• The KillerFrogs

TCU 360: Women’s basketball attendance is still “not where it needs to be”

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU 360: Women’s basketball attendance is still “not where it needs to be”

Written by Madison Fowler

The student attendance at TCU women’s basketball games follows the national unstable trend.

Assistant director of marketing for the women’s basketball program, Jackie Torda, describes the attendance as unfortunate.

“It’s not where it needs to be,” she said.

According to Torda, there has been a department-wide trend of decreasing student attendance. From fall 2016, decreasing attendance from students has gone up for men’s and for women’s.

Read more at https://www.tcu360.com/2017/03/womens-basketball-attendance-is-still-not-where-it-needs-to-be/

TCU2002

The chart in the article indicating that the average attendance for women's basketball across the NCAA is 5,000+ can't be right. Maybe for the Big 12? Or for NCAA *tournament* games?

TCUdirtbag

Win and fans will show up. Not in men's bball numbers. There are lord of things to do in DFW, and watching a women's bball team that doesn't even make the WNIT isn't going to get fans to the arena. WBB has the resources to succeed. More consistency out of the young players will go a long way - I suspect they'll have a better year next year as the young players get more experience.

Frog45

Ticket Exchange Pass
The "problem" is that nobody cares about women's basketball.

I coach HS girls basketball in the DFW area, and this is true including of the kids who play the sport. I went on a small rant on my players Friday because I heard a few of them say they had no idea the Final Four was even being played in Dallas.

Every College program (D1 or D2) in this area will let a HS player in for FREE if their coach signs them up on a passlist. I also asked them how many had seen a WNBA game since a team moved to the area. 1 kid out of 30 in the period raised their hand.

If you ask girls who won the MVP or Final Four or WNBA Championship, 95% of them would have no clue. However, you go over to boys basketball and ask the same question about the men's side, and 80% plus will know.

I told the kids if you want people to respect your game maybe you should pay attention to it and respect it yourself.

AND as for our women's team.... Win and people will show. I watched many a baseball game in 2001 in front of about 35 people.

tcudoc

If we get to the point that our Women's BB games are the biggest show in town, we have become Baylor. If the program is winning, attendance will likely still be modest. It is what it is.

Wexahu

The "problem" is that nobody cares about women's basketball.

That is the problem, and it's really the only problem. And its a problem that really has no solution. ESPN has tried to force women's basketball on people for 20 years and the only thing people are even mildly interested in is the Final Four.

Heck, we had a pretty decent men's team this year coached by a pretty high profile guy and most home games, I bet if you counted butts in seats, there were barely 5,000 people there. How the heck do the women think they could ever draw 1,000? It's just not very entertaining and there are way too many other things to do.

I had to chuckle at the fact we actually have an Assistant Marketing Director for the WBB team.

Pharm Frog

Do they really need an Assistant Director of Marketing for the women’s basketball program?

Haven't read the article and don't plan to but if its about low attendance for women's basketball, perhaps what is needed is a New Director of Marketing for the program. Just kidding. I don't know about title-bands at TCU but surprised that this would be a "director" role. Always possible that "director" is akin to staffer. Attendance will be sparse win or lose but better with winning.

Wexahu

I'll watch an LPGA Tour event if there's nothing else on TV and I'll watch the Olympics. Other than that I have zero interest in any women's sport.

I've been to a couple games. The worst part is the lack of energy in the building. Most women's team should be playing in 1,000-2,000 seat gyms at most, not the same arena the men play in. I think people who do go just think its boring as heck because it "feels" like you're watching a practice or something because there's hardly anybody there. The poor attendance just kind of feeds on itself.

finafrog

I remember watching TCU almost pull an upset v Pat Summit and Tennessee back when we were good. No attendance problems.