to see the famous WHAMMY he put on Texas Tech’s Robert Johnson – if you dare. No safety has ever been better in run support. He was ALWAYS around the football. A two-time, All-MWC wrecking machine, he led the Frogs in tackles AND interceptions on that awesome ’06 defense.

horak2.jpg
3 – Frank Horak (’67):
No. 19 was a second-team All-American and two-time All-SWC performer (in ’65 and ’66) for the great Abe Martin. He led the Frogs with six picks in ’66, often baiting quarterbacks to throw his way. The Caldwell native was also one of four players in TCU history to return a kickoff 100 yards. Hey, the guy made Playboy’s 1966 All-American team too, so there.

4 – Lyle Blackwood (’73): Better known for his long, productive NFL career, especially with the Dolphins, he was All-SWC in 1971 and 1972 and a second-team All-American in ‘72. Known for his acrobatic interceptions (he had five in ’71 alone), he once intercepted two Washington Huskies passes for a TCU-record 104 return yards.

5 -- Byron Linwood (’85): The quiet menace from Pittsburg, Linwood was the defensive heart of Jim Wacker’s best team, the 8-4 1984 squad. All-Southwest Conference that season at strong safety, he flew to the football and hardly ever missed a tackle.

6 -- Stephen Hodge (’09): Maybe the hardest-hitting Frog safety of all time, he was a two-time All-MWC performer, who also excelled on special teams. Can you say bone-crunching? He’s most remembered for his outstanding play – and huge interception off Kellen Moore -- against Boise State in the ’08 Poinsettia Bowl.

7 -- Sam Baugh (’37): Dutch Meyer called him the “greatest athlete I ever saw” and who are we to argue? No. 45 from Sweetwater was a two-time All-American (consensus in ’36) and College Football Hall-of-Famer. Not only a legendary passer and punter – yes punter! – but ol’ Sammy was a pretty doggone good tackler and defender as a safety. Fun fact: He was twice All-SWC in baseball!

newton.jpg
8 – Falanda Newton (’89):
The 1988 Rogers Trophy winner as TCU MVP, the dude could cover A LOT of ground – fast. He was a 1987 All-Southwest Conference choice for the rebuilding, NCAA-sanctioned Frogs and hauled in 15 career interceptions for a school-record 274 return yards, including an 85-yard return against Houston in ’86. He had 302 career tackles, 20 in one game.

9 -- Colin Jones (’11): Already a special teams star, injury cost him much of his junior year, but he came back with a vengeance as a senior -- seemingly playing better every week – climaxing with a peerless performance in the 2011 Rose Bowl. Only a Mountain West second-teamer, he nonetheless typified the “hybrid” safety under Patterson – linebacker tough and cornerback fast.

10 (tie) -- Reggie Hunt (’00): Patterson’s first star safety (when he was defensive coordinator), he was a first-team, All-WAC pick as a junior and a second-teamer as a senior on TCU’s co-conference champs in 1999. Also a talented kick returner, he finished with 271 career tackles, three interceptions and three sacks.

10 (tie) – David Roach (’08): Sometimes lost amid the White/Buchanan/Bonner/Coleman/Hodge buzzsaw, Roach was a killer open-field tackler and blitzer at both weak safety and free safety. He was second-team All-MWC in 2007.

10 (tie) -- Brian Bonner (’08): Versatile (he played all three safety positions) and quick, Bonner also had some of TCU’s biggest hits. Remember? KA-POW! Second-team All-MWC as a junior, he was also a two-time, all-conference selection as a punt returner.

Honorable Mention -- Jimmy Lawrence (’36), Marvin Godbolt (’05), Curtis Fuller (’01), Allanda Smith (’84), Jeremy Modkins (’06), Tekerrein Cuba (’12)

Next: The Offense; Center

Planks

I'll agree with any list that has Teejay Johnson number 1. He is the most important player of the Gary Patterson era.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
I always wonder what Hodge could have done in the NFL if he had knees. Johnson may have been an NFL great, but had another calling.

TheFDN

Falanda Newton not getting enough respect.
Curtis Fuller is Top 10 for me. Bonner as well.
Greg Evans should get a HM at minimum.

jake102

I always wonder what Hodge could have done in the NFL if he had knees. Johnson may have been an NFL great, but had another calling.

My favorite TCU player ever... was really disappointed his knees were worthless.

Tejay Johnson is the pretty obvious #1 here... I didn't realize how much he did until I saw our FS play this year. Night and day. Our corners are going to get beat from time to time, but our FS can't get beat or be out of position.

Tejay was one of the greatest defensive players TCU has had. I pray to God our defensive secondary can get back on track this upcoming season. After the Baylor and smoo games I realized how big of a loss he was.

SwissArmyFrog

This list is so short on measurables it's not even funny.

Can we see your lists with accompanying info? You've done a fair amount of asserting on the lists - can we hear the reasoning behind your assertions?

I applaud Ed for having the guts to put his thoughts into a public forum, and glad to hear you say you appreciate the effort..

ftwfrog

A list without Marvin Godbolt in the Top 10 is a list I will not acknowledge.
That's a joke right?? My last memory of him is watching him make the Tulane Qb look like peyton manning in the season finale of 2005. The only year we didn't go to a bowl game of the LHCGP era.

pgdaly84

That's a joke right?? My last memory of him is watching him make the Tulane Qb look like peyton manning in the season finale of 2005. The only year we didn't go to a bowl game of the LHCGP era.

Agreed. Godbolt was a good player, but I wouldn't consider him Top 10. I'll always remember him as the doofus who looked into the camera and said "They ain't scoring today" right before Tech proceeded to drop 70 on us. That 2004 defense on which he was supposed to be a senior leader was by far the worst of the CGP era. This past year wasn't great, but the 2004 D made 2011 look like the Iron Curtain.

Punter1

First off....Tony Rand should be on this list. Not the CB list. And Greg Evans is a Top 8 at worst. Also Curtis Fuller is a Top 8 at worst also. Falanda Newton is Top 5 also.

Maybe the weakest effort I've seen yet. Marvin White at 2 is just nuts.

And he left off perhaps the hardest hitting player in TCU history...played from 94-97. A safety from Louisiana. Kudos to first person that gets it. He should be HM at worst.