• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

AddRan Clark

To line some things up, my understanding of the timeline for currently pipelined projects is:

Opening fall 2018:
- Next phase of Worth Hills (last of the Greek houses)
- Kelly Center expansion

Opening fall 2019:
- Moudy North (fashion, costume studio, etc)
- AGCS East expansion
- 2 additional dorms in Worth Hills
- Some portion of the Neeley expansion
- Also note this is the year the Med School opens

Opening fall 2020:
- School of Music Building
- Balance of the Neeley expansion
- New central administration building*

*This one, as I understand, is more tentative and will be followed by reopening of a renovated Sadler 12-18 months later for the Honors College with a slight reconfiguration in Scharbauer with Honors moving out.

There are other projects in the works and as always everything depends on fundraising, but these are the big items moving right now. Keep an eye on possible addition of a BLUU expansion, more housing, another phase of Lupton renovations, and though less likely possible parking structure on the east side all in the 2019-2021 timeframe.

I had no idea the administration was moving out of Sadler. There's so many construction updates I can't keep track of them all. I would hope that the lobby is kept mostly the same.

Perhaps the building is just too old to be as function as a new building? I can't imagine that Boschini likes the old Jim Crow era bathroom positioning, either.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Bold prediction: within 15 years TCU will buy the zoo and build dorms in the primate habitat.

....to become the new Zoo (i.e. Milton Daniel north). Speaking of north. My dad, class of ‘54, used to tell me that the old Spanish looking apartments on 3 corner University, Park Hill, Rogers was once up for sale by owner offered only to TCU who passed with no interest. Course this may have been early 50’s but wow what a footprint that woulda put on the neighborhood. Also, those little shops on corner University & Park Hill seem to turn over new owners every year. Since no ones making $$ there why doesn’t campus buy them up as well as the old Rhea Ingert land.

Considering the scope of the capital expenditures required to fund these projects....is the University

optimistic in their expectations that the necessary resources will be forthcoming? Particularly, the

Carter's east side expansion.

Brog

Always informative, thanks.
Sure hope Sadler Lobby is maintained as is.
Distinctive, historical, quiet, respectful.
Would be a crying a** shame to gut that for 2 more sub-cubicle offices.

Since the new Music Village is going across the street from Rees-Jones, are there any plans to develop the original site across from University Methodist on Berry?

That square block across from University Methodist on Berry will be the site of a hotel TCU is to build/lease on the site. Hasn't there been a post on that somewhere before? Seem to remember it.

4 Oaks Frog

That square block across from University Methodist on Berry will be the site of a hotel TCU is to build/lease on the site. Hasn't there been a post on that somewhere before? Seem to remember it.

Was told Saturday by a deacon of University Methodist that TCU approached them about selling the church to TCU. The church passed...
Spit Blood~~<~< and [Baylor asshoe]!

LeagueCityFrog

Rumors that TCU is building their own medical school facility and medical incubation invention village for enterprenuers by John Peter Smith hospital. If true, hopefully that will help economically propel that area of Fort Worth upward. TCU better find a way to protect their students if it is there. Decent amount of crime in that area. See Univeristy of Houston and Texas Southern for details for a similar situation.

Brog

Rumors that TCU is building their own medical school facility and medical incubation invention village for enterprenuers by John Peter Smith hospital. If true, hopefully that will help economically propel that area of Fort Worth upward. TCU better find a way to protect their students if it is there. Decent amount of crime in that area. See Univeristy of Houston and Texas Southern for details for a similar situation.

Just have to ask. What is a "medical incubation invention village"?

TCUdirtbag

They’ve been looking for land so this isn’t surprising. School will open on UNTHSC campus but future building will be closer to the hospital(s) they partner with. JPS is a crucial partner for the school. Both for students and providing needed residencies. It is not surprising they would look to locate nearby.

Bringing up security is kind of silly. UTSW has a partnership with Parkland. UTMB-Houston with Ben Taub etc. Med schools partner with major public hospitals because their students need training and the hospitals need all the help they can get. The professionals running the MD school and the hospitals secure their employees every day. They know what they’re doing.

Latest posts