• The KillerFrogs

TCU Baseball 2018: Summer Thread

PO Frog

I'm no expert but maybe he should have taken the summer off, get away from baseball for a month or two and relax. Then come back for fall practice, tanned, rested and ready
Certainly seems like that would have been preferable, in hindsight.

Pharm Frog

I'm no expert but maybe he should have taken the summer off, get away from baseball for a month or two and relax. Then come back for fall practice, tanned, rested and ready

Probably could have used some time away from the weight room in my opinion and focused on flex and agility. Still finding it hard to believe that he's 100% healthy and at optimal vision. Just too much difference between freshman year and sophomore year offensively and defensively.

Raw Frog

Josh has been puzzling to me. He had a great freshman year and everything looked like it would build up from there. I played college baseball, so I have some insight into his plight. This post is my pure speculation, so please don't think I know something about him personally, or am pulling against him in any way. I want nothing more than for him to do well.

He is no doubt a gifted athlete. He is usually introduced as a dual athlete from HS, being a LB on the football team with Myles Garrett etc....therein lies some of the problem. He is muscled up and tight like a LB. Couple that with the mentality of a LB, and you have a recipe for frustration on the baseball field.

He gives me the impression from the way he carries himself that he is a football player that plays baseball. Outfielders at the high level where our team is, usually are light footed and bounce around out there in a loose fashion. When there is a runner to gun down from a long fly ball, the OF usually will catch it with some momentum going forward, step-step-hop and throw...he is rather flat footed and tightly wound. Not loose.

At the plate, my speculation is that his problems began his freshman year. I cannot remember who we were playing, but Josh absolutely crushed a ball for a HR worthy of a measurement. He was batting left handed. It was a thing of beauty, and no doubt was almost an intoxicating event for Josh. I had one of those in HS myself, and I know how it affected me. I tried to emulate it thereafter, and until the coach called me out on it and pointed back to that at bat, I was almost in a dream world to myself chasing it. My batting average suffered a lot, and I was trying to crush every at bat to catch the wave again. There was no just hitting for a base hit type of thinking going on.

Anyways, I think that at bat has affected Josh in a similar way. He is way too tight at the plate. He does not look loose at the plate. He looks like he wants to bone crush the ball with a hammer fist blow, as opposed to swinging with extension out in front of the plate. His lack of extension is what is causing him to have no power at all. He is probably gripping the bat in a death hold with white knuckles, looking for that pitch to hit for a tape measured HR. Not going to happen.

I hope he figures it out this year, and maybe the coaches can help him with the mental aspect as well as the physical mechanics of his swing. I assume that he can see the ball ok, and has no vision problem.
All that said, I would like to see someone challenge him for that starting spot. It may force him to make some changes to his approach that will make him a better baseball player.

Sorry for the long post, but after all, it is the off season...
Go Frogs!!!

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Is this supposed to be evidence of not slumping? He's hitting .240 and has one home run for the summer. That makes a total of two HRs for his last 300 or so ABs.

No, it's just evidence that he hit a home run. I'm happy for him. You are free to feel however you like about it.

TCUdirtbag

GoFrogs.com roster updates:
Franson, Ingraham and Sturges are no longer on the roster.
Alec Creel and Dion Henderson were officially redshirted in 2017 and still have 4 years of eligibility remaining.

Punter1

So you wanted him to take the summer AND spring off???

***I feel entitled to that shot since I advocated last winter moving Josh to the 2 hole and predicting 17 homers and a .400+ OBP.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
So you wanted him to take the summer AND spring off???

***I feel entitled to that shot since I advocated last winter moving Josh to the 2 hole and predicting 17 homers and a .400+ OBP.
Feel free to take your shot but I don't believe that I said take the spring off, just the summer

boonecountyman

WVU loses a starter to transfer.Cole Austin to transfer to Arizona State.Hate to lose a quality player,but the position can be filled easily as depth and recruiting is good.Lose a good bat in the line-up.No reason given for the transfer.Leaving a team with possible tournament projections to a team that was sub 500 in the Pac12.

Purp

WVU loses a starter to transfer.Cole Austin to transfer to Arizona State.Hate to lose a quality player,but the position can be filled easily as depth and recruiting is good.Lose a good bat in the line-up.No reason given for the transfer.Leaving a team with possible tournament projections to a team that was sub 500 in the Pac12.
I don't think girls at ASU have hairy armpits and overalls. ;-)

boonecountyman

I don't think girls at ASU have hairy armpits and overalls. ;-)
ASU women were the first thing I thought of when I saw the transfer.Sometimes you have look past the superficial woman and get the real deal.

Attachments

• conspiracy-nuts-conspiracy-tinfoil-hat-demotivational-posters-1336623150.jpg
    conspiracy-nuts-conspiracy-tinfoil-hat-demotivational-posters-1336623150.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 11