• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

TCUdirtbag

A cap campaign to raise $1b for the endowment would be very, very smart.

There's a capital campaign ongoing. Endowment is part of it. But not $1B of it.

For reference, SMU did a decade-long $1B campaign and didn't get near that much for the endowment. They sold off the naming rights to basically every college and school and that was all during the Bush money influx.

There's a capital campaign ongoing. Endowment is part of it. But not $1B of it.

For reference, SMU did a decade-long $1B campaign and didn't get near that much for the endowment. They sold off the naming rights to basically every college and school and that was all during the Bush money influx.

More short term focus from the board, I fear. TCU's financial model isn't setup to work in 30 years. We NEED a larger endowment covering a greater % of annual costs.

FIFY. Though if you know where to look some of it is out there. And your "the board is clueless" insinuation was just laughably wrong.

You are one of the best posters on this board... Except when you decide to have the "you're wrong/I'm right" fight with posters like me, DP, etc... Folks are entitled to their opinions and perspectives.

TCUdirtbag

Some news today. The School of Music Building has been reconfigured from the earlier Berry St plan. The $60 M-ish project will be half university-funded and half donor-funded. Plans to break ground in May. Will be located roughly between Rees-Jones and the new Moudy North project breaking ground this spring. Includes performance and practice venues for the School of Music. The university is doing some site prep already, and the City has approved some zoning and street closures to expand the East campus footprint accordingly.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/growth/article189471584.html

gAYjRK6.jpg

nh15ZET.jpg

27jGaLi.jpg

ma3GVBV.jpg

pYIQxKF.jpg

vqT17ul.jpg

Last edited:

TCUdirtbag

To line some things up, my understanding of the timeline for currently pipelined projects is:

Opening fall 2018:
- Next phase of Worth Hills (last of the Greek houses)
- Kelly Center expansion

Opening fall 2019:
- Moudy North (fashion, costume studio, etc)
- AGCS East expansion
- 2 additional dorms in Worth Hills
- Some portion of the Neeley expansion
- Also note this is the year the Med School opens

Opening fall 2020:
- School of Music Building
- Balance of the Neeley expansion
- New central administration building*

*This one, as I understand, is more tentative and will be followed by reopening of a renovated Sadler 12-18 months later for the Honors College with a slight reconfiguration in Scharbauer with Honors moving out.

There are other projects in the works and as always everything depends on fundraising, but these are the big items moving right now. Keep an eye on possible addition of a BLUU expansion, more housing, another phase of Lupton renovations, and though less likely possible parking structure on the east side all in the 2019-2021 timeframe.

Last edited:

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Always informative, thanks.
Sure hope Sadler Lobby is maintained as is.
Distinctive, historical, quiet, respectful.
Would be a crying a** shame to gut that for 2 more sub-cubicle offices.

Since the new Music Village is going across the street from Rees-Jones, are there any plans to develop the original site across from University Methodist on Berry?

TCUdirtbag

Always informative, thanks.
Sure hope Sadler Lobby is maintained as is.
Distinctive, historical, quiet, respectful.
Would be a crying a** shame to gut that for 2 more sub-cubicle offices.

Since the new Music Village is going across the street from Rees-Jones, are there any plans to develop the original site across from University Methodist on Berry?

Sadler - I can’t imagine they’d destroy the lobby. Might spruce it up a bit, but the honors college is likely to get a very traditional look in line with it.

Berry - will remain parking for now and will be available for future development. The music building being built is smaller than the old music village facility they discussed but the location adjacent to the Moudy complex and across from the landrefh/Walsh complex makes a lot more sense and keeps the college of fine arts in one area. I think this is a great change.